Furrion 50A Charge Controller - How to monitor/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 50A Charge Controller - How to monitor/

As it appears that this controller has no integrated app or monitor capability, i would like to hear from others what they have added to allow for the monitoring of the charging process, batteries, etc..
    Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
    PullRite SuperGlide

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
    As it appears that this controller has no integrated app or monitor capability, i would like to hear from others what they have added to allow for the monitoring of the charging process, batteries, etc..
    Wow--I thought the controller had at least the option of adding a bluetooth monitor, but I just read through the manual. Nope. Nothing. To see what's going on you have to be right in front of the monitor panel. Not ideal, since the controller is usually buried in the basement or passthru. Consider giving Furrion a call--perhaps there's something about the controller that's not documented in the manual or on their website. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

If you find the Furrion is a no-go and having a remote monitoring capability is a "must have", consider selling that Furrion and purchase a Victron SmartSolar MPPT and don't look back. I realize your trailer is new and that is probably a distasteful suggestion. (I wouldn't be happy, either.)

If you do go the route of getting a new MPPT, think about getting enough controller to handle any additional panels you may add to the roof in the future.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I wonder if it can be monitored through the RV-C connection. Even though there is no mention of software.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have to agree with howson, the reality is the Furrion stuff is low technology equipment compared to almost anything out there. There are plenty of reasonably priced solar controllers with monitoring capability. Maybe just ditch the Furrion and invest in something better. That's exactly what I did in my 2022 Imagine. I dumped both the Furrion solar controller and the Furrion solar panel. I went with the Victron solar controller but even Renogy has a very reasonably priced controller with Bluetooth monitoring.

Another suggestion is to add a good battery monitor, like a VE BMV-712, and you'll at least be able to see if your solar is keeping your batteries charged effectively.
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Thank you all for the inputs. Was hoping that I had just missed something while going thru the manuals. Not sure why anyone would want a controller thats more or less just a "black box", without any kind of monitoring capabilities. Better than nothing? Jury is out. May have just been happier with the solar prep only so i got the wires run from the roof to the front compartment and then I could have started and built from there. All I have done for the last 3 months is drill, rip out, and install things, looks like i will have to add another MPPT controller to the list of things to replace. :(
          Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
            Thank you all for the inputs. Was hoping that I had just missed something while going thru the manuals. Not sure why anyone would want a controller thats more or less just a "black box", without any kind of monitoring capabilities. Better than nothing? Jury is out. May have just been happier with the solar prep only so i got the wires run from the roof to the front compartment and then I could have started and built from there. All I have done for the last 3 months is drill, rip out, and install things, looks like i will have to add another MPPT controller to the list of things to replace. :(
            I bought mine in July of 2018 and I'm still not done replacing things...hang in there.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I contacted Furrion and there is no Bluetooth option for monitoring. It's a shame GD went this route. I couldn't even find a disconnect between the panel and the controller. Very disappointed in GD. To boot all I got was one lead acid battery, heck the cheap Jayco I traded in at least had two lead acids.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmak View Post
                I contacted Furrion and there is no Bluetooth option for monitoring. It's a shame GD went this route. I couldn't even find a disconnect between the panel and the controller. Very disappointed in GD. To boot all I got was one lead acid battery, heck the cheap Jayco I traded in at least had two lead acids.
                I'm not in the habit of making excuses for Grand Design, but the battery choice is left up to the dealer. I personally as well as others I know have suggested to them that they start sending them out with batteries, but they're concerned with theft, as well the trailer sitting on a dealer lot with the battery aging before it's sold.

As for the disconnect switch and Furrion gear in general, you're preaching to the choir there.

Keep in mind this is an owners group, we're all just owners like you. If you're interested in replacing the Furrion controller (I'm partial to Victron) with something that has Bluetooth, or installing a disconnect switch you've come to the right place. There's some great guides on the process.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

allenrude, So I have the same controller. The "newer" 2022 units now come with a Furrion voltage meter for the unit. Which is ok if you are using lead acid or agm. If you have lithium, then a voltage meter is useless.
                  There are a ton of options on Amazon. I have installed the GoPower meter which shows a total amps being used (incoming and outgoing) and the state of the battery in Ah. Victron and Renogy has very similar ones. You can also add in the bluetooth version of the Victron and Renogy options.
                  We live to serve our two Golder Retrievers
                  2022 Reflection 303RLS
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

Originally posted by gtippett View Post
                    allenrude, So I have the same controller. The "newer" 2022 units now come with a Furrion voltage meter for the unit. Which is ok if you are using lead acid or agm. If you have lithium, then a voltage meter is useless.
                    There are a ton of options on Amazon. I have installed the GoPower meter which shows a total amps being used (incoming and outgoing) and the state of the battery in Ah. Victron and Renogy has very similar ones. You can also add in the bluetooth version of the Victron and Renogy options.
                    Actually the newer units are shipping with an actual shunt that reads the current in and out of the batteries. There's no app control but you can set the total ah to display the state of charge.

I know the new 303RLS that WondersAwait just bought came with it, I believe his was made in January.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Correct. My 303 has a January 22 build and shipped with the furrion shunt. It can show the battery percent (if calibrated correctly, good luck with that), Ah remaining, and current in/out. It's not as robust with details as some of the aftermarket options but it's not bad for a stock shunt/display.
                      David and Deana
                      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                      2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Happy to hear that GD is making the attempt to give some insight as to whats going on with the battery system.. Over the last couple of months i pulled the Furrion Charge Controller and replaced with the Victron Smart controller and added the Smart Shunt. Very happy with both. Good gear all around.
                        Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Does anyone know how to calibrate and change settings on the monitor? Please share if you do. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Judieb68 View Post
                            Does anyone know how to calibrate and change settings on the monitor? Please share if you do. Thanks
                            This thread should help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-instructions

Comment

Good day. I have the 2023 22mle and have the the battery monitor which is much simpler than the xantrex mentioned. Mine came with the instructions if your interested let me know. I would like to instal my victron shunt. Does some one know where the furrion shunt is installed

Comment

Working...
                              X