Solar install location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar install location

I am planning on installing my 4 lithium ion batteries along with the charging components under the bed. There is a wall between the under the bed compartment and the passthru. I am not on my Imagine xls if I can safely drill a hole through the wall for cable routing to the inverter which will be installed in the passthru. Is the wall just a single layer or is there space between where electrical or plumbing could be routed that I wouldn't want to drill through.
    Ron Davis-Patricia Wilkens-Davis
    Imagine XLS 22RBE

Originally posted by RonD View Post
    I am planning on installing my 4 lithium ion batteries along with the charging components under the bed. There is a wall between the under the bed compartment and the passthrough . I am not on my Imagine xls if I can safely drill a hole through the wall for cable routing to the inverter which will be installed in the passthrough. Is the wall just a single layer or is there space between where electrical or plumbing could be routed that I wouldn't want to drill through.
    I have a 17MKE and recently did this. I took off the wall in the passthrough so I could identify the Aluminum posts. If you can see them you don't need to remove them. There are only the wood on the two panels of wood. You just don't want to bore through the posts. Are you adding a plywood mounting board in the passthrough? Here is my installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210618_115112.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	61867Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium and lithium charger.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	61868
    Jeff & Pam
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post

I have a 17MKE and recently did this. I took off the wall in the passthrough so I could identify the Aluminum posts. If you can see them you don't need to remove them. There are only the wood on the two panels of wood. You just don't want to bore through the posts. Are you adding a plywood mounting board in the passthrough? Here is my installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium and lithium charger.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	61868
      What is that mounted next to the batteries? It looks like a converter.
      Paul and Deb Cervone
      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I installed a Progressive Dynamics lithium charger/ converter. (PD 9100 series) The WFCO power station in the trailer is set for lead acid batteries. Until I can change that out this supplies the added voltage and charging pattern for the lithium. Or ... some day I may install a Victron all in one.
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Looking nice! How did you attach the panel to the side of the pass-through? Sounds like you didn’t want to drill any holes in those aluminum posts.
          2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
          2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L

Comment

Originally posted by dagraf View Post

Looking nice! How did you attach the panel to the side of the pass-through? Sounds like you didn’t want to drill any holes in those aluminum posts.
            I used sheet metal screws and attached into the vertical supports. Also, while the walls were off, I added some foam board insulation into the wall.
            Jeff & Pam
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

I upgraded with an additional Solar controller and added 320 watts of solar to the roof. I added a Victron 100/50 for the roof, looking to expand, and used the 100/30 for my portable 400 watts in groups of 200.
              Going to Yellowstone to try it out in September.

Jeff Click image for larger version

Name:	Upgrade solar.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	64081
              Jeff & Pam
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

I installed a Progressive Dynamics lithium charger/ converter. (PD 9100 series) The WFCO power station in the trailer is set for lead acid batteries. Until I can change that out this supplies the added voltage and charging pattern for the lithium. Or ... some day I may install a Victron all in one.
                I must have missed this post but can you explain how you wired this? Did you bypass the converter built into the power center? Did you run the power feed for the PD unit all the way to the power center or is it just plugged into a 110 outlet?
                Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I upgraded with an additional Solar controller and added 320 watts of solar to the roof. I added a Victron 100/50 for the roof, looking to expand, and used the 100/30 for my portable 400 watts in groups of 200.
                  Going to Yellowstone to try it out in September.

Jeff Click image for larger version

Name:	Upgrade solar.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	64081
                  Jeff - I like the way you mounted the meter in an electrical box. It even matches the color of the Victron components.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jeff - I like the way you mounted the meter in an electrical box. It even matches the color of the Victron components.

Jim
                    Jim, I started with a single gang box but it was 1/8 " too narrow. I went down to the hardware store to "design from the shelf" and saw the round box. Perfect fit and, yes, it was Victron blue.
                    Jeff & Pam
                    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
                    X