Replacing/repairing Jaboni rooftop port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing/repairing Jaboni rooftop port

My 17MKE has the Jaboni solar port on the roof, with the MC4 connectors for plugging in the panels. Mine got damaged and I think it needs to be replaced, and I am planning to use a different combiner box. Does anyone know what's on the inside of the Jaboni port--in other words, what I will have to connect to after I remove the Jaboni? Unfortunately I don't have access to the trailer at the moment and am trying to get my parts together.
    2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L

Originally posted by dagraf View Post
    My 17MKE has the Jaboni solar port on the roof, with the MC4 connectors for plugging in the panels. Mine got damaged and I think it needs to be replaced, and I am planning to use a different combiner box. Does anyone know what's on the inside of the Jaboni port--in other words, what I will have to connect to after I remove the Jaboni? Unfortunately I don't have access to the trailer at the moment and am trying to get my parts together.
    Most likely just like the Furrion port--underneath there will be a way to connect the wires that run down to the solar controller. Below is a pic of the underside of the Furrion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	port.JPG
Views:	743
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	83990
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Most likely just like the Furrion port--underneath there will be a way to connect the wires that run down to the solar controller. Below is a pic of the underside of the Furrion.
      Thanks for that. Hopefully there's enough slack in the wires so I can get them far enough into the new box to connect to bus bars or terminal blocks or what not. I'll try to remember to report back on what I find after I tear into it.
      2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

The Jaboni port was attached to the roof with butyl tape and several screws, and sealed up with Dicor around the perimeter. The bottom of the port had about 10” of cable coming out the back of the port’s MC4 connectors, and the ends were bullet spliced to the wires that run down to the pass-through.

I tugged on those wires to see if they were loose and might be used in the future to pull some larger cables, but there was no give in them. 😢
        2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

The Jaboni port was attached to the roof with butyl tape and several screws, and sealed up with Dicor around the perimeter. The bottom of the port had about 10” of cable coming out the back of the port’s MC4 connectors, and the ends were bullet spliced to the wires that run down to the pass-through.

I tugged on those wires to see if they were loose and might be used in the future to pull some larger cables, but there was no give in them. 😢
          I've seen how solar wires used to connect to the port are run on a 312BHTS. If that's any indication of the solar runs on all GD trailers I seriously doubt they can be replaced.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I guess what I called a “bullet splice” is actually called a crimped closed-end splice. Wires all insert through the same end of the splice and are then crimped together.
            2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
            X