Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling a 2nd wire to rooftop factory installed solar - Reflection 150 Series 226RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling a 2nd wire to rooftop factory installed solar - Reflection 150 Series 226RK

With the rooftop connection being near the front of this 5th wheel I am hoping that when I switch out to a rooftop junction box I will be able to use the current 10AWG wire to pull a second wire. Has anyone tried this? I am guessing the factory wire goes down the front cap and then under the bedroom floor to get to the front storage area. I just don't know if it is loose enough to pull???

I want to connect the current factory panel to a small Victron controller, add four 200 watt panels connected to a different controller in series / parallel in order to get the best output with partial shading.
    Gary & Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel

Originally posted by SoccerDad View Post
    With the rooftop connection being near the front of this 5th wheel I am hoping that when I switch out to a rooftop junction box I will be able to use the current 10AWG wire to pull a second wire. Has anyone tried this? I am guessing the factory wire goes down the front cap and then under the bedroom floor to get to the front storage area. I just don't know if it is loose enough to pull???

I want to connect the current factory panel to a small Victron controller, add four 200 watt panels connected to a different controller in series / parallel in order to get the best output with partial shading.
    I don't have a 5th wheel, I have a TT. My factory rooftop junction box was campside rear. The MPPT charger was campside front. I used the factory 10 awg wiring (runs through the trusses to the front, down the front end cap into the front storage area) to pull an 8 awg wire to the front storage area. I made it about 1/3 way before it just wouldn't go any further. I tried and re-tried for about 90 minutes until it became clear it wasn't going to happen. So, a new junction box was installed closer to the front and the factory junction box was removed, roof patched.

It's certainly worth giving it a try (it would be very cool if it worked) just have a back up plan.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

SoccerDad -- I looked at multiple builds for this exact reason during the recent visit by the moderators. So I can confidently write..."maybe"...in reply to your query. acoleman43 's advise is spot-on.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        SoccerDad -- I looked at multiple builds for this exact reason during the recent visit by the moderators. So I can confidently write..."maybe"...in reply to your query. acoleman43 's advise is spot-on.
        howson and acoleman43 - I really appreciate the "maybe" input/reply, which is better than "no", but I am still hoping someone will reply with something more concrete.
        Gary & Judy

Comment

Not sure if this thread will help or not but this is what I did. My unit was not prewired for solar so I did not have many choices.

Solar Install, Reflection 29RS Fifth Wheel - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

SoccerDad I was looking at this with Howard during our recent trip to the factory. I specifically remember looking at the 337 assembly line, they ran the solar wires as you described down the front cap, and we asked whether they were stapled or if new wire could be pulled through. Our guide stated they were attached with zip ties that were kept loose so it might be possible, but as we went down the line and checked them we saw all the zip ties tight, and I believe there were other cables running through them as well and it was all twisted together. I've pulled a lot of wire in my life, both personally and professionally and I would a low level of confidence that it would be successful.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              SoccerDad I was looking at this with Howard during our recent trip to the factory. I specifically remember looking at the 337 assembly line, they ran the solar wires as you described down the front cap, and we asked whether they were stapled or if new wire could be pulled through. Our guide stated they were attached with zip ties that were kept loose so it might be possible, but as we went down the line and checked them we saw all the zip ties tight, and I believe there were other cables running through them as well and it was all twisted together. I've pulled a lot of wire in my life, both personally and professionally and I would a low level of confidence that it would be successful.
              ncitro - Thank you for that information. Of course that is not what I wanted to hear :(. When I open up the hole in the ceiling and give it a try I will not have much hope. My backup plan will be to go from the basement up through the bedside storage into the attic where hopefully I will be close enough to the existing rooftop hole. I might wait until the National Rally where I might be able to get a suggestion from Grand Design.
              Gary & Judy

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDad View Post

ncitro - Thank you for that information. Of course that is not what I wanted to hear :(. When I open up the hole in the ceiling and give it a try I will not have much hope. My backup plan will be to go from the basement up through the bedside storage into the attic where hopefully I will be close enough to the existing rooftop hole. I might wait until the National Rally where I might be able to get a suggestion from Grand Design.
                Yeah mine was before solar prep so I needed to do it all from scratch. I was able to open up the back of the cabinet in my hutch so I had good access to the wall, then I punched a small hole up through the roof. From there I opened up the hole for my junction box (I used the AM Solar combiner box) and sealed it to the roof with sealant. Once in that wall it was a straight shot down to the area behind the false wall in the pass through and I ran the cables forward to my front bay.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                X