Victron smart shunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron smart shunt

500 AMP. I just installed my inverter system and all works well except something new has started with my shunt. Before the install I had the shunt in the battery box. It is now and was then properly installed/connected. When in the battery box anytime the rig was on shore power the time remaining would read indefinite. Now, there is just dashes. Now when on battery is the only time a get a readout of time remaining.

So what did I change? the shunt now is inline with the negative cable direct from the battery and the positive wire from the shunt is on the positive cable after the shutoff rather than directly to the positive battery cable.

I've tried reading the manual, checking settings but no change. No big deal but I can't help but wonder if something is incorrect so I figured I'd post up here to people that know way more then me.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

I do not know much more than you do but if you could post a pic of the shunt and wiring maybe something will stand out to a "new" set of eyes that you may be overlooking.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	82799
      Attached Files
      TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

As requested. I do have the wire in the correct port for the battery.

Comment

I am thinking that when you moved the positive to the other side of the disconnect switch is the issue, you could move it back and see if it solves the problem. I am not sure why there would be dashes but I have noticed on my non smart shunt model that when I moved the BMV display and returned power to it the display and the phone app were a little different and I needed to "reset" everything. I wonder if they "lose" memory when not hooked to the system. All of my settings were still there but it just did not seem the way it was, it does work as usual now since I have quit moving it around.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

BobinICT -- from the BMV-712's manual

Note:Three dashes ‘---’ will be shown when the BMV is started in unsynchronized state. See section 4.2.1, setting number 70.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              BobinICT -- from the BMV-712's manual

Note:Three dashes ‘---’ will be shown when the BMV is started in unsynchronized state. See section 4.2.1, setting number 70.

Howard
              Thanks but, not seeing section 4.2.1, setting number 70. Only section 4.2 in the manual I have downloaded. Rev 06 06/2021

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post

Thanks but, not seeing section 4.2.1, setting number 70. Only section 4.2 in the manual I have downloaded. Rev 06 06/2021
                Hmmm...that doesn't make sense. I looked through my archives and found a SmartShunt manual. The applicable entry is below. (Manual doesn't have a date in it, but my library shows it was added to my files in Jun 2020.)

Name:	smart shunt.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	82817
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard. I did read that in the manual and tried the synchronizing with the batteries when they were at 100% SOC and no joy. I left the rig off of shore power all night last night with the inverter on to see where I'd be in the morning for remaining power. I've since reestablished shore power and batteries are currently charging. I'll see if that triggers a synchronize and report back.

Comment

Well, still no joy. Very frustrated currently. At one point yesterday while the SOC was not to full voltage, I was able to see time remaining but once fully charged, I still have the dashes now. I've synchronized this thing numerous times. Upsetting.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
                      Well, still no joy. Very frustrated currently. At one point yesterday while the SOC was not to full voltage, I was able to see time remaining but once fully charged, I still have the dashes now. I've synchronized this thing numerous times. Upsetting.
                      Post the settings under BATTERY and MISC. Mine are below as an example (note yours may be different--mine are set based on my setup.)

Also please post complete description of your setup (batteries, etc).

Name:	Screenshot_20220423-152209.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	82984

Name:	Screenshot_20220423-152238.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	82983

Comment

Here you are. On shore power and off. These are the batteries I have installed for over a year now. https://www.vmaxtanks.com/XTR6-235-6...ry-_p_152.html

EDIT: forgot the setting page so here it is.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Why does the screen show a positive 3W in that one picture? Do you have solar? Solar can mess with the synchronized state. From the BMV's manual:

In solar systems or other applications with fluctuating charge currents, the
                            following measures can be taken to reduce the probability for the BMV to
                            reset prematurely to 100% state of charge:
                            a) Increase the “charged” voltage to only slightly below the absorption charge voltage (for
                            example: 14,2V in case of 14,4V absorption voltage).
                            b) Increase the “charged” detection time and/or decrease the tail current to prevent an early
                            reset due to to passing clouds

I changed Tail Current from 4% to 2% based on that entry.

Also, the 13.2 charged voltage setting appears low? Float (according to the battery chart) is 6.8-6.9V. That's 13.6 to 13.8 (since you obviously have two of these in series).

Interesting that your Time-To-Go (TTG) detection time is significantly higher than mine--that should effectively do the same thing as changing the tail current (according to the note) but I've got mine at 3 min and yours is set at 10 min.

Note that with the very low power draw (and if solar is charging the batteries) the SmartShunt may not have enough information to calculate a TTG.

Note the screen shot below shows "---". when previously it read 10D. All I did was disable my Solar Charger (while typing out this reply) and when I re-enabled it the BMV reported "---".

Bottom line--I don't think anything is wrong. You can tweak the settings as I've already mentioned but I think eventually your SmartShunt will report a TTG.

Hope some of this helps...

Name:	Screenshot_20220423-174312.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	83007

Comment

That 3W was on shore power. So, here's what I'm doing now. Battery shutoff to off. No power of any kind going to the rig. Unplugged the shore power plug to make sure. Now have a battery minder set at AGM and 12V, going to leave it overnight. Haven't done that since sometime last year. (SnapOn minder if that means anything) Tomorrow I'll take the minder off and let everything rest for three hours then do a zero as soon as I turn battery shutoff to on. Then I'll attempt to set it up again. Will report then. Thanks again Howard!

Edit to add. No solar installed, yet. But, the controller is installed with no solar input yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X