Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine 21BHE inverter

Good morning,

I just installed my solar panels and converter/charger. Now I'm looking into an inverter but I'm not sure where I should connect it. Has anyone used the battery disconnect switch to wire it up? Or anyone have a different method.

Thank you
    Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Frenchy - Many of us connect our inverter to a buss bar and then run a line from the batteries to the buss bar. This simplifies connections. Here's a photo of mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shunt Power.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	64051
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post
      Good morning,

I just installed my solar panels and converter/charger. Now I'm looking into an inverter but I'm not sure where I should connect it. Has anyone used the battery disconnect switch to wire it up? Or anyone have a different method.

Thank you
      I think you will find that the battery disconnect switch only has 6 AWG wire. Mine does and it is an 17MKE. That is not heavy enough for the max power draw for your inverter. Better to do what TucsonJim says and and connect your battery to a bus bar and then off of that to the invertor. This will entail pulling heavier wire. The manufactures only pull the smallest wire possible. They don't cable for add-ons.
      Here is a picture of my installation after my recent upgrade to two solar controllers. I went over board with the Victron bus bar. It is Huge. I have been through many kinds of bus bars. Find the one that works for you.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Upgrade solar.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	64079
      Jeff
      Jeff & Pam
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

TucsonJim
        Thanks, Jim
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post
          Good morning,

Thank you
          Before we get to your question about connecting the inverter, you said you "installed solar panels and a converter/charger", do you mean a "solar controller"? If not, what converter/charger did you install and do you have any details and pictures?

Are your batteries still mounted in the stock location?

My setup has lithium under the murphy bed so I installed my inverter on the other side of the wall in the pass through making the cable run much more manageable as they are 2/0 awg. I also used buss bars for the battery connections.

Here are my solar controller and the inverter in the pass through.

This is the back side of the inverter showing the 2/0 cables going through the wall that separates the pas through and the space under the Murphy bed. Don't mind the yellow cord, it was temporary but in practice I have a 30 amp power cord that stays connected to the inverter and coiled up on the street side of the pass through. When we go on inverter power I pull the male end of the cord down through the water hose port and run it back to the trailer's main power inlet and plug it in.

Here's a shot of the batteries mounted under the couch/Murphy bed with the bus bars on the wall and the shunt for my Victron BMV-712 battery monitor.

Finally, here's my Victron battery monitor and my inverter remote on/off switch.

Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Sorry it is the solar controller (same as pictured), my batteries are still at the factory location where I mounted a new box. I was looking at either renogy or vertamax for the inverter.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Frenchy; 08-22-2021, 05:02 PM.
            Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Comment

Working...
            X