Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venting Front Bay ? Victron MultiPlus and MPPT air circulation for cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting Front Bay ? Victron MultiPlus and MPPT air circulation for cooling?

I got thinking today after packing the front bay - leaving plenty of room around the MultiPlus and the MPPT units that with the front bay door closed there is no air circulation. I thought of adding a louvered vent to the door, but when driving in the rain water would get in. Is there a waterproof louvered vent that might fit our units?

Or I could add a second battery vent fitting to the left side and run tubing high then down to below the Multiplus and to below the MPPY units.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Thoughts?

On a side note I discovered when plugged into shore power the MPPT units provide nothing to the batterys as the MultiPlus charger seems to override. Charger is in absorption/float mode. In fact the display shows -2W (bounces between zero and -2W) going back to the PV unit. Fridge is pulling roughly 50W when on.

And a funny note - while under the trailer greasing the wet bolts I hear a sudden roaring noise - made me jump. The AC had come on. It somehow remembered the last settings. Took a bit of fumbling but I got the power button to work. Just threw me for a loop. The floor and coroplast amplified the sound. I thought the fridge had gone wonky as I just turned it on so we could load food Friday.

Well back to packing.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda

My solar controller is in the front closet--probably the hottest part of the trailer as I documented in another thread. The Multiplus has lived in the front passthru without the benefit of added ventilation, and is (somewhat) crowded by all the other "stuff" being stored there. I've ensured below and above the Multiplus is always open, though, to ensure it can "breath".

So far...no issues. Anecdotal at best, but lately it's been smoking hot in NW Florida. I'm monitoring my battery temps via VictronConnect (I'm about 9 hours away due to a family issue) and so far everything continues to operate without a hitch. The DW and I left in such a hurry the refrigerator is still on in the camper and it's fully stocked with food, so I do not want to turn anything off.

As always, YMMV.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Yoda

My solar controller is in the front closet--probably the hottest part of the trailer as I documented in another thread. The Multiplus has lived in the front passthru without the benefit of added ventilation, and is (somewhat) crowded by all the other "stuff" being stored there. I've ensured below and above the Multiplus is always open, though, to ensure it can "breath".

So far...no issues. Anecdotal at best, but lately it's been smoking hot in NW Florida. I'm monitoring my battery temps via VictronConnect (I'm about 9 hours away due to a family issue) and so far everything continues to operate without a hitch. The DW and I left in such a hurry the refrigerator is still on in the camper and it's fully stocked with food, so I do not want to turn anything off.

As always, YMMV.
      Thanks Howard
      Good to know I am worrying about nothing. You did get me curious - now I need to see if I can find my battery temps shown on the touch 50. The sensor is connected to the multiplus. I did check everything today - nothing overlay warm, supersizing. The hottest component was the CERBO GX and it was just warm to the touch. I guess I'll get out the infrared thermometer tomorrow.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda

In VictronConnect, click Show Details

Click image for larger version

Name:	details1.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	62658

Name:	details2.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	62659

The only place I can see temperature on the CCGX is when viewing the BMV-712 itself (which I'm sure you're aware of).

What is available on VictronConnect is a history of the temperatures. Look under Advanced.

Name:	battery history.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	62660
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks
          When I get a moment packing today Ill take a look. I am still amazed at everything the system does. It one investment I am glad you twisted my are to get

Comment

Working...
          X