Charge controller set-up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge controller set-up question

I am getting ready to start entering all my parameters into my newly installed solar setup and have a question . The controller is a victron mppt100/50 and I have a bmv712 . The bmv 712 asks for total capacity in AH . the mppt asks for several different voltage values . The battery specs (renogy 12v 100A lifepo4 ) say max charge current of 50 A but I am seeing no place to enter that value on any of the equipment . Do the different pieces talk to each other and with info shared between them compute the 50 A figure or am I missing a spot to enter that number specifically ? Thanks for any help . It looked way easier on you tube
    Jim , Dianna , Katie , Molly and Sophie
    2020 Solitude 310 GK
    2021 F350 6.7 SRW

Yoda , howson

I believe you guys are both Victron owners. Do you know the answer to Jim's question?

​​​​​​​Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
      I am getting ready to start entering all my parameters into my newly installed solar setup and have a question . The controller is a victron mppt100/50 and I have a bmv712 . The bmv 712 asks for total capacity in AH . the mppt asks for several different voltage values . The battery specs (renogy 12v 100A lifepo4 ) say max charge current of 50 A but I am seeing no place to enter that value on any of the equipment . Do the different pieces talk to each other and with info shared between them compute the 50 A figure or am I missing a spot to enter that number specifically ? Thanks for any help . It looked way easier on you tube
      The Victron MPPT charge controller will talk with the BMV-712 IF you set up the VE network. Start with the BMV and setup the network. Name it whatever you want. Then go to the controller and go to the VE tab and "add" it to a network. Choose the network you previously made on the BMV. They will now talk to each other.
      As to your other question, The MPPT 100/50 will only charge up to 50 Ah. That is what the second number is on the 100/50. 100 volts maximum in and 50 Ah maximum out.
      Renogy should have the settings on their web site to program controller specifics.
      https://www.renogy.com/content/RBT10...00S-Manual.pdf

Hope that helps.
      Jeff & Pam
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Default is 50A for this MPPT.

VictronConnect via Bluetooth to 100|50 > Cog Wheel > Settings > Battery > Max Charge Current.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	MPPT 100-50 VictronConnect via Bluetooth - Settings - Battery 2021-08-23.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	64178
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
          Do the different pieces talk to each other...
          Each component must be setup independently, but you can get them to "talk" to each other as mentioned by Victron's manual with step-by-step directions is here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...working-EN.pdf

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks guys for all the input . I believe I have finally got it with the help from you guys and Northern Arizona wind where I purchased most of my components. The biggest problem I had , which I will admit may be due to my own lack of knowledge , was trying to get specs for the Renogy 12V 100 AH lithium batteries. This is what I got from Renogy so maybe it will help someone else down the road.

Absorption voltage 14.4 V
            Absorption duration 30 minutes
            Bulk voltage 14.0 V
            Float voltage 14.0 V
            Puekert exponent 1.00
            Discharge floor 20% but techs advise to set to 25% for better life
            DC input low shutdown 11 V
            DC input low restart 12.6 V
            DC input low pre-alarm 12.0 V

If any of these values look totally ridiculous let me know and I will re-research them . For the most part they look comparable to other Li battery parameters I have found.
            Jim , Dianna , Katie , Molly and Sophie
            2020 Solitude 310 GK
            2021 F350 6.7 SRW

Comment

Working...
            X