Adding "Satellite" Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding "Satellite" Solar Panels

We recently purchased a 2022 Imagine 2400BH with the pre installed 165 watt Furrion solar panel and the Furrion 25 Amp charge controller. We would like to be able to tie in 2 additional "satellite" solar panels that can either be set up on the roof, or moved to a location away from the trailer where there may be better sunlight in an off grid camping situation. Obviously we would like to be able to utilize the solar equipment that came factory installed on our trailer. But, we also don't know much about solar and are open to learning, and ultimately enhancing our RVing experience through the best possible solar solution.

We are completely new to solar and have no experience with the compatibility of different brands, components, connectors, etc. Any insight as to how to do this, and what we will need and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated!

-Scott
    Last edited by Tiff&Scott; 11-12-2021, 03:51 PM.
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7L

Originally posted by Tiff&Scott View Post
    We recently purchased a 2022 Imagine 2400BH with the pre installed 165 watt Furrion solar panel and the Furrion 25 Amp charge controller. We would like to be able to tie in 2 additional "satellite" solar panels that can either be set up on the roof, or moved to a location away from the trailer where there may be better sunlight in an off grid camping situation. Obviously we would like to be able to utilize the solar equipment that came factory installed on our trailer. But, we also don't know much about solar and are open to learning, and ultimately enhancing our RVing experience through the best possible solar solution.

We are completely new to solar and have no experience with the compatibility of different brands, components, connectors, etc. Any insight as to how to do this, and what we will need and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated!

-Scott
    Scott,
    Consider getting Will Prowse's book and spending some quality time going through each chapter. By the time you're done you'll have a very good idea of what you can (and can't) do with your current setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobile Power.JPG
Views:	816
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	70069

Everything in Will's book is documented on the internet, but I found it easier to have it in one consolidated reference I could read in my lounge chair.

There's also a "Solar 101" presentation in the Solar channel's Reference Material sub-channel: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...ce-material-aa

Lots of folks here with expertise, so no doubt there will be more posts that follow mine.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You are not limited by your solar controller. I'd leave that controller and panel as is. Then, you can add a separate controller that is sized for your satellite panels. You can have two controllers running at the same time. In a lot of cases you can run multiple charging sources such as solar and the tow vehicle charge, solar and the converter/charger, two solar controllers, etc.

Here's an informative article on the topic.
      https://cleversolarpower.com/multipl...e-controllers/

If you need help designing a system, let me know.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the link. Lots of info there.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Also check out this channel.
          https://youtu.be/N0UB7LZVduk
          I have found him very useful. I have an Imagine XLS 17 MKE running two solar controllers. One for my dual 170 watt roof panels and one for my 400 watts of portable.
          Jeff & Pam
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by Tiff&Scott View Post

-Scott
            Easiest to add a separate solar charge controller for the auxiliary panels. It's very unlikely any portable panel you get will be completely compatible with the factory setup, even if it's the same brand. a separate solar charge controller will resolve that issue.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Easiest to add a separate solar charge controller for the auxiliary panels. It's very unlikely any portable panel you get will be completely compatible with the factory setup, even if it's the same brand. a separate solar charge controller will resolve that issue.
              I totally agree. The Explorist YouTube channel has a video on adding different sized panels. As acoleman43 says it is better to get a second charge controller for the portable panels. Mixing different wattage/ amperage panels can actually decrease the input power. I have one charger for my 2x 170 watt panels on the roof and another charger for my portable 400 watts. This way both will charge and there is no contention between the two systems. One way to start would be to get a suitcase solar setup that has a charger built in. You could then connect this to the batteries when it is in use. Welcome to Grand Design.
              Jeff & Pam
              Jeff & Pam
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                you can add a separate controller that is sized for your satellite panels. You can have two controllers running at the same time.

Jim
                Would they have to be the same type? Could you have one PWM and one MPPT?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Would they have to be the same type? Could you have one PWM and one MPPT?
                  Never thought of this. I would think that would be fine. The job of the solar charge controller is to manage the power going into the batteries. I don't think it should matter if there are different technologies doing this, they both manage the power into the batteries...but do it separately.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

We have a 2021 Imagine 2500RL w/the Furrion solar connectors. I have two 100 watt solar panels and a Zamp 15 amp digital controller (ZS-15AW). Don't want to lug the panels around for ground placement, would put them on the roof with the no-hole holders. Batteries are two identical Interstate wet cell, deep cycle RV. We have not boondocked, but would like to try drycamping after the install to see how we do (wife didn't do any RVing until we married, her idea of camping includes eating out and shopping). Will I need adapters to mate panels to Furrion connectors? I don't want to rip wiring out if I can help it. I may put the controller in the bedroom, easier to monitor. Should I also install a battery monitor?
                    Mark & Judy
                    2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 7.3L Crew SB SRW
                    2021 GD Imagine2500RL

Comment

Originally posted by mbergthold View Post
                      We have a 2021 Imagine 2500RL w/the Furrion solar connectors. I have two 100 watt solar panels and a Zamp 15 amp digital controller (ZS-15AW). Don't want to lug the panels around for ground placement, would put them on the roof with the no-hole holders. Batteries are two identical Interstate wet cell, deep cycle RV. We have not boondocked, but would like to try drycamping after the install to see how we do (wife didn't do any RVing until we married, her idea of camping includes eating out and shopping). Will I need adapters to mate panels to Furrion connectors? I don't want to rip wiring out if I can help it. I may put the controller in the bedroom, easier to monitor. Should I also install a battery monitor?
                      I'm not quite sure I understand the full system being described.

What is currently installed (solar panels) on the roof, what solar gland ("roof connector"), and what solar controller came with your RV? Please be as specific as possible. Pictures would be terrific.

You don't have a Furrion Battery Monitor in your Imagine? If not, a Victron BMV-712 or SmartShunt is highly recommended, regardless of whether anything else is done to the system.

FYI, if an adapter is required there is one available from GD: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/8...ter-cables-new

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Might want to take a look at my experience doing what you may be referring to. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...panel-at-times
                        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
                        X