Extra cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra cables?

Hey, I just got my 2020 315 RLTS and noticed on the younger a bundle of red wire, is this for the solar hook up? My salesman said that because my “solar pre-wire” is on the roof, this wire is to hook the panels into the battery? Can’t get a good answer....thx

Originally posted by R Brown View Post
    Hey, I just got my 2020 315 RLTS and noticed on the younger a bundle of red wire, is this for the solar hook up? My salesman said that because my “solar pre-wire” is on the roof, this wire is to hook the panels into the battery? Can’t get a good answer....thx
    Short answer--yes. I'll leave the detailed explanation to TucsonJim since he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

He's got a "Solar 101" presentation in this thread if you're interested: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/2...rally#post2924
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks!!! I will try to download the presentation on my Mac, for some reason I can’t on the phone....

Comment

Hi there. If you can post a photo of the wires, I can let you know what you're seeing. But whatever you do, they should not be "hooked to the battery". Solar wires from the roof would have to be hooked into a solar controller and then wires run from the controller to the battery. If you hooked the panels directly to the battery, you'd cook the battery and destroy it in a very short time.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X