Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panels

Hello! We are proud owners of a 2019 Imagine 3170BHTS, we cannot wait to take our kids camping. Our trailer is solar ready and this may sound like a stupid question but do we just go out and purchase the panels? Is it set up with the converter, batteries,etc?

Thank you in advance!

I'll wait for TucsonJim to chime in (he's got a PDF document called "Solar 101"), but no - you don't just add panels. A complete installation will require a battery monitor, charge controller, and enough batteries to suit your needs - in addition to the solar panels, cables, etc. You will need to add an inverter (different from a converter/charger) if you want to run AC from your battery bank and not just use the solar for charging the batteries. It's all in Jim's document.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thank you so much! It's our first 'big boy' travel trailer and I know we're going to want to go off the grid.

Comment

Jim's "Solar 101" presentation pdf is in this thread below from Jim, post #1. As Rob shared, I am sure Jim will chime in at some point as well. I think the mods. are in IN training this week and thus not as readily jumping in on the forum.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/2...national-rally

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

The "Solar Prep" is only connections on the roof and wiring dropped down a channel to the front pass thru storage area.

A "Solar Package" can be ordered with panels and an inverter. Grand Design will not be supplying batteries as there are many options and needs by the end user.

Jim will be along at some time as today was "travel back home day".

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            The "Solar Prep" is only connections on the roof and wiring dropped down a channel to the front pass thru storage area.

A "Solar Package" can be ordered with panels and an inverter. Grand Design will not be supplying batteries as there are many options and needs by the end user.

Jim will be along at some time as today was "travel back home day".

Brian
            I could be wrong but I think the solar prep on the Imagine is the connection on the front of the trailer for the suitcase panel with the built in controller, or did they start wiring the roofs in the Imagines too?
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I could be wrong but I think the solar prep on the Imagine is the connection on the front of the trailer for the suitcase panel with the built in controller, or did they start wiring the roofs in the Imagines too?
              They are starting to provide the connections on the roof on some models. I am not sure which exact models and when or if all models will be included. I believe they are headed to include all models.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm home now. As mentioned, the new Solar Prep for all products (with the exception of Transcend) will include a channel from the roof to the basement storage with 10AWG wires already installed. The wires will be terminated with MC4 connectors for easy "plug and play" with most solar panels.

GDRV is working with a company called Jaboni which will install solar charging systems and inverters as an option. They were just starting to install these packages on a couple of Momentums while I was visiting. I'm not sure when they will roll it out to other product lines.

As a note, the small plugs that are wired from the side of the coach to the batteries will be eliminated in future builds.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

They are starting to provide the connections on the roof on some models. I am not sure which exact models and when or if all models will be included. I believe they are headed to include all models.

Brian
                  Wow thats great I did not realize they were rolling it out to all the lines. Excellent news!
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Wonderful! I got a call from Grand Design and it seems easy enough. Thank you ever one.

Comment

Originally posted by Samandshane View Post
                      Wonderful! I got a call from Grand Design and it seems easy enough. Thank you ever one.
                      Great news!

Please keep us informed on the progress.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Post moved to it's own topic--see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/4...ts-solar-ready
                        Last edited by howson; 03-21-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Samandshane View Post
                          Hello! We are proud owners of a 2019 Imagine 3170BHTS, we cannot wait to take our kids camping. Our trailer is solar ready and this may sound like a stupid question but do we just go out and purchase the panels? Is it set up with the converter, batteries,etc?

Thank you in advance!
                          Check this thread with some great answers; https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/4...ts-solar-ready
                          2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

Working...
                          X