Drilling through roof (and avoid hitting something) Reflection 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling through roof (and avoid hitting something) Reflection 315RLTS

I'm about to install solar on my 2021 Reflection 315RLTS. I want to bring the wires through the roof into the bedroom closet which is above the water heater area (closet near the entrance door to the bedroom). My batteries are now located in the space around the water heater, and my solar charge controller will go there. My goal is to have the entry as close to the center of the trailer as possible. However, I'm concerned that I might pass through a ceiling air duct or something else that I'm not supposed to drill through.

Are there any drawings showing where the air ducts run in my unit. I saw a posting that I should not ask Grand Design, but post to a forum first so that's what I'm doing. Thanks.
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Jimmer -- call GD Customer Service and ask them to send you a ROOF PLAN drawing for your 315RLTS. (Please do not post it here or on any social media per GD's request.) You'll need to provide the rep with your VIN.

The drawing will show you where the rafters are and the air conditioning ducts. What it won't show is where wires may be routed through the rafters. Even when you're sure you won't hit a rafter or the a/c duct, you'll have to be *very* careful to ensure there's no wires where you're drilling.

I've never looked in this area (with the sealant removed and vent cover off) but maybe it's possible to run the wire down alongside the vent?

Click image for larger version

Name:	down the vent.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	70055

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks, Howson! Will do! Yes, coming down by or around that vent may be perfect. Time will tell.

Comment

Here's a couple of tricks for drilling through your roof.

1. Drill from the inside out.
        2. Plug into shore power and use a proximity voltage tester along the ceiling where you're going to drill to make sure there are no live wires.
        3. Drill a very small pilot hole just deep enough to penetrate the ceiling. Then probe the area with a straightened coat hanger to feel for trusses, wires and anything else that may be a problem. But note there will be some insulation you'll feel. If something is in the way, you'll be able to easily patch the pilot hole.
        4. Once you're sure the path is clear, drill your hole all the way through the ceiling and the roof. Leave the drill bit poking through so you can tape a fish wire to it for pulling the main wire.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Here's a couple of tricks for drilling through your roof.

1. Drill from the inside out.
          2. Plug into shore power and use a proximity voltage tester along the ceiling where you're going to drill to make sure there are no live wires.
          3. Drill a very small pilot hole just deep enough to penetrate the ceiling. Then probe the area with a straightened coat hanger to feel for trusses, wires and anything else that may be a problem. But note there will be some insulation you'll feel. If something is in the way, you'll be able to easily patch the pilot hole.
          4. Once you're sure the path is clear, drill your hole all the way through the ceiling and the roof. Leave the drill bit poking through so you can tape a fish wire to it for pulling the main wire.

Jim
          Thanks, TucsonJim . Grand Design said on Nov 12 that they would get the roof drawings to me by email. As of now, no roof drawings. I will likely try to your method in the very near future.

Comment

Jimmer

Do you have the black "mold" lines on your roof (you can see them in the post #2 pic). That's where the rafters are located.

In the bedroom pull down one of the lights closest the bathroom (street side). Look up inside and you'll see the air conditioner duct. Any hole will have to be outside (towards the street side) of that ductwork.. You can do the same on the other (curb) side of the bedroom. Take down a light and feel toward's a vent--you'll find the ductwork on that side of the camper, too.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Jimmer
              The pic below is not a GD trailer, but it should give you an idea of what's above the ceiling (and below the TPO roof material). That silver piece extending out from the center (towards the camera, right side of the beam) is an air conditioner duct. The 315RLTS has a circular ductwork system so there's one on both sides of the centerline.

Howard

Name:	roof.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	70283

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Jimmer
                The pic below is not a GD trailer, but it should give you an idea of what's above the ceiling (and below the TPO roof material). That silver piece extending out from the center (towards the camera, right side of the beam) is an air conditioner duct. The 315RLTS has a circular ductwork system so there's one on both sides of the centerline.

Howard

Name:	roof.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	70283
                Are trusses 4'-0" on center??
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Are trusses 4'-0" on center??
                  No, the trusses are approximately 16" O.C. If you need specifics on your particular unit, hit me up.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I was planning on running the solar wires down that black vent tube by drilling in the side both top and bottom. This was suggested by a GD owner on another forum, who also pointed out how important it us to seal the bottom entry hole ๐Ÿ˜
                    Flash Buddy & Jan Baby
                    2018 Reflection 295RL
                    2018 Ford F-250 | B&W Companion 25K

Comment

Originally posted by Baja Fog View Post
                      I was planning on running the solar wires down that black vent tube by drilling in the side both top and bottom. This was suggested by a GD owner on another forum, who also pointed out how important it us to seal the bottom entry hole ๐Ÿ˜
                      Several people have done this, although technically it is a code violation. No penetrations are allowed in a vent pipe. The reason for this is that if the system overflows, the vent will route the liquid up and over the roof. If there is a penetration, the possibility for leakage into the RV can occur.

JIM
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Drilled through the roof yesterday to bring 2 gauge wire down from a combiner box for solar into the bedroom closet which is above the water heater. It went perfectly. There were many wires in this area, including 110 ac to go to the bedroom AC. There was also the ducting for the AC. I pulled out the closest bedroom recessed light, and also pulled out the light in the closet. By being carefully to stop drilling as as soon as the hole penetrated the closet ceiling, all went well.

Comment

That is great that it worked out, must have been plenty nervous. I am planning on doing this thru the winter and hope I do not screw it up. I do not have a closet but will have to drill down into a wall, much less area to make a mistake. That is a pretty big looking combiner box, is that by choice or what is needed for your system?

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                          X