Solar Power for 12V fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Power for 12V fridge

I have a 2022 reflection 150 280RS with the 12V fridge and solar package from the factory. My question is does the solar provide power for the fridge or does it just charge the battery or both? Does the solar provide power to any of the 12V items? The documentation that came with the camper from GD is practically non existent. Also the rig was pre wired for an inverter what would that provide power to?

Thanks for any help on this.

CKorn

First welcome to the Forum, please take a look at our welcome letter Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com).

The Solar system does not power anything in the RV, it does , or suppose to, charge the battery when in sunshine which will then power the 12 v dc items in the RV. If you were to add an inverter you would have to determine what it powers in the RV, they usually are not wired to power everything.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

CKorn

To expand a little further, as I am learning solar, Solar will run your 12 v items. As the panel makes power it will be transmitted to the solar controller which will send it to the battery. If you are using 12 v power while the solar panels are producing you more than likely be using the power from them and not from the battery. What ever power is left will charge the battery. If you are not using any 12 v power then all of the power produced by the panel will go into the battery until it is fully charged, then the power produced by the panel disappears into the unknown. So in a round about way yes solar does power 12 v items in the RV, but the battery is needed when there is no solar available.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The rv is pre wired for an inverter so GD had to wire it to something, The documentation on the solar and inverter prep is NONE!

Comment

Originally posted by CKorn View Post
          The rv is pre wired for an inverter so GD had to wire it to something, The documentation on the solar and inverter prep is NONE!
          Forum member klwagner52 is working on this very issue, CKorn. Check out his thread and feel free to ask Ken questions as he appears to be the trailblazer on this issue.

Regarding your documentation rant...remember...we're all just owners here (like you) trying to help each other. We can empathize but that's about it. The best place to vent frustration with your trailer is GD Customer Service or your dealer. GD's phone number is on the "business card" on this forum's home page.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CKorn View Post
            The solar panels are likely wired to the solar charge controller which is wired to the batteries.

When not plugged into shore power (or generator power) the batteries will run the fridge (through the main DC panel).

When plugged into shore power (or generator) the converter will power the DC panel which powers the fridge.

As far as inverter prep, I'm not sure what they did. Do you have anything labeled "Inverter" on the main panel?
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

CKorn

This is what you should find in the front storage,

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter prep.jpg
Views:	2372
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	71294

You should also have an inverter breaker in the power distribution panel, I am not sure if you will have a transfer switch, but one end of this wire should go to the transfer switch. There is little documentation from Grand Design on this because they would want an owner to have a professional do any wiring. If an owner wishes to do this themselves and does not do the job correctly there could be damage done to the RV. If you would like more information on this you could call GD Customer Service and see if they will send you some.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hello, I have a 280RS and have just completed the installation of a inverter and a transfer switch to my unit. Before I go into the details I wish to point out that the 160 watt solar package that is preinstalled is only to support the 12 VDC refrigerator. If you use the 12 Volt system of other items in your unit and you are not connected to shore power, you will most likely wake up to a dead battery. My package included a standard flooded cell deep cycle battery, if you run this type of battery down below a 50% charge, it will damage the battery and will shorten its life. The roof mounted solar panel is just enough to keep the refrigerator happy but nothing more.
                So if you are going off grid you will need to spend some money and upgrade your solar installation. I purchased qty 2 200 Amp Hour lithium batteries and two additional fold out 100 watt panels. After using my system I will be adding a third 100 watt panel soon. I went with the fold out units because they are more flexible to setup and capture more of the sun rays during the day. Roof mounting your panels is good if you always go to the same location and can tilt them up to capture the sun, but when boon-docking you may not always be able to park your rig in the ideal location to capture the sun.
                Getting back to the inverter prep that GD did for these units. The circuit breaker panel is actually broken down into 3 sections. The Line 1 50 amp, the Line 2 50 amp, and the "Inverter Prep" 30 amp section. The factory wired a orange romex cable to the first Inverter Prep 30 breaker and then looped it out to the front battery compartment, and then back to the second Inverter Prep 30 amp breaker that feeds the 3rd sub panel. To install a inverter into the system, you must cut the cable located in the battery compartment. Then you need to identify which is the power source side and which is the power return side to the breaker panel. You can do this in several ways, the easiest and is not recommended for beginners is to use a voltage detection device that you can buy at home depot that is used to verify hot outlets. Apply power to the shore input and let the tool tell you which side of the cut cable is hot.

Next you need to install a a transfer switch. I used the Go Power model TS-30 and it provides a AC power cord with a 3 prong connector to connect the inverter output to. Follow the manufactures wiring instructions and connect the shore power to the cable identified in the previous step and the Load outputs to the other half of the romex cable that you cut in two previously. The most difficult part of this job is bending the romex into position in the transfer switch as it a very rigid wire to work with. Take your time and insure that the ground wires are routed so as not to touch the relay during travel. I have attached a schematic diagram to support this job.
                Attached Files
                Ken Wagner Retired Electronics Mfg Eng.
                2022 Reflection 150 series 280RS
                2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2 Gas

Comment

Interesting post and details from klwagner52 on his installation. I have a 22 28BH with the inverter prep and while i see the 30Amp breakers in the fuse panel i clearly do not have any romex pigtail pulled to my front storage battery area. Is it possible that GD just left a roll of romex stuck behind the wall in the pass thru?
                  Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
                  RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
                  PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Would folks know the current draw for the 12V fridge?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Would folks know the current draw for the 12V fridge?

Jim
                      Based on the picture I see on the GD Parts website, the OP's refrigerator is a 10 cu. ft. Furrion Arctic® 12 Volt Built-In Refrigerator.

Name:	consumption.JPG
Views:	1983
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	72567

1.08kWh = 1080 watt hours (wH)

1080 /12vDC = 90aH per day

This can be thought of as effectively as one 100aH Battle Born (BB) battery required per day, assuming no external source applied like solar, generator, shore, etc.

To put this in context, a "cool down" test I ran on a Dometic 1350 absorption refrigerator (via a Multiplus inverter running off 4 BB batteries) consumed 358aH in only 10 hours, 22 minutes.

Not a straight, apples-to-apples comparison but it sure reveals the efficiency difference between an absorption ("RV") and compressor ("residential") refrigerator. The new 12v versions of the compressor refrigerators are even more efficient since there's no need to convert 12vDC to 120vAC.

Name:	Test awhile ago.JPG
Views:	1837
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	72568
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Nice job Howard.

This confirms a generator is needed where under worse conditions, the batteries required would be costly. An extensive solar system would reduce or eliminate generator usage with full sun. In shaded sites, the generator would be required. Its nice to let folks know whats required for boondocking where this can be done inexpensively or at great expense. Its all based on the goal. Inverter generators from others does not bother us but man those folks with the contractor units?

Jim

Comment

Don't think the fridge would last a night.11 amps is still a lot to expect from a dealer supplied battery. Probably good idea to add another battery. A lot better than investing a pile of $$$ to run a 120vac fridge off batteries though.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            Nice job Howard.

This confirms a generator is needed where under worse conditions, the batteries required would be costly. An extensive solar system would reduce or eliminate generator usage with full sun. In shaded sites, the generator would be required. Its nice to let folks know whats required for boondocking where this can be done inexpensively or at great expense. Its all based on the goal. Inverter generators from others does not bother us but man those folks with the contractor units?

Jim
                            Jim,

When I was on my elk hunting adventure in September, we camped in a forest service campground with a pretty extensive tree canopy. We would only get 1-2 hours of sunlight per day on the array. It was the first time in three years that I needed to run a generator to keep up with the electrical demands on my 300 aH battery bank. If I can get at least four hours of sunlight, I can get by without the generator, even with the DC refrigerator.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Nice that you were able to save your trip Jim.

I would be interested in pics of your hunt if you wish to PM.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X