Imagine XLS Solar Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine XLS Solar Prep

I am installing solar on my 2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE. The solar prep is only a 10 awg so I need to upgrade that to a 4awg. Is it possible to use the 10awg as a pull wire to pull the 4awg through the same path?
    Ron Davis-Patricia Wilkens-Davis
    Imagine XLS 22RBE

Originally posted by RonD View Post
    I am installing solar on my 2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE. The solar prep is only a 10 awg so I need to upgrade that to a 4awg. Is it possible to use the 10awg as a pull wire to pull the 4awg through the same path?
    Ron,
    Congrats on the solar install. I'm curious why you think you need 4 AWG wire? Most of the sites I follow only specify 10 AWG as they put their solar panels in series, increasing the voltage, thereby being to use a smaller gauge wire. For example, I am installing two 170 watt panels on my 17 MKE. They are 29 volt Oc each. In series that will increase the voltage by a factor of 2, 58 volts and keep the amperage the same. The MPPT charge controller will then convert the extra voltage to amperage so I will have 14 volts going to the battery with increased amperage. If I add more panels I can add them in parallel ( as long as the voltage is the same) and then increase my amperage. I use Victron for both the solar charge controller and the meter (BMV-712).
    Check this site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0vrTAa50s
    Last edited by prahawalker; 07-29-2021, 02:01 PM.
    Jeff & Pam
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

I purchased my equipment as a kit from AM Solar which includes nearly 500 watts of Zamp solar panels. Wiring them parallel does require heavier wire but gives me faster charging for my 4 Battleborn 100Ah batteries. The configuration follows the recommendations from AM Solar.

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post

Ron,
      Congrats on the solar install. I'm curious why you think you need 4 AWG wire? Most of the sites I follow only specify 10 AWG as they put their solar panels in series, increasing the voltage, thereby being to use a smaller gauge wire. For example, I am installing two 170 watt panels on my 17 MKE. They are 29 volt Oc each. In series that will increase the voltage by a factor of 2, 58 volts and keep the amperage the same. The MPPT charge controller will then convert the extra voltage to amperage so I will have 14 volts going to the battery with increased amperage. If I add more panels I can add them in parallel ( as long as the voltage is the same) and then increase my amperage. I use Victron for both the solar charge controller and the meter (BMV-712).
      Check this site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0vrTAa50s
      Imagine XLS 22RBE

Comment

Originally posted by RonD View Post
        I purchased my equipment as a kit from AM Solar which includes nearly 500 watts of Zamp solar panels. Wiring them parallel does require heavier wire but gives me faster charging for my 4 Battleborn 100Ah batteries. The configuration follows the recommendations from AM Solar.

Their recommendation was to wire all of them in parallel? Do you have a PWM charge controller?
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post

Their recommendation was to wire all of them in parallel? Do you have a PWM charge controller?
          Victron MPPT 100 50. Yes it was their recommendation based on my specific install.
          Imagine XLS 22RBE

Comment

RonD -- to your original question, yes, that's exactly what I'd attempt (use the existing wire to pull new wire). Hopefully the existing wire isn't stapled or tied off somewhere--be super careful and take your time. Maybe even include a string "safety line" to it's possible to pull the 10 ga back up if something goes haywire?

I also used 4ga wire from the junction box on the roof to the MPPT controller. My setup is series/parallel, but with solar minimizing losses in the wiring is absolutely worth it to get maximum system performance. (Not debating that 10ga will or won't work, just that 4ga will reduce loss between the junction box and controller for relatively low voltage applications. Will Prowse has an excellent video on this exact topic showing how wiring & connection losses in a solar system can add up to reduce system performance.)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just a word of warning....Those lines are usually secured within the wall. You probably won't be pulling the wire through that path. Not sure of your floorplan but running a new line down the refrigerator vent then to your underbelly might be an easier path.
              Hope this helps,
              Brian
              2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

A great resource is Nat from EXPLORIST life - DIY Campers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0vrTAa50s
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki3WXVR48eM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ5zCY5EBeQ
                Jeff & Pam
                2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
                X