Proprietary Furrion Solar Port on roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briton View Post
    I came across the same issue when adding additional panels on the roof of my 2022 imagine.. thought I would offer what I feel is the cheapest and easiest solution that I used! You just need to be familiar with building and crimping your own mc4 connectors/ cables.

CUT the connectors off the Furrion solar panel and replace with mc4 connectors. Unscrew the compression caps on the furrion connectors and take note of which parts belong to each connector (male/female). The small 14 g wire that is used on the furrion panel is only soldered into the metal pin in the furrion connector. Heat it up with a soldering iron and the wire will come right out! You can now solder the same pin onto heavier 10g wire and reassemble the connector. Add an mc4 on the other end of each wire and bingo! You have and mc4 to Furrion Adapter with 10g wire (same gauge that is in the roof port) now you can add additional panels that use the industry standard mc4’s. Hope this helps. Much better than cutting off the roof port.
    Always makes me smile when a new member's first post is a helpful one.

Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I hope you'll stop by (and post) often.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
      I came across the same issue when adding additional panels on the roof of my 2022 imagine.. thought I would offer what I feel is the cheapest and easiest solution that I used! You just need to be familiar with building and crimping your own mc4 connectors/ cables.

CUT the connectors off the Furrion solar panel and replace with mc4 connectors. Unscrew the compression caps on the furrion connectors and take note of which parts belong to each connector (male/female). The small 14 g wire that is used on the furrion panel is only soldered into the metal pin in the furrion connector. Heat it up with a soldering iron and the wire will come right out! You can now solder the same pin onto heavier 10g wire and reassemble the connector. Add an mc4 on the other end of each wire and bingo! You have and mc4 to Furrion Adapter with 10g wire (same gauge that is in the roof port) now you can add additional panels that use the industry standard mc4’s. Hope this helps. Much better than cutting off the roof port.
      Are the Male and Female Furrion connectors consistent polarity-wise with industry-standard MC4? If so, that's a nice easy mod!
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Is it possible to cut the cables going from the factory solar panel to the Furrion roof port then crimp on MC4 connectors to each of the cut ends to allow connecting other MC4 type panels? Sure would be easier than removing the factory roof gland.

Brian
        I will be doing this in the spring when the temp comes up a bit, hopefully. lol

Comment

Originally posted by bironacad View Post
          I will be doing this in the spring when the temp comes up a bit, hopefully. lol
          Please share the "how to", this will surely help others. I was hoping someone would do this, one other has that I know of.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The polarity is the same. The male Furrion is the positive and female the negative. When you are making the adapter you have to put the opposite mc4 on the other end of your Furrion adapter. Ei a female mc4 with the male Furrion so that the male (pos) soft your panel is connected to the positive on the Furrion roof port.

the reason I changed the wire completely was because 14g wire from the original panel was not adaquate to handle the amperage my upgraded panel array was putting out.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Is it possible to cut the cables going from the factory solar panel to the Furrion roof port then crimp on MC4 connectors to each of the cut ends to allow connecting other MC4 type panels? Sure would be easier than removing the factory roof gland.

Brian
              that’s exactly what I did. Cut the wiring about 8” back from the gland and put MC4’s on the wire. Essentially a 8” jumper from the proprietary Furrion to industry standard MC4. To their credit GD should be proud of the Dicor job they did on the Furrion gland. Since my 4x 200w panels are wired 2s2p the 47v/16a was well in spec for the wiring there.

Comment

There was another post in this forum that said Furrion has connectors which plug in their glam and go into MC4 connectors. The part # is C-FSEB30JWL-BL-004.
                I tried to find the person who posted it to give them credit, but could not find the post. They said GD is using this to install larger Solar Panels on new trailers.

Comment

Working...
                X