New 25G - How Does it all Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 25G - How Does it all Work?

I have a 2021 Momentum 25g . It has the generator and 175watt solar/refrigerator package.(not the 300 watt package) . Can anyone tell me what I have and how it all works together. What does it run / charge ? Can I upgrade ? Would like run the fridge and a few lights off grid . Thanks

Originally posted by Tl1hughes View Post
    I have a 2021 Momentum 25g . It has the generator and 175watt solar/refrigerator package.(not the 300 watt package) . Can anyone tell me what I have and how it all works together. What does it run / charge ? Can I upgrade ? Would like run the fridge and a few lights off grid . Thanks
    First -- welcome to the forum. If you'd like to learn more about how the forum, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Can you provide a little more background on how much you know about electricity? That will inform the response.

If you'd rather, there's a thread in the Reference Channel with multiple different recommended resources. There's also TucsonJim's excellent Solar 101 presentation in the Solar channel's Reference Material section. (The Welcome Letter will make all the terminology, like "channels", make sense.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So with what you have, 175 watt solar panel, 30 amp Jaboni solar controller, and what I would guess is what your dealer installed is a deep cycle battery. The solar panel and charger under good conditions will charge your battery during good sunlight hours during the day. This will depend on how much you use during the night. Along with the lights you will use the refer will run during the night as well as a few other items that always have 12 v power to them, propane detector, radio memory to name a couple. A battery monitor will let you know what the charge state of the battery is and how much that you are using and have left. Having the generator will help you when needed. The solar is a pretty basic setup but should help keep the battery up, if conditions are right.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My knowledge on solar is limited. I have a brand new unit that I don’t completely understand how it operates. Due to various issues I got a very limited walk thru of the systems and how they operate and intermingle . The manuals are somewhat helpful. I guess I will list my questions,
        - does this system charge my batteries automatically
        ​​​​​​- one manual mentions a Bluetooth unit I can connect to and monitor performance - I downloaded app and connected but not sure what I am seeing . It has a MC series MPPT Solar charge controller and Bluetooth adapter .
        ​​​​​​- is it always on or do I need to do something
        - will it keep my batteries maintained or do I need to plug in or put batteries on a charger like my motorcycle.
        - my fuse panel lists a converter and inverter - does this setup use both - the upgrade to the 300 watt system mentions the need to add an inverter , 1000 watt for the tt .
        Sorry for the newbie questions - lesson learned - NEVER PICK UP A NEW UNIT WITHOUT A COMPLETE WALKTHROUGH !!

Thanks for your patience !

Comment

When on shore power or generator the converter/charger will automatically charge your battery.

As long as you have sunlight the solar controller , MPPT, should be charging the battery, no sunlight no charging, this will be done automatically as well.

If you use more battery power than the solar can replace then it will not keep your battery fully charged.

If you wish to run ac appliances then you would need an inverter, this changes 12 v dc battery power into 120 v ac , this would also require a better battery setup.

Plenty of patience here and plenty of helpful owners, glad you are asking questions as it helps others as well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

@TI1hughes -- Have you noticed how the CompassConnect display shows the battery voltage level? tdeperte showed this to the forum in a recent post here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/7...0900#post70900 You might find that whole thread interesting.

The point is that it's important to know, based on the assumption you have a standard wet-cell battery in the trailer, that the battery should not go below 50% "state of charge" (or SoC) before running the generator or finding another way to recharge the battery (such as plugging in to shore power). Your stock trailer will only show a voltage level, not a percentage, so it's up to you to know what the voltage reading that corresponds to 50% SoC.

That may be confusing, so please check out a primer on the topic written by my fellow moderator TucsonJim : Batteries 101 at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery

And don't worry--if it feels like you're drinking from a fire hose right now most of us here have already been there so we understand!

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tl1hughes View Post
              My knowledge on solar is limited. I have a brand new unit that I don’t completely understand how it operates. Due to various issues I got a very limited walk thru of the systems and how they operate and intermingle . The manuals are somewhat helpful. I guess I will list my questions,
              - does this system charge my batteries automatically
              ​​​​​​- one manual mentions a Bluetooth unit I can connect to and monitor performance - I downloaded app and connected but not sure what I am seeing . It has a MC series MPPT Solar charge controller and Bluetooth adapter .
              ​​​​​​- is it always on or do I need to do something
              - will it keep my batteries maintained or do I need to plug in or put batteries on a charger like my motorcycle.
              - my fuse panel lists a converter and inverter - does this setup use both - the upgrade to the 300 watt system mentions the need to add an inverter , 1000 watt for the tt .
              Sorry for the newbie questions - lesson learned - NEVER PICK UP A NEW UNIT WITHOUT A COMPLETE WALKTHROUGH !!

Thanks for your patience !
              Can anyone tell me where the Solar Charge Controller is located in a 25G? Asked the dealer - he does not know. I have watched videos and see that I should be able to connect an app via blue-tooth yto the controller to get an idea of what is going on. For clarity:
              - 2022 Momentum 25G
              - Solar from the factory (one panel)
              - Have searched all the bays and cabinets and cannot find the dang solar controller!
              - Paperwork for the solar controller is included in my package of owner's literature

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi David. Welcome to the forum. Most of the time, the controller is mounted on the ceiling of the basement storage area. And typically on the driver's side. Please share with us once you find it.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by David Jenkins View Post

Can anyone tell me where the Solar Charge Controller is located in a 25G? Asked the dealer - he does not know. I have watched videos and see that I should be able to connect an app via blue-tooth yto the controller to get an idea of what is going on. For clarity:
                  - 2022 Momentum 25G
                  - Solar from the factory (one panel)
                  - Have searched all the bays and cabinets and cannot find the dang solar controller!
                  - Paperwork for the solar controller is included in my package of owner's literature

Thanks in advance!
                  Hi David,
                  At the National Rally this year I couldn't find the controller in the similar 32G. A GD rep showed me it's behind an access panel as shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	access panel here.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	101185

When you get a moment, check out the welcome letter to learn more about this forum.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                  X