Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Solar charge batteries when disconnect switch is pulled out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Solar charge batteries when disconnect switch is pulled out?

New owner of a 2022 Reflection 337RLS with factory solar wired to the Furrion 50A controller. Deep cycle batteries (2). I've tried to find other posts to answer this question but did not find any. Sorry if this is a repeat question. I understand that if the 12v fridge is turned OFF, it will not draw from the batteries but other items will. Even if I pull out the battery disconnect switch, some "parasitic" items may continue to draw from the battery but, most will be eliminated.

Question- if the battery disconnect switch is pulled out to minimize draw from the batteries, will solar continue to charge the batteries? Not sure how the unit is wired?

Thanks,
    Mike Anderson
    Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500
    Mike & Linda
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 Diesel
    Denver, CO

In a word usually NO. However It all depends on how the solar is wired on your trailer. You need to confirm with a multi meter which every RV owner should have. A very basic one will do fine https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Mu...a-897758219168

The expert howson Dr Howard will be along soon to add additional information.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

andyusna77 --

Keith is most likely correct. Usually solar is wired from solar panels to controller, then controller to battery bank bypassing the trailer's battery disconnect.

Probably already discussed this in another post, but to recap an ideal setup has a shutoff switch between the panels and controller (to turn off solar, or "PV") and then a resettable circuit breaker between the controller and battery (to protect the circuit, due to practically unconstrained battery power source, and make it easy to turn off the controller).

Howard

P.S. I'm JAO ("Just an Owner") like yourself with a bit of hands-on experience and a few years of mentorship from my fellow moderators Cate&Rob and TucsonJim. Yoda is bit effusive in his reference to me.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I thank each of you for the input. Where I was headed was back to the Furrion MPPT 50A requirement to connect the batteries before connecting the controller with the Solar panels. The reverse scenario appears to be of the same logic- disconnect Solar from the Controller before disconnecting batteries (I'm thinking of winter storage).

So, does pulling the battery disconnect switch act in the same manner as removing the battery cables from the battery posts in terms of what the Controller sees? As has been stated (I believe) this is not the desired sequence as stated by Furrion for their MPPT 50A controller?

I believe I need to take this up with GD to see how they set-up their wiring between components. I ordered my Reflection 337RLS 5 months ago and after about 2 months they announced the 165W Solar system was now mandatory, along with the 12V, 16 cu. ft. Furrion Artic refrigerator. So my system is a factory set-up but came with no manuals addressing what an owner is responsible for doing regarding Solar. This forum has been a GREAT tool for learning and I thank you for your valuable knowledge and time. And yes to the multi-meter!

Mike
        Mike & Linda
        2022 Reflection 337RLS
        Ram 3500 Diesel
        Denver, CO

Comment

Originally posted by andyusna77 View Post
          So, does pulling the battery disconnect switch act in the same manner as removing the battery cables from the battery posts in terms of what the Controller sees?
          Unlikely. The output of the battery disconnect usually connects to the input of the Power Distribution Panel (12vDC IN). The rough diagram below is how I'd expect your trailer to be wired.

Note the WFCO power distribution panel is representative of what is in your trailer, not exactly what's installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rough Outline with WFCO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	72672

Edit: Keep in mind the diagram above leaves out a LOT of detail--it's meant to convey an answer to the topic in this thread.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow moment! This explains a lot Howard. Got it and thanks!!
            Mike, Reflection 337RLS, Ram 3500
            Mike & Linda
            2022 Reflection 337RLS
            Ram 3500 Diesel
            Denver, CO

Comment

Here is a picture of what your factory buss/power bar may look like with the plastic cover off. You should find it in your front storage bay in the right lower corner (two screws hold the cover on). You solar controller could be wire to it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0516s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.4 KB ID:	72726
              For my Reflection 220RK
              The far left red wire goes to the battery. Red wire below attached to the circuit breaker goes to the disconnect switch. The black wire attached to the same terminal as the battery goes to the emergency break away switch. Top brass bar remains hot when disconnect switch is open(off). To fully disconnect you need to remove a cable from a terminal on the battery. Lower right black wire is from disconnect switch and second black wire goes to the positive terminal on the 12v side of the distribution panel. Top white wire goes to slide controller. The middle red/white stripe, white/black stripe, and orange /white stripe go to front jacks and one goes to the Furrion solar plug mounted on the front of my trailer. The other is the charge wire from the TV. I don't remember which is which. The smoke and propane detectors are always hot unless battery cable is removed. Note all the circuits tied to the brass bar directly or through circuit breakers remain on (hot) with disconnect off (key can be removed)

If you find another positive wire here on your unit it is most likely from your solar controller. Depending where they tied it iin will tell you if the disconnect switch is involved or not. If you take a picture and post we might be able to tell you.

Hope this helps
              Merry Christmas
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith- thank you for taking the time to describe this set-up. My camper is at a storage lot so I will remove the cover and take a pic next time there. I admit I am a novice with electric stuff but do try to learn as much as I can with 12V and our camper.

On a separate not, I spoke to Kyle Davis at GD customer service today (Regional Service Manager) asking about disconnecting the batteries without disconnecting the Solar PV from the Controller. I was clear about what the Furrion MPPT 60 manual said about connecting batteries before connecting Solar to the Controller. His response was "As we discussed on the phone, you can disconnect your batteries and do not need to do anything further with the solar system. If you have any issues please contact myself". I had him send me this response in an email which I have. I did speak about inputs coming in from the GD Owners Forum and what many conclusions were stated on this subject that was different. I'll rely on GD direction in the absence of a GD Owners Manual that speaks to their factory installed Solar System.

Further, I asked about a solar disconnect switch. He was not sure so asked a fellow associate named Keith and repeated to me that there should be a solar disconnect switch opposite the battery disconnect switch and that is was required by Code. I have a follow up email into Kyle Davis at GD seeking clarification on this statement.

Based on just a couple measurements, I believe the batteries ARE charged by Solar when the battery disconnect switch is pulled. On 12/17 I took a reading from the One Control app on the phone showing battery at 12.5V. I had been running slides and jacks that day. I pulled the battery disconnect switch and today when I went back the One Control app read 12.9V. I plan to verify these readings by repeating the process a couple times. Not sure if this method is reliable? It's been sunny here in CO so the variable with cloudy days may need to be considered.

Sorry for the long message but maybe there might be some data points to consider or expand on?

Thanks again very much,
                Mike

Mike & Linda
                2022 Reflection 337RLS
                Ram 3500 Diesel
                Denver, CO

Comment

If it's wired like Dr. Howson's diagram in post #5 it will charge the batteries regardless of switch position. Your voltage measurements seem to confirm it. Although depending when you took your readings, was your battery disconnected from the load with the 12.9v and connected to the trailer load for the 12.5v?

I want to point out something in Yoda's picture. Be very careful when connecting/disconnecting wires in your RV. You will notice in Yoda's picture the there is a red wire and a black wire on the same lug.
                  This SHOULD never be the case in DC systems. Red or White should be positive, Black always negative. RV manufacturers don't seem to care about wire colour though. So NEVER assume the polarity of a wire just by it's colour in an RV. Always confirm with a meter.

Yoda It would be a good idea for you to put a couple wraps of red electrical tape on that black wire.
                  Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-21-2021, 07:24 AM.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by andyusna77 View Post
                    Keith- thank you for taking the time to describe this set-up. My camper is at a storage lot so I will remove the cover and take a pic next time there. I admit I am a novice with electric stuff but do try to learn as much as I can with 12V and our camper.

On a separate not, I spoke to Kyle Davis at GD customer service today (Regional Service Manager) asking about disconnecting the batteries without disconnecting the Solar PV from the Controller. I was clear about what the Furrion MPPT 60 manual said about connecting batteries before connecting Solar to the Controller. His response was "As we discussed on the phone, you can disconnect your batteries and do not need to do anything further with the solar system. If you have any issues please contact myself". I had him send me this response in an email which I have. I did speak about inputs coming in from the GD Owners Forum and what many conclusions were stated on this subject that was different. I'll rely on GD direction in the absence of a GD Owners Manual that speaks to their factory installed Solar System.

Further, I asked about a solar disconnect switch. He was not sure so asked a fellow associate named Keith and repeated to me that there should be a solar disconnect switch opposite the battery disconnect switch and that is was required by Code. I have a follow up email into Kyle Davis at GD seeking clarification on this statement.

Based on just a couple measurements, I believe the batteries ARE charged by Solar when the battery disconnect switch is pulled. On 12/17 I took a reading from the One Control app on the phone showing battery at 12.5V. I had been running slides and jacks that day. I pulled the battery disconnect switch and today when I went back the One Control app read 12.9V. I plan to verify these readings by repeating the process a couple times. Not sure if this method is reliable? It's been sunny here in CO so the variable with cloudy days may need to be considered.

Sorry for the long message but maybe there might be some data points to consider or expand on?

Thanks again very much,
                    Mike
                    Mike
                    Please remember if you get snow on the roof and the panels get covered, the parasitic losses in the trailer will continue and you will kill the battery, Be sure to disconnect a battery cable at some point to prevent this. I know from experience. I had two interstate 12V batterys installed when the trailer was new (part of the deal), I had pulled the disconnect switch. but left solar attached when I stored for the first winter. The next spring I found one of the batterys would no longer take a charge. The second one would not hold a charge.
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                      If it's wired like Dr. Howson's diagram in post #5 it will charge the batteries regardless of switch position. Your voltage measurements seem to confirm it. Although depending when you took your readings, was your battery disconnected from the load with the 12.9v and connected to the trailer load for the 12.5v?

I want to point out something in Yoda's picture. Be very careful when connecting/disconnecting wires in your RV. You will notice in Yoda's picture the there is a red wire and a black wire on the same lug.
                      This SHOULD never be the case in DC systems. Red or White should be positive, Black always negative. RV manufacturers don't seem to care about wire colour though. So NEVER assume the polarity of a wire just by it's colour in an RV. Always confirm with a meter.

Yoda It would be a good idea for you to put a couple wraps of red electrical tape on that black wire.
                      Good idea. I guess they had more black feed wire as power from the disconnect switch is also black. I agree totally wrong in my mind, but I do remember someone got an explanation for it a while back from GD, Ill do the red tape the next time I pull my 4-6V battery bank as it is buried behind it.
                      andyusna77
                      Mike one other thing. If you have grounding issues on you trailer lights, etc check to be sure all the grounding wires are still secure in the blue nut that you will find buried in the foam below the buss bar.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594s.jpg
Views:	2637
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	72778

Name:	IMG_0595s.jpg
Views:	2509
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	72779
                      All the negative wire were stuffed into the blue nut with just 1 coming out to go to a ground on the trailer frame. I found this blue wire nut very loose on my trailer when I was working on my wiring for my MultiPlus install. The brass bar in the picture is my new negative buss bar

Name:	IMG_0605s.jpg
Views:	2561
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	72780
                      Final install with all grounds connected separately. If your curious the red fuse holder provides power to a separate 12v fuse block that I tied my CPAP circuits into as well as power to my reverse lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Good idea. I guess they had more black feed wire as power from the disconnect switch is also black. I agree totally wrong in my mind, but I do remember someone got an explanation for it a while back from GD,
                        Confusion probably relates to 120 vac. The black is hot, white is neutral. So a lot of people see black and think power, which is true in your 120/240vac wired house. But very untrue for 12vdc automotive/RV systems. Or at least should be untrue as shown by your picture, RV manufacturers don't follow convention.

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          All the negative wire were stuffed into the blue nut with just 1 coming out to go to a ground on the trailer frame. I found this blue wire nut very loose on my trailer when I was working on my wiring for my MultiPlus install. The brass bar in the picture is my new negative buss bar
                          Wire nuts should never be used on an RV in my opinion. Great in a nice stationary house..not so great bouncing down the road. That gnd buss bar is a great mod for preventing future headaches. A loose/intermittent gnd can cause 'odd' things to happen making troubleshooting difficult.

Comment

Hi, any update on the"Further, I asked about a solar disconnect switch. He was not sure so asked a fellow associate named Keith and repeated to me that there should be a solar disconnect switch opposite the battery disconnect switch and that is was required by Code. I have a follow up email into Kyle Davis at GD seeking clarification on this statement."
                            was wondering where this Solar disconnect switch is? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybone View Post
                              Hi, any update on the"Further, I asked about a solar disconnect switch. He was not sure so asked a fellow associate named Keith and repeated to me that there should be a solar disconnect switch opposite the battery disconnect switch and that is was required by Code. I have a follow up email into Kyle Davis at GD seeking clarification on this statement."
                              was wondering where this Solar disconnect switch is? thanks
                              There is no solar disconnect switch on the factory solar option. The Moderator Team learned at the factory that this switch is not required as the solar controller can be turned off.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X