Solar Charge Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charge Controller

I recently added an additional solar panel and now have 4 190 watt panels. I have wired them in series/parallel to a Victron 100/50 MPPT controller. My trailer has been in storage the last couple of weeks and has good sun exposure. A couple of days ago I pulled up the app for the controller, sun high overhead, and was showing 0 watts. I pulled up the history and the last few days only got to 58 watts. In the past couple of weeks the max wattage hit 270 but nothing higher. Is this normal? The batteries, 3 100ah BB, were showing fully charged and in a float stage. Does the controller stop showing wattage once the batteries are fully charged? I don't recall ever seeing the status at 0 watts on a sunny day. I've included a couple of screenshots from the controller app for reference. Thanks in advance for your comments.
    2120 Imagine 2670MK
    2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

scdock That's normal. Once the batteries are fully charged they can't take any more, and the solar controller has no where to send the power so none registers.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

It's absolutely normal operation. It indicates your batteries are fully charged and holding the charge too.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Jim and Neil. One other question, with a potential wattage of 780, would I only see a max wattage over a period of a few weeks 270 max due to the current SOC of the batteries?
        2120 Imagine 2670MK
        2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by scdock View Post
          Thanks for the feedback Jim and Neil. One other question, with a potential wattage of 780, would I only see a max wattage over a period of a few weeks 270 max due to the current SOC of the batteries?
          That's right.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by scdock View Post
            It's interesting to note the current readings vs. battery SOC. When I'm camping in Quartzsite AZ in February, the sun is low on the horizon for most of the day. Even so, my LiFePO4 batteries are at about 60% SOC and my 800 watt solar array will provide about 520 watts max at about 11 am.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If there is a draw from the batteries while there is power from the solar panels it will go straight to the item requiring power, no draw no power being used so no current flow. Is this correct TucsonJim ncitro

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Neil.

Jim....Interesting read on SoC vs charge wattage. 580 watts with a low horizon is pretty darn good. I have a curved roof with 2 panels on each side and, depending on how I'm parked, only 2 panels may be getting good exposure, which is why I went with a serial/parallel connection setup.
                2120 Imagine 2670MK
                2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  If there is a draw from the batteries while there is power from the solar panels it will go straight to the item requiring power, no draw no power being used so no current flow. Is this correct TucsonJim ncitro

Brian
                  Thats exactly right Brian.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                  X