Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Charging Use While Winterized/Stored Outside Uncovered - Transcend 231RK 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charging Use While Winterized/Stored Outside Uncovered - Transcend 231RK 2022

My unit came equipped with a single solar roof panel and I'm wondering way not leave the two aux batteries on the trailer and let the solar charging continue while the unit is winterized, stored outside and uncover? Ambient temperatures will all fall within mfgr. specifications. Just let the solar charging system keep the batteries top off. If this is ok, no issue with the low draw devices draining the batteries. Also do I disconnect the battery switch in the Universal Docking station?
    Les and Susan Grimes
    2022 Transcend XPLOR 231RK
    Western Slope, Colorado

Originally posted by LGrimes View Post
    My unit came equipped with a single solar roof panel and I'm wondering way not leave the two aux batteries on the trailer and let the solar charging continue while the unit is winterized, stored outside and uncover? Ambient temperatures will all fall within mfgr. specifications. Just let the solar charging system keep the batteries top off. If this is ok, no issue with the low draw devices draining the batteries. Also do I disconnect the battery switch in the Universal Docking station?
    Welcome to the forum, LGrimes. (Any chance you have relatives in Kathleen, GA???) Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Turning "off" the Battery Disconnect (so the key will remove) won't harm anything. Just ensure the battery is still receiving the charge from the solar controller. Sometimes these trailers are wired differently--best to double-check.

As long as the panel(s) will stay uncovered (no snow, leaves, or other debris) there' no reason I can think of why they won't continue to charge the batteries.

TucsonJim -- your .02?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, thanks for the new member welcome. Good information and the rules sound very appropriate. To answer your GA question, I don't believe so but anythings possible. Who did you have in mind?
      Also, regarding checking the charging of the batteries after turning off the disconect, how does one do that exactly? I do have a multimeter.
      Les and Susan Grimes
      2022 Transcend XPLOR 231RK
      Western Slope, Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by LGrimes View Post
        Howard, thanks for the new member welcome. Good information and the rules sound very appropriate. To answer your GA question, I don't believe so but anythings possible. Who did you have in mind?
        Also, regarding checking the charging of the batteries after turning off the disconect, how does one do that exactly? I do have a multimeter.
        Knew it was unlikely, but it's a small world so had to ask. If you were related to the Grimes' in Kathleen, GA you'd know!

Since you have a multimeter (and it's assumed you know how to use it), verifying the solar output at the battery should be easy. Just ensure however you check it that the vDC measurement at the battery stays the same with the battery disconnect on or off. If you're unsure of exactly how to do this...best to get someone knowledgeable to help.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Along the same lines, we have a 2022 297QB here in SW Idaho where the weather gets to 20 degrees with some snow usually melting off same day or within 2 days. Standard equipment with one solar panel on the roof. Out of fear of my batteries freezing, I removed them, stored them in my garage on a wooden base, and connect my trickle charger once a week or so to keep them topped off. I of course pulled the battery disconnect. I currently have no cover.
          Question 1:
          Should I have done this or could I have left them connected?
          Question 2:
          Could I have connected a small single panel with an integration trickle charger mounted to the outside vertically so the snow does not affect it? (in the event I wanted to cover it)
          Question 3:
          If I do connect the small panel, we can refer to this as a satellite panel maybe, do I have to do anything to my existing connections to avoid damaging my circuitry? I'm thinking that if I park in a shaded area but can run this small panel to the spot of sun nearby I could connect it.
          Finally, Question D:
          Can someone point me to a link on how to add a second panel to my existing configuration?
          And Question ii:
          Should I have posted this on a separate stand alone post or am I good here within the context of this thread?
          Thanks in advance.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rgilmore View Post
            Along the same lines, we have a 2022 297QB here in SW Idaho where the weather gets to 20 degrees with some snow usually melting off same day or within 2 days. Standard equipment with one solar panel on the roof. Out of fear of my batteries freezing, I removed them, stored them in my garage on a wooden base, and connect my trickle charger once a week or so to keep them topped off. I of course pulled the battery disconnect. I currently have no cover.

Question 1: Should I have done this or could I have left them connected?
            IMHO disconnecting and storing them in the garage is the best plan for long-term storage.

Question 2: Could I have connected a small single panel with an integration trickle charger mounted to the outside vertically so the snow does not affect it? (in the event I wanted to cover it)
            Why go to all this trouble if you have solar on the roof? If it's that unreliable...see the answer to question 1.

Question 3: If I do connect the small panel, we can refer to this as a satellite panel maybe, do I have to do anything to my existing connections to avoid damaging my circuitry? I'm thinking that if I park in a shaded area but can run this small panel to the spot of sun nearby I could connect it.
            "Juice isn't worth the squeeze" IMO.

Finally, one topic per post please, Rick. The last question (removed from the quote but still in your original post above) could get this thread going in multiple directions at once. If the question is in context with the current thread it's fine to just add on (like the first three questions). If the question is not in context with the current thread, start a new one, OK? To save you some work I copied your last question appropriately. See...

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/7...el-to-my-297qb

Also, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members for more information on how to navigate this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
            Last edited by howson; 11-30-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Great info Howard, and my apologies. I'll limit my future queries. Most help, much appreciated.
              Rick

Comment

LGrimes Welcome to the family and the forum!
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                X