Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MultiPlus giving low battery warning and shutting down. 93% SOC 12.1V ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Question - do I need to move the driver files into the Victron connect folder? Right now they are in a separate driver folder?

More later
    Keith
    No need to move the drivers.

Since Victron has 2 separate programs, Old/Legacy VEConfig and New/Current VictronConnect, they use different methods for the MK3-USB

VictronConnect is supposed to already be able to see the MK3-USB when using a computer. I have not used VictronConnect,on my laptop.

Guy Stewart with Victron using a Mac > MK3-USB >
    How to configure a Victron MultiPlus with VictronConnect using an MK3-USB adapter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lH3mF2cVaY

VEConfig does require the drivers be installed.
    Plug MK3-USB into computer
    Win button > search for Device Manager >
    Opened up Windows Device Manager & see Other Devices: MK3-USB Interface
    Select MK3-USB & update drivers, browse to folder VEConfig put the drivers in.
    Windows shows the MK3-USB in Ports as USB Serial Port (Com3)
    In VEConfig select the MK3-USB for comm with the Multiplus, Port Selection > Com 3 (USB Serial Port)
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-18-2021, 11:56 PM.
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Yoda Keith, not particular brand specific, but I have had a rubber encapsulated hanger for the cat spit the rubber out and it made funny noises. Also have seen and read about the internals in CAT's coming loose and making funny noises.

Does it only make the noise when slowing down and stop when the truck stops?? If noise when stopped, park, neutral, or drive (odd question to some people but it does make a difference)?

You might try running a dose of Kleen Diesel (silver bottle) through the fuel system. Any one of the injectors that is not spraying correctly in a diesel can cause strange vibrations and noises (I'm on my 4th diesel don't know how I would know that).

You could be a bit 'paranoid" after having work done. Been there done that.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Still no joy on getting DW's laptop to connect. I re-downloaded and installed drivers and reinstalled the Victron connect app. Still cant see the Multiplus. Victron config does not work either. It does not see the com port. Ill fix when I get home. I think the MK3 brick is OK as when plugged in alone the computer sets it up and says ready for use, however in settings it shows device but says no driver available. DW computer running windows 10, but computer is 8 to 10 years old.

Taking the truck to a dealer tomorrow - an hour away. Found wet cross member this afternoon. I don't think it was from the fan install either - different side. Everything else tight. Need to get up at 6AM to get there in time. Joseph - noise is idling at full stop. Have not tried neutral/reverse or park. Have my fingers crossed it is something simple.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Still no joy on getting DW's laptop to connect. I re-downloaded and installed drivers and reinstalled the Victron connect app. Still cant see the Multiplus. Victron config does not work either. It does not see the com port. Ill fix when I get home. I think the MK3 brick is OK as when plugged in alone the computer sets it up and says ready for use, however in settings it shows device but says no driver available. DW computer running windows 10, but computer is 8 to 10 years old.

Taking the truck to a dealer tomorrow - an hour away. Found wet cross member this afternoon. I don't think it was from the fan install either - different side. Everything else tight. Need to get up at 6AM to get there in time. Joseph - noise is idling at full stop. Have not tried neutral/reverse or park. Have my fingers crossed it is something simple.
          When you get home and settled let me know and if you want I can log into your wife laptop and get you sorted out. Probably the computer has an old driver its stuck with or something.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

When you get home and settled let me know and if you want I can log into your wife laptop and get you sorted out. Probably the computer has an old driver its stuck with or something.
            Thanks I know my desk top works so may just set up a table and give it a try first. After this trip I realized I needed my own laptop to go on trips so that in on my list for Black Friday along with a new rear observation camera.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks I know my desk top works so may just set up a table and give it a try first. After this trip I realized I needed my own laptop to go on trips so that in on my list for Black Friday along with a new rear observation camera.
              Keith
              Sounds good. We switched to laptops mainly for on the road last year. I run mine with a docking station so it doubles as my desktop. My wife runs one of the new M1 MacBooks and its battery life is insane, and its dead quiet and cool. I have the intel style 16" MacBook Pro, which while it runs hotter and does not have same battery life, can boot into both MacOS as well as Windows.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                Yoda Just jumping in to confirm you cannot change the inverter settings via Bluetooth, either laptop or I think an Android phone with a cable although I've never actually tried that.
                Whoa! You mean if I buy the $300 Cerbo GX monitor and the Multiplus II and connect them with an RJ45 UTP cable I can't use Bluetooth and Victron Connect on my phone to program the Multiplus II?

I think you're saying that I need an RJ45 cable connecting the Multiplus II and a laptop, which has Victron Connect installed, in order to program the Multiplus II. If that's true, that's *really* lame.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Whoa! You mean if I buy the $300 Cerbo GX monitor and the Multiplus II and connect them with an RJ45 UTP cable I can't use Bluetooth and Victron Connect on my phone to program the Multiplus II?

I think you're saying that I need an RJ45 cable connecting the Multiplus II and a laptop, which has Victron Connect installed, in order to program the Multiplus II. If that's true, that's *really* lame.

-Steve
                  Thats correct. Even if you buy the Multiplus bluetooth dongle you cannot program, only see the info on the Cerbo. I think its probably due to the extensive settings available in the Multiplus to program. I could imagine that it would be difficult to program without the display size and full keyboard a laptop offers.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

-Steve
                    I'm not sure at this point who's saying what, Steve, but I'll add to the confusion with my .02.

A GX device that is connected via ethernet to a Multiplus must have that cable disconnected prior to attempting to change the Multiplus' settings via an MK3.

The Multiplus can be programmed via an Android phone (MK3 connected to phone via a USB-C cable), Windows or Mac laptop.

Again, the MK3 is connected to the phone (or laptop) via USB and then the MK3 to Multiplus via an ethernet cable.

Changing the Multiplus' settings is a very infrequent activity, so IMHO not being able to do so via Bluetooth is not a big deal. Once setup unless there's a dramatic change in requirements you'll never need to access these settings again. In fact, there are some self-installers that buy their Multiplus' pre-configured from the distributor and never bother buying an MK3.

Howard

P.S. Guy Stewart is the Victron "guru" on the topic.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

A GX device that is connected via ethernet to a Multiplus must have that cable disconnected prior to attempting to change the Multiplus' settings via an MK3.

The Multiplus can be programmed via an Android phone (MK3 connected to phone via a USB-C cable), Windows or Mac laptop.

Again, the MK3 is connected to the phone (or laptop) via USB and then the MK3 to Multiplus via an ethernet cable.

In fact, there are some self-installers that buy their Multiplus' pre-configured from the distributor and never bother buying an MK3.

Wow. This is the first I've heard of (or recognized) an MK3 device. But I think I get it now. Thank you.

I've been going round and round with AM Solar recently trying to get their $1000 "extra-stuff" quote down to a list of just the parts I need to work with my setup. They didn't even quote an MK3 device. Rather, they asked about my battery bank (brand, amp-hours, etc.). Said they would pre-configure the Multiplus II for me at their facility.

The MK3 device is $69 on Amazon.

Seems to me that you'd want to have an MK3 around just to be able to update the Multiplus II firmware. Or if you modify your battery bank.

Well, we're building a new house and not camping much now -- and winter's coming on. I think I'll hold off on the Multiplus II for a while. Maybe I'll get me one of those new Multiplus III's next year.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee -- I agree any DIY installer of their Victron system should have an MK3. Considering the overall investment, it's a pittance to have full access to all of the unit's settings. If you ever dive into the Assistants (like ESS, or Energy Storage System) an MK3 is required to load it into the Multiplus. (ESS is definitely an advanced subject, so this is just an FYI.)

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just a reminder for all of you with lead-acid batteries: Don't go below 50%

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-state-of-charge-chart_v2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	64077
                          Jeff & Pam
                          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

We are home safe - Truck not going anywhere but sell or trade. Something is still not right (growling noise at stop (no change on where shift lever is) and trans very hard shifts at times), but it will be dealers problem - probably go to the secondary market anyway as paint is totally shot.

Had a strange thing happen last night at last campground in Vernon Texas. 30 amp service would not run AC at first. Surge protector said all OK an 118V 60hz, etc, but when I turned the AC on it only buzzed. This was about 6 to 7 PM so I figured amp availability was low. I wish I had had a 50A/30A dog bone so I could have switched over to try the other 50A plug. I did notice some charring on the plug box by the 30 amp receptacle (one post) . So I waited until about 8pm. AC fired up for about 30 seconds then surge protector shut it down, so I tried again with the touch 50 on. Pulling 1800 watts the unit shut down again.I was looking for an amp draw, but just watts displaied. At home I can run the AC on a 15A circuit and extension cord. However the touch 50 showed the Multiplus as inverting during the shut down period. However the multi plus is set to charger only. both hard switch and touch 50 setting. I also have the power boost disabled I think It stopped once the surge protector reset. Tried again at 9:30 and everything worked fine. Any thought why I saw the multiplus inverting?

Will be a few days to get out there with the desk top. Looks like I need to go through all the settings again. I may need to fab together a very long eithernet cable so I can connect and do updates. I have enough around the house to do it, just need a few splice connectors.

Thanks for all the help
                            Keith

Comment

Update
                              Using a 200' RJ24 cord (std either net) I plugged the trailer into my desk top and bingo it connected after about 30 seconds. Cord ran out the window to trailer. I did haft to call Continuous Resources for the Victron pass code to change settings. its zzz for folks that need to know. I don't remember needing it to do this the first time.

So inverter settings have been changed to shutdown 11.8 (was 12.5) to account for voltage drop under load on the batterys. Low restart is now 12.2 and low alarm is now 12. I still have power assist disabled for now.

Will test it out later with the coffee pot and see what happens. Ill do it at full charge and watch the voltage drops.

Thanks for the help folks
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X