No announcement yet.

What type of roof mount for the panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of roof mount for the panels?

Anyone ever have to remove a panel when they used Z brackets straight to the roof? Maybe to replace it or repair wiring or something? Do you regret going with the Z mounts?

I was planning to use Z brackets on my 6 panels but they're a pretty permanent solution, and so low to the roof if a wire got unplugged I couldn't even get under there to fix it.
    I did read a comment one time on FB that someone said it was easier to cut the aluminum bracket off rather than try to scrape it off the roof and then repair the roof holes...

I'm thinking of returning the Z brackets and going to tilt mounts. Not that I want to tilt them, but if I ever needed to I could get under the panels or even remove the panels.

thoughts?
    Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
    2021 GD 2670MK
    2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

I had Z-brackets on my first install. It was a mistake. i couldn't clean under the roof and it became a real mess. When I added more panels, I got rid of the Z brackets and made my own tiltable version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	800W 9.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	74403
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

This is what I used based on Paul & Deb . They are pricey but after seeing them I think they are worth the money, I have the ability to make my own but I could not make them for $20 each mount.

35mm Rocker Foot Mount Set (amsolar.com)

To be able to tilt you also need to make sure that the mounts are bolted to the solar panel far enough out towards the edge that it will tilt. Yes I did learn this as I had bolted mine to the panels in the predrilled holes the panel came with, they would not tilt. I had to drill new holes out close to the edge so they would tilt. Luckily, I found this before mounting to the roof. I did make tilt arms but I mostly used the tilt mounts to clean under the panels if needed. Also if you use the tilt mounts make sure the wire has enough length to allow for tilting, just little things that I have learned.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. Since I don't plan to do a second go-around I will start looking for something like tiltable mounts.

Brain, those look like nice mounts but oh my, I paid less for the panels! :-O
        2021 GD 2670MK
        2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Anyone use well nuts?
          2021 GD 2670MK
          2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
            Anyone use well nuts?
            Had to go do some reading: https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...are-they-used/

The short answer is I do not know of anyone that has used well nuts in a solar installation. Based on what I read on the website linked above, if I was going to go with hardware like this it would be the rivnut based on the statement (at the bottom of the webpage) that rivnut's have Significantly Stronger Pull-Out Strength. More on rivnuts here:http://www.rivet-nut.com/about-rivnut.html

Finally, within the limited exposure I've had on this subject, all of the installations had the mounts screwed to the roof's subroof plywood (going right through the TPO roof material) and sealed the screws and mounts with Alpha or equivalent sealer. That's how mine are installed and they are (still) rock solid. (I do a gentle pull test when I do my regular roof inspections.)

If you go with a well nut or rivnut you may be the proverbial "guinea pig".

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X