Solar Pre wire 2670MK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Pre wire 2670MK ?

So my 2670MK is pre wired for solar with that all I need is the solar panel and control box help charge battery?

Originally posted by Blueheeler101 View Post
    So my 2670MK is pre wired for solar with that all I need is the solar panel and control box help charge battery?
    Short answer: yes. The cliche' applies, though--the "devil is in the details". For clarity, a solar controller is what is needed. Check out this thread for more information: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...ller-which-one
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Short answer: yes. The cliche' applies, though--the "devil is in the details". For clarity, a solar controller is what is needed. Check out this thread for more information: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...ller-which-one

Thank you very helpful. I’m not looking to boondock I’m just wanting to help keep batteries topped off while storing at house I might add additional deep cell battery couple of the state parks we’ve thought about going have limited hookups

Comment

Originally posted by Blueheeler101 View Post

Thank you very helpful. I’m not looking to boondock I’m just wanting to help keep batteries topped off while storing at house I might add additional deep cell battery couple of the state parks we’ve thought about going have limited hookups
        Another detail you'll want to investigate is exactly what's on the roof of your 2670MK. Most likely just a small access plate buried under sealant. So in addition to the solar panel you'll need what called an "entry plate" or "solar gland" like the example below. If your panel has MC4 connectors already connected, and the plate is the right kind, you can plug the panel right into the plate. (The plate is screwed to the roof of your RV where the access plate is located and the wires provided by GD are connected to the bottom of the plate.) https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Cable...les-Black.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPower.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	83648

Polarity is critically important. Check, check, and double-check everything is correct before applying battery power to the controller and PV ("solar") to the controller.

Lastly--if you'll permit an opinion--install a shutoff switch between the panel and the controller input (the "PV" side). This allows easy disconnection of the power coming from the solar panel to your controller when you need all power removed from the camper for maintenance or another issue.

Once you get all the parts and pieces selected, feel free to post them here for review. Lots of knowledgeable folks other than yours truly would be happy to give it a once-over to see if there's any "gotchas".

Howard

P.S. Please take a moment, too, to fill out your signature line as mentioned in the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The one question I did not see here is what year is your imagine? I have a 2020 2670mk and it has a solar ready connection by the driver side baggage door, yours may have this connection like mine or a connection on the roof I would want to know for sure its on the roof before cutting into the roof looking. I was told (like above) I would need a panel and a solar charging controller. Polarity is very important, but also the type of panel, wire size, and the power that the panel can put out makes a lot of difference. I found lots of video on u-Tube about setting up solar.
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X