Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Additional Solar Panels to standard GD package

Hi All,

i have a 2022 28BH with the standard one panel and Furrion 50A Controller. I have 3 new BougeRV 170 watt panels in the box given to me by a friend so want to go ahead and add them to the rig. Was going to add in parallel and wanted to know if anyone Click image for larger version

Name:	Panels.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	73491 has any suggestions or sees and pitfalls in the plan. Also as i look at the stock setup i dont see any switch to cutoff the panels from the controller so was going to add this as part of the changes. Is that possible a switch was neglected in the initial stock setup? Thanks Al
    Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
    PullRite SuperGlide

Al,

I believe your limiting factor is the wire size between the roof and the Furrion Controller. The maximum current of your panels are 8.91 amp. When you wire the circuit in parallel, the voltage stays the same and the current is summed. I'm not sure what the max current of your existing panel is, but let's say it's also 8.91 amps. 8.91 amps x 4 panels = 35.64 amps (max). All DC wire size charts that I've seen show that this puts you firmly in 8 AWG wire size. I believe your 28BH is wired with 10 AWG wire.

There are some other options you could pursue. You could run another 10 AWG wire and then run two series of parallel connections. Another possibility is to run the three Bouge panels on their own circuit with their own MPPT controller. (Yes, you can have multiple solar circuits/controllers charging your batteries). A third option would be to replace the 10 AWG wire with 8 AWG.

Also understand, that you'll get the best charging if all the panels are matched in voltage/current/impedence characteristics. When you match panels of different capacities, you tend to lose maximum efficiency.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim. Sounds like any way you cut it, im pulling wire. That does not excite me. I would very much like to hear from any of the folks that have pulled a new or replacement set of solar wires and the issues that they faced fishing wires from the roof to the front battery compartment. To note from looking at the 12V Wire Gauge Chart that Will Prowse has in his solar book page 38, he shows a amp load of 35 to 50 amps as a 10GA run for up to 10 feet which i would say means that i would be safe to use 10Ga for a 36 amp run. Think i am on the bubble...
      Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

I think it's on the edge myself. And that is if all panel were generating max current which is highly unlikely, even on the sunniest day.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

allenrude

Where is the solar port on the roof of your unit? Could you supply a picture of the location?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	GD Roof.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	73549 Here you go. About half the way up from the back. also with the stock Furrion controller, it appears that there is no monitoring facilities included either with an app or display.. Assume that users need to install their own shunt to monitor whats going on between the panels and the batteries? Thanks Al
            Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Well that is not a really good spot to put the roof penetration. It must travel thru the ceiling to get to the front storage area. Thanks for the pic, I have not been on the roof of a unit with solar or even prep to see where the parts are located. Changing wire size with that setup would be near impossible.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Agree. Having the port in the middle of the port at least for me kills the idea of pulling new wires. If it was up on the front cap area, then maybe we have a different discussion, but not in the middle. Once the weather breaks, i will put on the 3 new panels and monitor amps, but will not be pulling any new wires. Thanks for the feedback.. Al
                Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

On my rig, I put (2) panels in series. Each is 24v, 8amps so in series thats 8amps @ 48volts. I did that twice and connected the sets in parallel; so I have 16amps @ 48volts. The 10awg wire, from roof to basement is plenty big enough for 20amps. Keep in mind, that is ultra ideal and really only possible under direct sunlight for a few hours/day. A leaf, patch of dust, tree shade etc. very quickly clobber the amperage. That is why I put (2) sets of series panels on each side of rig. If you park rig north/south then the panels would be optimal.

I am trying to understand why someone commented about putting all (4) in series. I have a few concerns. 1) a single leaf, patch of dust, shade will really clobber the output of series panels. 2) 30+ amps is a lot of heat in itself. 3) The MPPT controller for 30amps is getting pricey.

I installed the solar "kill" switch, as you mentioned, very important for safety. I removed the GD factory solar controller and installed the Victron components. They work great.

Have a look at my design (ASIN #'s are Amazon codes), I am very happy with this setup and have installed on 3 trailers so far.

HTH, Tom

Trailer Solar wiring_2020_Nov2.pdf
                  2022 GD 2970RL (Built Dec 2021, Deliver March 2022)
                  2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear
                  2017 GD 2600rb (Private sale May 2022)
                  2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by wudwork View Post
                    On my rig, I put (2) panels in series. Each is 24v, 8amps so in series thats 8amps @ 48volts.
                    Hi Tom--welcome to the forum. Nice job on the diagram--very clean. I suspect you found the Welcome Letter as you filled out your sig line (thanks)!

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                    X