Solar Basics , Who? What? When? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

This is part of my question. When partial shade will having more panels increase the output or is it no worth the $?

I am trying to determine if going with 2,4 or 6 panels is the way to go. Do the panels once and be done with it.

Brian
    The panels are usually the smaller investment. Things to consider with more panels: Size of MPPT controller, Size of wires, square footage for mounting, etc. But with more panels, the probability that at least some of your panels will be in the sun increases.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Country Campers
      Hi Brian,

What if . . . the solar power system lived in the truck bed space ahead of the hitch? (Just thinking "outside the box")

This could be a "module" with batteries, inverter and all the other stuff, including the solar panels across the top. The whole module could be self contained and only loaded into the front part of the box when you were going to need off grid capability. A second row of panels could be hinged over the top of the module and open out over the hitch when the 5th wheel was disconnected. You could then park the truck out in the sun and only need to run a standard (probably 30A) power cord over the the trailer in the shade.

This would free up a lot of space in the trailer and you could even change trailers without losing your entire solar power system.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Country Campers
        Hi Brian,

What if . . . the solar power system lived in the truck bed space ahead of the hitch? (Just thinking "outside the box")

This could be a "module" with batteries, inverter and all the other stuff, including the solar panels across the top. The whole module could be self contained and only loaded into the front part of the box when you were going to need off grid capability. A second row of panels could be hinged over the top of the module and open out over the hitch when the 5th wheel was disconnected. You could then park the truck out in the sun and only need to run a standard (probably 30A) power cord over the the trailer in the shade.

This would free up a lot of space in the trailer and you could even change trailers without losing your entire solar power system.

Rob
        That's an interesting idea.

Kinda along the same lines....I am exploring "phase II" of my solar build. Phase I is 1000W of solar panels on the roof, inverter, solar charge controllers, batteries in the trailer.

Phase II is to use exterior solar ports for some ground panels when needed. I'm planning 400W-800W of additional "suitcase" panels you can store in the bed of the truck when not needed. It just requires an additional solar charge controller, and some additional wiring.

As far as shading and panels, the more panels you have in series, the more shading effects your complete system. But, the more parallel panels, the more amperage going through the wires which requires larger diameter wiring and a beefy solar charge controller.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Country Campers
          Hi Brian,

Rob
          Hello Rob,

This is interesting for sure but,,,,,,

The "Engineer" in me has looked right to the "cons",

Takes up bed space, truck has to be still , would have to tear down or set aside when the truck is needed.

I have thought about portable solar as acoleman43 has mentioned above. This would be pretty good to allow placing in the most sunshine when needed. Along with this it will have to be setup and torn down. Roof mounted is always there with little effort, thus the reason for more panels the better. Too much thinking on my part I should just order the panels and move on with the setup.

Brian

PS: The other "con" with the bed space is I just installed a Pace Edwards retractable bed cover that I have been "fighting" myself over for a while and finely did it. The box for it takes up about 8" or 10" of the front of the bed, not a big deal with a 8' bed but it does cut into firewood space.
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers
            Hi Brian,

Rob
            There is a custom built trailer in Quartzsite that is nothing but a huge panel and equipment. I'm guessing that it probably has 4000-5000 watts of power. It's pulled by a truck camper. An interesting concept.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

There is a custom built trailer in Quartzsite that is nothing but a huge panel and equipment. I'm guessing that it probably has 4000-5000 watts of power. It's pulled by a truck camper. An interesting concept.

Jim
              Jim,

Curious what the rational is since the fuel required to tow the trailer to a destination could easily be used in a moderately sized generator. The energy savings is not there unless the length of stay is long enough to make up for the towing losses. Maybe this is what this fellow is after.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Jim,

Curious what the rational is since the fuel required to tow the trailer to a destination could easily be used in a moderately sized generator. The energy savings is not there unless the length of stay is long enough to make up for the towing losses. Maybe this is what this fellow is after.

Jim
                He spends at least 4-5 months there in the long term camping area. There are other benefits too. Generators are noisy and require maintenance.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

He spends at least 4-5 months there in the long term camping area. There are other benefits too. Generators are noisy and require maintenance.

Jim
                  Jim,

That makes sense and his storage capacity must be amazing. I believe for the title of this thread, people need to know if solar is for them or not since its expensive where the return needs to be there or its not worth it. Similar to electric cars versus IC engines. If I were out west with big open skies, my rig would be covered in panels. A DCDC can handle parasitic's over the road. For the heavily wooded areas we look for while boondocking in the east, the generator running 45 minutes every 24 hours works for us. It will also run the AC if needed.

Jim

Comment

Do you want/need air conditioning? is probably a question that should be added to this discussion. A solar & battery system that could support AC would be extensive and expensive. A latest technology (ie: quietest) generator that would support running the AC will cost less than the solar/battery systems being discussed in this thread. In the shaded NE where you might get away with no AC, a solar charging system will struggle to keep up with basic needs. In the sunny SW, the solar system will easily keep up with basic needs . . . but, will not run the more necessary AC. Hmmm . . .

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jim,

That makes sense and his storage capacity must be amazing. I believe for the title of this thread, people need to know if solar is for them or not since its expensive where the return needs to be there or its not worth it. Similar to electric cars versus IC engines. If I were out west with big open skies, my rig would be covered in panels. A DCDC can handle parasitic's over the road. For the heavily wooded areas we look for while boondocking in the east, the generator running 45 minutes every 24 hours works for us. It will also run the AC if needed.

Jim
                      And remember, the solar runs while traveling down the road too. I don't have a DC/DC converter, and I'm always fully charged when I get to my location. And that's while running my DC compressor refrigerator and my beer fridge through the inverter.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Do you want/need air conditioning? is probably a question that should be added to this discussion. A solar & battery system that could support AC would be extensive and expensive. A latest technology (ie: quietest) generator that would support running the AC will cost less than the solar/battery systems being discussed in this thread. In the shaded NE where you might get away with no AC, a solar charging system will struggle to keep up with basic needs. In the sunny SW, the solar system will easily keep up with basic needs . . . but, will not run the more necessary AC. Hmmm . . .

Rob
                        Remember DMB from the other place? He runs a window AC on his rig when the temps get warm. It's more efficient than our rooftop units, and can keep one room moderately comfortable.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

And remember, the solar runs while traveling down the road too. I don't have a DC/DC converter, and I'm always fully charged when I get to my location. And that's while running my DC compressor refrigerator and my beer fridge through the inverter.

Jim
                          Speaking of which, I don't intend to add a B2B charger either for the same reason but I have been reading where we are "supposed" to disable the pin in our 7-pin connector from the truck to stop the battery charging or we can damage to truck's alternator. Have you heard this discussion? What are your thoughts and, I guess more importantly have you done this?
                          Paul and Deb Cervone
                          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Jim
                            I'm not against solar at all Jim. But for us being in the NE which is typically wooded, a DCDC converter will handle the loads over the road, and the generator is typically only heard by us when boondocking for enough time to run a coffee pot in the morning. We only boondock in early spring and late fall where AC is not needed for sleep. DW likes the AC at night and I'm not messing with that.

I do however need a beer fridge where this alone may justify a solar system.

Knowing how many with solar who carry a generator would provide valuable information toward a priority list to those interested in boondocking.

Jim

Comment

Knowing how many with solar who carry a generator would provide valuable information toward a priority list to those interested in boondocking.

Jim
                              I have always had a generator even with my solar on my last 3 trailers.
                              Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I'm not against solar at all Jim. But for us being in the NE which is typically wooded, a DCDC converter will handle the loads over the road, and the generator is typically only heard by us when boondocking for enough time to run a coffee pot in the morning. We only boondock in early spring and late fall where AC is not needed for sleep. DW likes the AC at night and I'm not messing with that.

I do however need a beer fridge where this alone may justify a solar system.

Jim
                                This is an interesting thread. There are many reasons people install a solar system, and they usually are quality of life decisions, rather than economic decisions. We camp almost exclusively without electrical hookup. We prefer to be in rustic campgrounds, frequently in the National Forest or National Parks, or on BLM land in the winter in Arizona. We like a lot of space and quiet - neighbors that aren't too close and no generators running at all hours. We have two free-standing 100 W panels with 60 feet of wire. They meet our electric needs almost all the time. My goal in the summer is to have the camper in the shade and the panels in the sun. But like Brian Country Campers mentioned, sometimes in northern Michigan or other heavily forested areas in the east, you can't get enough sunshine to meet even the most basic electrical needs for the camper. We can go several days with the small amount of charge we get in the shade. Then we usually move on, or if we are staying longer, will use the generator for a short time. I bought the generator before our first winter trip to Arizona for a backup incase we had too many cloudy days, or it was cold enough that running the furnace we couldn't keep up with solar. We found that hasn't happened to us in Arizona, but we did need the generator when the furnace stopped working. Then our only source of heat was the fireplace with the generator running.

Air conditioning usually isn't an issue. In the summer, we camp in the north, on lakes, or at higher elevations. Traveling between our destination spots, if it is really hot, we will stop overnight at a place with electricity so we can run the air conditioner. This solar system works very well for us, with two Trojan 6v batteries, and a 12v as a backup. We are able to camp in the rustic areas we like with the camper. Once in a while we need the generator, but not on a regular basis.

Dave
                                2016 Reflection 27RL
                                2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                                B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
                                X