Daisy chaining solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy chaining solar panels

Hello new to the GD forum. I own a 2021 B 245 GD Transend this unit came with a 165 watt Furrion solar panel, I purchased another 165 watt Furrion solar panel and wanted to
    daisy chain in parallel but can not find MC4 connectors for Furrion solar panels. Anyone know were they can be purchased? Tried E Trailer (where I purchased the solar panel)
    Amazon, called Furrion not much help.

Originally posted by John C View Post
    Hello new to the GD forum. I own a 2021 B 245 GD Transend this unit came with a 165 watt Furrion solar panel, I purchased another 165 watt Furrion solar panel and wanted to
    daisy chain in parallel but can not find MC4 connectors for Furrion solar panels. Anyone know were they can be purchased? Tried E Trailer (where I purchased the solar panel)
    Amazon, called Furrion not much help.
    Welcome to wonderful world of solar. You will receive many helpful suggestions. The first place that came up was this site:
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Solar-Pa...on/FR73SR.html

The Furrion panels are a bit pricey. Especially from Furrion themselves. The real key is to find a solar panel that is very close to the specifications of the current panel. That way one solar panel will not interfere with the other. Now you have the question of parallel / series connections. Please check your current solar charger to make sure it can handle the additional panel. As to the connecters, if you want to go with MC4 connectors (I vote, yes) the best thing to do is just cut the connecters off and start fresh with a set of MC4 connectors. (The male MC4 is for Positive) I bought some very good quality connectors from BougeRV.
    Good luck. Solar is both fun and ..... Tuscon Jim will probably weigh in on this also.

Jeff House
    Jeff & Pam
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

I'm curious why you are selecting a parallel set up in lieu of series? Nothing wrong with it, just curious. Remember, when you use a parallel connection, you increase the current. When you go series, you increase the voltage. Both methods have pro's and cons.

BTW, if you'll provide the make and model of your controller, I'd be happy to check the specs to make sure you're not over-driving it.

As for MC4 Y connectors, check out this:

https://smile.amazon.com/BougeRV-Con...86&sr=8-3&th=1

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

MC4's are standard connectors. Since I don't have a crimp tool I soldered mine.
        2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

I am thinking about doing the exact same thing with my Transcend. Is there some docs i can read about how to put a new 165w solar panel in series? My controller is a Furrion 25 amp model FSCC30PW-BL

Comment

Originally posted by Homerjoeyt View Post
            I am thinking about doing the exact same thing with my Transcend. Is there some docs i can read about how to put a new 165w solar panel in series? My controller is a Furrion 25 amp model FSCC30PW-BL
            TucsonJim has posted the presentation from the '21 National Rally here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv-ra...r-presentation

Another resource is Will Prowse's book Mobile Solar Power Made Easy. IMO it's a good primer that covers the subject.

Finally, there's a lot of threads on this forum if you're willing to dig (and read) that cover solar installations. Mine is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X