Which crimp die for 8 awg MC 4 connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which crimp die for 8 awg MC 4 connectors

Some of you will probably roll your eyes and shake your head.

I am down to my very last connections and ran into a corundum. I just don't want to mess up as I only have a few MC 4 connectors.

They are 8 awg and have a thick barrel fitting for the wire similar to these. https://www.amazon.com/Witproton-Con...5775144&sr=8-3

My crimper has several dies that could work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do I use one if the ferrule dies (10WF or 35WF) or the 10N for a non insulated barrel. My gut says the 10N as it appears to create a stronger crimp and the fitting wall is thicker than the typical ferrule.

Its real hot on the roof, but I got the panels installed and attachment points sealed. I decided to stop before I made a mess and got overheated. Ill get up early tomorrow and finish up.

Also how did you folks secure your wires? I am thinking of just putting a glob of self leveling sealant.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
    Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    Also how did you folks secure your wires? I am thinking of just putting a glob of self leveling sealant.
    I don't know about the MC4 connectors, Keith. I didn't have to crimp connectors onto my panels.

For securing the wires, I attached self-adhesive cable tie mounts about every four feet. I zip-tied the wire(s) to the mount and then buried the mount in sealant. Has worked so far...

I bought mounts with VHB tape on the back. Multiple choices available from any number of online suppliers. I used high-quality, weather-resistant ties, too, but at some point they will need replacing.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	sealant.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	60048
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      I used self leveling sealant to secure satellite wires in the past. It worked fine but was kind of sloppy. I tested Eternabond tape for a few of my solar wires but that failed in the heat. They just stretched out and didn't secure the wires. I did however use small strips of the tape. Large strips would have worked fine. I then tried the self adhesive cable tie mounts that Howard mentioned. I was up on the roof last night to check my solar panels and wiring to make sure everything looked OK before hitting the road this morning. The cables looked fine. They've been up there since late March and we've driven about 2,000 miles. I didn't really expect them to work but so far they look fine.

I think Howard's approach is what I'll end up doing long term. The roof sealant will definitely secure the cable mounts to the roof and the cable mounts have the handy loop for running zip ties. My goal was to use no screws as I've already drilled more than enough holes in my roof!
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks - for whatever reason I did not think about using the zip tie squares. I have plenty so will go that route.

Have a great weekend
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update
          The only die that would work is the 10N - HOWEVER I discovered the ferrules are very brittle and over crimping will break them. I should have gotten my lug crimper up there. I would have used it for the hex crimping it does - just hindsight as it does go down to 10 awg. It also keeps things straight.

Comment

Working...
          X