Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing

Hello all,

As much as I hate to think about it those winterizing thoughts are creeping in.

We have the factory solar package and I was wondering if there was anything special I need to be concerned about when I take the batteries out for the winter.

I think I only have to make sure the inverter is off and the battery shut-off switch is in the off position.

Concerned about the possibility of a "hot" wire touching something and shorting/sparking. Stupid question but where does the energy produced by the solar panel go when not in use?

Thanks in advance.

Tom & Linda
    Coach: 2021 Solitude 378MBS
    Tow Vehicle: TBD
    Georgetown ON Canada

Excellent question Tom.

Solar Controllers *almost* always have a warning in the manual that says something like "You must connect the battery to the solar controller before connecting the solar panels".

So, we need to figure out how to disconnect your solar panels from the solar controller before you remove the battery.

First question:
    • If you have solar, why do you need to remove your battery? Serious question. Yes, hit the battery disconnect, and we know there are parasitic drains even with that switch turned off, but with the panels charging the battery, why do we care?
      • If you cover your RV, this changes this question
      • Snow could also play a role in this.

Your "hot wire" question. The voltage goes nowhere if there is not a battery to absorb it, or a device to consume it. It's not a big deal.

Ideally, the factory solar package has a disconnect switch (breaker) that allows you to disconnect the panels from the controller, but I have no idea, as the solar kits on Grand Designed changed model to model, and year to year. (Sometimes even in the same year). You may or may not have one. Hopefully one of the moderators jump in with some wiring diagrams
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_378MBS View Post
      Hello all,

but where does the energy produced by the solar panel go when not in use?
      Think of the solar panels as a battery. Until it's hooked up, there is no consumption. But like on a battery, if the terminals are shorted together, bad things happen. So keep your solar terminals protected and you'll have no issue.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        Excellent question Tom.

Solar Controllers *almost* always have a warning in the manual that says something like "You must connect the battery to the solar controller before connecting the solar panels".

So, we need to figure out how to disconnect your solar panels from the solar controller before you remove the battery.

First question:
        • If you have solar, why do you need to remove your battery? Serious question. Yes, hit the battery disconnect, and we know there are parasitic drains even with that switch turned off, but with the panels charging the battery, why do we care?
          • If you cover your RV, this changes this question
          • Snow could also play a role in this.

Your "hot wire" question. The voltage goes nowhere if there is not a battery to absorb it, or a device to consume it. It's not a big deal.

Ideally, the factory solar package has a disconnect switch (breaker) that allows you to disconnect the panels from the controller, but I have no idea, as the solar kits on Grand Designed changed model to model, and year to year. (Sometimes even in the same year). You may or may not have one. Hopefully one of the moderators jump in with some wiring diagrams
        Thanks for the response.

Still not sure if I'm going to cover the RV but we certainly will have snow on the roof for a good part of the winter. I wouldn't trust the solar to keep the batteries charged..

That combined with the cold temperatures makes me want to remove the batteries.

I think there is a disconnect switch (manual says so) to be honest I've not checked.

Tom & Linda
        Coach: 2021 Solitude 378MBS
        Tow Vehicle: TBD
        Georgetown ON Canada

Comment

Working...
        X