Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: 15a Shore power in covered storage to charge batteries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: 15a Shore power in covered storage to charge batteries.

I have a Go Power AE-4 (760w / 4 battle born batteries / 2000w inverter with a MPPT 60a controller) on our new Reflections 260rd.

My question is:
    I am in a covered storage, the inverter is off, will the batteries be charged if plugged into a 15a service?

Originally posted by Ca Scott View Post
    I have a Go Power AE-4 (760w / 4 battle born batteries / 2000w inverter with a MPPT 60a controller) on our new Reflections 260rd.

My question is:
    I am in a covered storage, the inverter is off, will the batteries be charged if plugged into a 15a service?
    Is your Go Power an inverter/charger (that's what my Victron Multiplus is--it is both an inverter and charger). Obviously if the unit is OFF it won't charge.

What normally charges your 4 Battle Borns (besides the solar)?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Is your Go Power an inverter/charger (that's what my Victron Multiplus is--it is both an inverter and charger). Obviously if the unit is OFF it won't charge.

What normally charges your 4 Battle Borns (besides the solar)?
      Thanks for your input. It is my understanding that the system has a pass-thru for shore power and was not sure if the inverter needs to be on or off with this feature.
      I am new to the trailer and solar so the primary charge for the batteries if not plugged into shore power is the solar. I can confirm that the system charged via solar and inverter was off (tested at first uncovered storage).
      Last edited by Ca Scott; 07-25-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca Scott View Post

Thanks for your input. It is my understanding that the system has a pass-thru for shore power and was not sure if the inverter needs to be on or off with this feature.
        The term "Inverter", aka "Inverting", is a function of the GoPower component. Charging is likely another function of the GoPower. I write that assuming the GoPower is similar to my Victron. When plugged into shore power the charger function works to keep the batteries charged.

The pass-thru is just that--the trailer is powered on (probably) just a single leg, or side, of the main panel. Easy enough to test to see what 120v outlets or components work and which ones do not. Just be careful not to exceed the 15A capacity of the storage circuit.

That brings up another topic for you to consider: 4 Battle Born batteries can draw a lot of charging power. Not sure what the GoPower will provide, but if it will send more than 150A of 12vDC (which is approximately the same as 15A of 120vAC) you'll want to find and set a charging limit below 150A so the breaker isn't blown in the storage lot.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

The term "Inverter", aka "Inverting", is a function of the GoPower component. Charging is likely another function of the GoPower. I write that assuming the GoPower is similar to my Victron. When plugged into shore power the charger function works to keep the batteries charged.

The pass-thru is just that--the trailer is powered on (probably) just a single leg, or side, of the main panel. Easy enough to test to see what 120v outlets or components work and which ones do not. Just be careful not to exceed the 15A capacity of the storage circuit.

That brings up another topic for you to consider: 4 Battle Born batteries can draw a lot of charging power. Not sure what the GoPower will provide, but if it will send more than 150A of 12vDC (which is approximately the same as 15A of 120vAC) you'll want to find and set a charging limit below 150A so the breaker isn't blown in the storage lot.

Howard
          Howard, thank you for all the information / input.

Comment

Ca Scott -- I didn't explain the pass-thru very well. A better way to test which side is passed through the GoPower is to turn OFF the unit. The side of the trailer that does not work (when plugged into shore power) is the leg of the shore power that passes through the Go Power.

Comment

Ca Scott -- I didn't explain the pass-thru very well. A better way to test which side is passed through the GoPower is to turn OFF the unit. The side of the trailer that does not work (when plugged into shore power) is the leg of the shore power that passes through the Go Power.
              Thanks Howard. I need to spend some time staring at the system to see how this one is set up in respect to charging the batteries whether it is from the array or shore or generator.

Comment

If you have Go Power IC 2000 inverter charger they work a little different and the battery charger may not come on when you plug it into AC.. If that is what you have, do you have the remote control panel?

If this is the case I will respond with a complete description of how they work.

John

Comment

Working...
                X