Flexible solar as carry out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible solar as carry out

We have our RV in covered storage. I have 2 X 100 panels on the roof, but they don't get enough sun when parked. I am thinking of using some hooks to temporarily hang a 100 W flexible panel on the front cap so it gets direct sun. It will be removed when traveling. When needed, I can also use the flexible panel as an additional carryout. Will flexible panels hold up to repeated moving?

Thanks
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
    We have our RV in covered storage. I have 2 X 100 panels on the roof, but they don't get enough sun when parked. I am thinking of using some hooks to temporarily hang a 100 W flexible panel on the front cap so it gets direct sun. It will be removed when traveling. When needed, I can also use the flexible panel as an additional carryout. Will flexible panels hold up to repeated moving?

Thanks
    No personal experience myself, but I trust Will's input.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Will has a prejudice against flexible solar panels. I have been using flexible panels since 2018 and they are still going strong. The key is how you mount them. I use a 1" PVC frame to hold the panels so they don't flex as much but they are still light weight. I haven't had any problems. I recently put two 100 watt glass panels together as a suitcase but the darn thing is too heavy. I went beach to my flexible panels. It's true you may not get 25 years out of them but in 25 years a lot will have changed. Check "RVWITHTITO" on you tube. He uses flexible panels and has done many tests about durability, both gigs and bad. Remember, Will doesn't care about weight. I do!
      Good bless.
      Jeff & Pam
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Many of Will's issues are addressed in the Rvwithtito videos. There are those of us who overcome the downsides to enjoy the upsides. I have put flexible solar panels on two small trailers now and they have given me excellent solar. Recently I installed two 170 watt flexible solar panels on my 17MKE. I mounted them on trails so they can be removed and there is a carbon air gap between the panel and the roof to allow cooling.
        I love Will's videos and he is brilliant but if you watch carefully he will many times "throw the baby out with the bath water." For instance he will fail a battery if it doesn't have a low temp thermometer. I totally understand his reasoning but my batteries will never be in a freezing temperature so a low temp sensor is not needed for me. Learn from ask these guys and gals on YouTube but make your own decision based on your specific needs.
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

No personal experience myself, but I trust Will's input.

I just re- watched this video and noticed this video was from 3 years ago. There have been many upgrades in solar panels since then. Also, I noticed that Will would find some positives with flexible panels but he just couldn't bring it upon himself to recommend one. He is a glass solar panel guy and for that matter a very large glass solar panel guy. He had moved from an RV to a house with a solar farm for his Teslas. His emphasis had moved away from lightweight solar panels. He is a very smart guy but take it with a grain of salt.
          Jeff & Pam
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

IMO, repeated moving of anything will bring about it's demise a bit sooner than a permanent installation, but so long as you take reasonable precautions/care you should be good.
            I am a newcomer to investigating RV solar possibilities/realities. At the moment I have a single rigid panel I move around because where I camp in tall trees I would only get rooftop sun at lunch time making rooftop panels a waste of money for me.
            Why do you want a flexible panel? I lean the rigid panel up against a tree wherever the sun is.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I started with an r-Pod with a curved roof. The flexible panels were great for that and I dabbed a ton of weight. When I moved over to the 17MKE the flexible panels were a no brainer for me. I needed to cut the weight so I put flexible on the roof and used flexible panels mounted on pvc pipe for my mobile array. It's all about the weight. I have 400 watts for same weight as 100 watts of glass panels. It is a personal choice. That is why they produce both kinds.
              Jeff & Pam
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post

Thanks
                It seems there is some good and bad on the flex panels. From the reading I have done I would be worried about the panel being right up against the front cap , the heat generated may cause some damage to the cap. I would try to make sure that it is not in contact with the cap.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X