Furrion Solar Controller Battery Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Solar Controller Battery Selection

I have a 2022 2600RB. It came standard with a single roof mounted Furrion solar panel/controller. The manual says that on the controller I need to select the type of battery I am using (AGM, sealed or Lithium). I’ve attached a picture of the battery that came with my rig. I know it’s not a lithium battery but not sure whether it is an AGM or sealed battery. I want to sure I make the correct selection on my controller. Can anyone help?

Also, I noticed that the lights on the controller are illuminated without my battery installed. Is that normal?….I assume the solar controller is being charged directly by the solar panel.Click image for larger version

Name:	0EE89023-655A-4EFB-B7DC-DDDA1239E6FE.jpeg
Views:	1308
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	81642
    Ken
    2022 2600RB
    2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6l Gas

Based on https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Sheet-0194.pdf I am going to say Flooded Lead Acid.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
      I have a 2022 2600RB. It came standard with a single roof mounted Furrion solar panel/controller. The manual says that on the controller I need to select the type of battery I am using (AGM, sealed or Lithium). I’ve attached a picture of the battery that came with my rig. I know it’s not a lithium battery but not sure whether it is an AGM or sealed battery. I want to sure I make the correct selection on my controller. Can anyone help?

Also, I noticed that the lights on the controller are illuminated without my battery installed. Is that normal?….I assume the solar controller is being charged directly by the solar panel.Click image for larger version

Name:	0EE89023-655A-4EFB-B7DC-DDDA1239E6FE.jpeg
Views:	1308
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	81642
      Jlawles2
      Joseph is correct
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I agree with above, you should choose the AGM setting.

As long as you have daylight you will have some sort of power to the controller from the panel. This also means the wires coming to the battery from the controller will have power, you will see this from the small sparks when you attach them to the battery. Be careful not to leave these wires touch anything as they will cause a short and probably damage the controller.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. AGM setting it is then.

Regarding "the wires coming to the battery from the controller will have power"...if I flip the red battery disconnect switch in the docking station will the solar controller still be pushing any power to those wires? If so, is there a safer way wo store those battery wires (as opposed to just separating them in the battery box?
          Ken
          2022 2600RB
          2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6l Gas

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
            Thanks for the feedback. AGM setting it is then.

Regarding "the wires coming to the battery from the controller will have power"...if I flip the red battery disconnect switch in the docking station will the solar controller still be pushing any power to those wires? If so, is there a safer way wo store those battery wires (as opposed to just separating them in the battery box?
            Ken,
            The ideal configuration is to have cutoff switches between the panel and controller as well as between the battery and controller (as shown in the Furrion manual). Every controller manual I've read (which is not exhaustive by any means) has required removal of PV (PV = solar power from the panel to the controller) before disconnecting the connection between the controller and battery. The reverse is true, too. Always apply battery power to the controller first, then PV to the controller.

Disconnect switches make this task sequence very easy.

The first reaction may be to ask why GD did not include cutoff switches. It's possible to remove and apply power correctly without switches--it's just harder and more cumbersome to accomplish. I wish GD did include cutoff switches but they don't. I won't speculate on why.

You may note I "x'd" the fuse in the diagram below. IMO a fuse is not required--I'll skip the lengthy explanation (unless you want one).

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch Furrion.JPG
Views:	1147
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	81666

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would choose the sealed over AGM setting. AGM is Absorbed Glass Mat, where sealed just means leak free.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                I would choose the sealed over AGM setting. AGM is Absorbed Glass Mat, where sealed just means leak free.
                I was wondering about that. I think sealed means flooded too. AGM's are also sealed so it is confusing.

Is there information on the charging profiles for each of the available settings in the manual? For my 4-6V CR260 deep cycle set up, Crown recommended a specific profile which I programed in the multiplus and the MPPT controllers. Would be interesting to know if Deka has similar recommendations for thier deep cycle batterys.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ken,
                  The ideal configuration is to have cutoff switches between the panel and controller as well as between the battery and controller (as shown in the Furrion manual). Every controller manual I've read (which is not exhaustive by any means) has required removal of PV (PV = solar power from the panel to the controller) before disconnecting the connection between the controller and battery. The reverse is true, too. Always apply battery power to the controller first, then PV to the controller.

Disconnect switches make this task sequence very easy.

The first reaction may be to ask why GD did not include cutoff switches. It's possible to remove and apply power correctly without switches--it's just harder and more cumbersome to accomplish. I wish GD did include cutoff switches but they don't. I won't speculate on why.

You may note I "x'd" the fuse in the diagram below. IMO a fuse is not required--I'll skip the lengthy explanation (unless you want one).

Name:	switch Furrion.JPG
Views:	1147
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	81666

Howard
                  What size/Continuous AMP rating is needed on the switches? I noticed Blue Sea has 300, 350, and 600 continuous amp versions. We have 1 x 165W Furrion Solar panel, 100/30 Victron MPPT (that's on order to replace the OEM Furrion,) PD9160ALV (60-AMPS) and 206 Ah SOK.

Will be purchasing 3 switches - one on each side of the MPPT per the diagram, and then one master battery disconnect. Thanks!
                  Mike and Rebecca
                  2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                  2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Mike & Rebecca

I suggest the Blue Sea 9003E for your system since it will be below the 48V and 350A rating. Once you go above either spec something else would be required. Note you only need (IMO) to interrupt the positive side of both the battery wiring and the PV-to-controller wiring.

For a (very) lengthy discussion on the topic (and some other viewpoints) see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/4...rge-controller

Name:	Blue Sea.JPG
Views:	992
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	82416
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I used this in between the solar controller and the battery Amazon.com: T Tocas Hi-amp T3 Circuit Protector, 30 Amp Surface-Mount Thermal Circuit Breakers with Manual Reset and Switch Button, 12V- 48V DC, Waterproof (30A) : Automotive

And this between the solar panel and the solar controller Amazon.com: Kohree Battery Disconnect Switch, 12V-48V Battery Isolator Power Cut Off Master Switch Waterproof for RV, ATV, Car, Marine, Boat, AUTO, with 4 Mounting Bolts, 275 Amps, (On/Off) : Automotive

I have the same 100/30 controller as you are getting.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson Howard, Would the 5510e (not the plus) be a better option for breaking both positive and negative leads on the solar panels?
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

howson Howard, Would the 5510e (not the plus) be a better option for breaking both positive and negative leads on the solar panels?
                          I don't know, Joseph. It's made for two separate battery banks, not to separate the negative and positive of one circuit.

Name:	5510e.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	82455
                          Did you check out the "lengthy discussion" linked in post 10? You might find the discussion interesting (there are different opinions on what is required).

Howard

Comment

howson I remember reading that one a while back. The OP posted a double disconnect on the PV. I wonder if Blue Sea would say about using the double pole switch across both the positive and negative for PV disconnects? Could definitely open up a whole new market for them.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

... Would the 5510e (not the plus) be a better option for breaking both positive and negative leads on the solar panels?
                              The 5510e has a max voltage of 32 whereas the 9003e is 48. That might be a bigger factor in selection over the functionality of the switch. On first glance, I don't see why it wouldn't work to disconnect two leads at one time (positive and negative vs two separate circuits).
                              Tim H.
                              2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
                              2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
                              Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
                              Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Comment

Working...
                              X