Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone done this (factory solar mods Momentum 21G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done this (factory solar mods Momentum 21G)

In researching the system I want I’m contemplating redoing some of the factory solar. My idea is to leave the cheapie golf cart batter on the frame behind the propane tanks but change it’s connection to strictly power the generator start up and power Jack. I would disconnect the 300w panel and add a 100w panel to keep this battery charged along with the 7pin.

The existing 300w panel would be ran in parallel with another identical panel and a new hole tapped in the roof to shorten the wires directly over the exterior storage behind the closet. These panels would be ran off a new Victron controller and attached to 400 to 570aH of lithium batteries also in this compartment.

thoughts?
    2022 Momentum 21G with factory solar and generator
    2022 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke SRW

NickinCO That's an interesting idea. I've never thought about it.

'm no expert but it seems you are making it more complicated by trying to isolate the front jack and generator to one power source, everything else to a separate source. Seems much easier to just power everything from the lithium batteries.

also, the 300W Jaboni panel is $750. Yikes! Unless you're much more wealthy than I (which is entirely possible) That's a chunk of cash for just 300W.

Also, directly over the master closet is the front cap.
    Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
      NickinCO That's an interesting idea. I've never thought about it.

'm no expert but it seems you are making it more complicated by trying to isolate the front jack and generator to one power source, everything else to a separate source. Seems much easier to just power everything from the lithium batteries.

also, the 300W Jaboni panel is $750. Yikes! Unless you're much more wealthy than I (which is entirely possible) That's a chunk of cash for just 300W.

Also, directly over the master closet is the front cap.
      hah! I thought I was making it less complicated. Less rewiring to do, less to hook up to house batteries, and if I’m adding solar I will likely have to run some larger cable than 10awg as well. They don’t appear to have went out of their way to make the cable runs as short as possible. That’s a bummer about what’s directly above that exterior storage, I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention.

as for panels are you aware of any 300w panels with a matching voltage that I could pair up with the existing jamboni?

Comment

NickinCO -- figuring out what to match up with your Jaboni panel (other than another Jaboni) will take some homework.

If you're interested in how I resolved the panel purchase question, I documented the process (at length!) here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          NickinCO -- figuring out what to match up with your Jaboni panel (other than another Jaboni) will take some homework.

If you're interested in how I resolved the panel purchase question, I documented the process (at length!) here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

Howard
          Great write up! I used the same panels in my van. I’m not sure what the used market for a 300w Jamboni panel is but I can’t imagine it fetching anywhere close to what they cost retail. Since I already have one it seems to make the most sense to purchase another even for $750 since that’s what it would cost to replace with the same total wattage of renogy eclipse’s. It would depend what my total solar requirements are which for right now I believe to be 600 to 900w. Between that, a 400-540aH battery bank, and the cumins generator, I think anything more would be grossly overkill. Our van setup had a 255aH AGM, 300w of solar, and a 60A DC to DC charger for reference. Our bank never went under 80%. I’m assuming we will use twice as much electricity in the momentum vs the van but it’s still potentially overkill. Aside from an annual trip to British Columbia we are in the western US where sun is plentiful.

Comment

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post

hah! I thought I was making it less complicated. Less rewiring to do, less to hook up to house batteries, and if I’m adding solar I will likely have to run some larger cable than 10awg as well. They don’t appear to have went out of their way to make the cable runs as short as possible. That’s a bummer about what’s directly above that exterior storage, I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention.

as for panels are you aware of any 300w panels with a matching voltage that I could pair up with the existing jamboni?
            Look at the NewPowa 160W panels. If you connect a pair in series they match amperage and are only 0.21v difference. I have 4 of those (series/parallel connections) to get 940W.

As far as wiring, if you have the (2) 300W Jaboni panels (or one 300W Jaboni paralleled with the two 160W Newpowa in series) a 12 gauge wire will be fine up to 30' with only 2% loss. (assuming 47 volts and 18.6 amps). That would make things much easier and no new holes in the roof for wiring.
            Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
            X