Solar Power System Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Power System Issue

'22 Reflextion 337rls Solar Power Problem & main battery fails load test.The Solar Power controller battery selection button illuminates the sealed battery light, but no Charge fault indicator. Checked voltage on the PV wires at the controller, nothing. Disconnected wires at the roof top junction box MP4 connection, reads 24 vdc coming out of the solar panel. Disconnected PV wires at the controller & roof junction box, checked continuity. Continuity on positive wire less than .04 ohms, negative wire open, open to ground also. Seems like a break in the negative PV wire between the roof junction box & controller, unless there is a fuse or breaker on the negative side of the PV circuit. Unfortunately it looks like the next step will be to remove the MP4 junction box on the roof (if no fuse exists) and probably some interior ceiling panels. We've owned it for 10 weeks. This is a factory installation issue. Not sure if the Solar System has ever worked.

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you've already done some great trouble-shooting and narrowed it down. I'm attaching a photo of the underside of a Furrion solar port. The wires are attached by a Robert's Drive screw clamp. I'd be really surprised if the problem wasn't isolated to a loose connection on the negative side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion Solar Port.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	81773

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim,
      Thank you I was hoping I could access this from the roof. Looking at the picture you sent, just remove the sealant and 3 screws. I'm heading outside now, ill get back to you.
      Thanks again,
      Bo

Comment

Thanks so much Jim for your help. That was the problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	81780 Do you happen to know the type of sealant this is?

Comment

The grey sealant is butyl tape, the white should be dicor self leveling for the roof.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm so glad it was an easy fix. Brian has listed the correct sealants. If the butyl tape is still pretty tacky, you can probably re-use it. then carefully scrape off the old self leveling and apply new. Just be careful not to cut the roof membrane.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by BetPay103 View Post
              Thanks so much Jim for your help. That was the problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	81780 Do you happen to know the type of sealant this is?
              Is the black wire even there, or do I see a red with a black stripe tied (shorted) to the other red positive wire? So that meant you solar controller had shorted inputs - good thing no power got there.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Comment

Working...
                X