Solar Panel Not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel Not charging

HI, We are Brand new owners - Literally did our walk through and picked it up today. So definitely new to it and know nothing but what they told us at the walk through. While we were there, they had it plugged in and showed us everything. Even under cover we were able to see that the meter for the solar panel was actively charging. We got it home, backed it in, set it up and tried to turn on the A/C. Nothing..... Went out and saw that it shows that the solar panel is NOT charging, just draining. The battery disconnect is on, The solar charge controller shows a blinking green power light and I think "Sealed" was also lit up as amber. I'm already at a loss as to what to do or how to check anything and of course the service center is closed for today.
    Overall not a great start, yes we did the walk through but when we got home a door had fallen off the track (even though it was in it's secured locked position, half the blinds don't actually stay down and one of the stabilizer jacks was damaged. Yikes. Add not being able to use the A/C or figure out why the solar panels aren't charging in definite direct sunlight, I'm not a happy camper yet.
    If it's important, it's a 2600RB 2022.
    Last edited by SarahW; 07-20-2022, 08:39 PM.

Hi Sarah,

The air conditioner will typically not run on solar/battery power. You need to be plugged into shore power for AC.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by SarahW View Post
      HI, We are Brand new owners - Literally did our walk through and picked it up today. So definitely new to it and know nothing but what they told us at the walk through. While we were there, they had it plugged in and showed us everything. Even under cover we were able to see that the meter for the solar panel was actively charging. We got it home, backed it in, set it up and tried to turn on the A/C. Nothing..... Went out and saw that it shows that the solar panel is NOT charging, just draining. The battery disconnect is on, The solar charge controller shows a blinking green power light and I think "Sealed" was also lit up as amber. I'm already at a loss as to what to do or how to check anything and of course the service center is closed for today.
      Overall not a great start, yes we did the walk through but when we got home a door had fallen off the track (even though it was in it's secured locked position, half the blinds don't actually stay down and one of the stabilizer jacks was damaged. Yikes. Add not being able to use the A/C or figure out why the solar panels aren't charging in definite direct sunlight, I'm not a happy camper yet.
      If it's important, it's a 2600RB 2022.
      Welcome to the forum and sorry for your first troubles. First the Solar will not run the AC, It 12v only you need shore power (120V plugged in) or a big inverter and large battery bank which I doubt you have. I am sure the better experts will be along. Hope this helps a bit
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

So I think for the most part it's just an idiot's learning curve. I did see that eventually the panel showed as it was charging. But only for about 2 minutes that I actually saw it charging. So I'm going to guess it only charges when needed. There is literally no book for dummies in my pile of manuals and google wasn't giving much help. Had no clue you couldn't "dry" camp with the A/C.... So appreciate that insight... We have power run to be able to plug it in we just need the electrician to add the correct outlet.

Comment

So does the furnace/fan run when dry camping on solar? It says 12volt and gas to run but nothing happens there either....

Comment

So I think for the most part it's just an idiot's learning curve. I did see that eventually the panel showed as it was charging. But only for about 2 minutes that I actually saw it charging. So I'm going to guess it only charges when needed. There is literally no book for dummies in my pile of manuals and google wasn't giving much help. Had no clue you couldn't "dry" camp with the A/C.... So appreciate that insight... We have power run to be able to plug it in we just need the electrician to add the correct outlet.
            Hey Sarah welcome to the new owner disappointment club

I don't think there's been a single trailer that has been problem free. It's part of the new ownership process. In other words you are not alone

When our trailer is parked we have it connected to our 120V (or 115V, same thing) outlet from our house. It will run one AC and not much else, but it works when packing and unpacking.

As far as dry camping, the air conditioner, microwave and outlets will probably not work unless plugged into shore power.

The Solar charge controller will charge the battery (or batteries if you have more than one). If the battery is fully charged, it will typically go into a "float" mode meaning it will just keep the battery topped off.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that have been a tremendous help to me. Don't be afraid to ask any question.

Happy travels! I hope you really enjoy your trailer!
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

So does the furnace/fan run when dry camping on solar? It says 12volt and gas to run but nothing happens there either....
              Yes the furnace and hot water heater should run off of propane and 12V. Did the dealer purge the lines? The first start up may be a bit slow as air needs to be purged. First check that you propane is turned on. Open the valves slowly (if opened to quickly a safety device will restrict flow) and double check the regulator as to which tank you are drawing from, There should be a handle on top of the regulator. It should be fully right tot left to point to a specific tank. You should see a green window on the regulator if there is propane - this is assuming your dealer filled the tanks. First does your stove light?

Now usually the furnace and HWH are close to each other. I would try to fire the HWH first. (be sure it is full of water) Assuming you have checked for propane turn the gas HWH switch on. You should hear clicking as it cycled through the ignition. It may take a few minutes to light. Did your dealer walk you through this? Once it fires it will howl like a jet engine for a few minutes as it purges air out. Once the noise settles down you should have good propane to the furnace too.

Now as to the furnace the first start up can be a bit tricky and smelly. II the paperwork GD sent you there should be a furnace manual. Read it fully. First you need to set the thermostat to heat and set the temperature to above the current conditions. Otherwise it will do nothing. Try a setting of 80. Again you should hear clicking as the burned try's to ignite. The fan usually comes on first before the actual heat starts. Again the thermostat needs to be above the current temperature. In some cases the AC fan my come on too to help with circulation, but not always.

Assuming the furnace starts you may smell like something it burning - It is important to have the windows open. This should go away after a while..

Given you issues I would call your dealer and see if they can send someone out to walk this through with you, or drive back to then and have them go through the PDI again and make sure you know how to start everything

Safe travels
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yes the furnace and hot water heater should run off of propane and 12V. Did the dealer purge the lines? The first start up may be a bit slow as air needs to be purged. First check that you propane is turned on. Open the valves slowly (if opened to quickly a safety device will restrict flow) and double check the regulator as to which tank you are drawing from, There should be a handle on top of the regulator. It should be fully right tot left to point to a specific tank. You should see a green window on the regulator if there is propane - this is assuming your dealer filled the tanks. First does your stove light?

Now usually the furnace and HWH are close to each other. I would try to fire the HWH first. (be sure it is full of water) Assuming you have checked for propane turn the gas HWH switch on. You should hear clicking as it cycled through the ignition. It may take a few minutes to light. Did your dealer walk you through this? Once it fires it will howl like a jet engine for a few minutes as it purges air out. Once the noise settles down you should have good propane to the furnace too.

Now as to the furnace the first start up can be a bit tricky and smelly. II the paperwork GD sent you there should be a furnace manual. Read it fully. First you need to set the thermostat to heat and set the temperature to above the current conditions. Otherwise it will do nothing. Try a setting of 80. Again you should hear clicking as the burned try's to ignite. The fan usually comes on first before the actual heat starts. Again the thermostat needs to be above the current temperature. In some cases the AC fan my come on too to help with circulation, but not always.

Assuming the furnace starts you may smell like something it burning - It is important to have the windows open. This should go away after a while..

Given you issues I would call your dealer and see if they can send someone out to walk this through with you, or drive back to then and have them go through the PDI again and make sure you know how to start everything

Safe travels
                Keith
                Hi- thank you Keith. Yes. He walked us thru this and ran furnace, fan nd a/c. But everything was plugged in. He didn't show us anything when unplugged. They should call me this morning. I thought our walk thru was informative but apparently not. We've owned an rv before but never had solar. Had a generator. So this is very different! 😀

Comment

SarahW Think of the solar as just a battery charger. The systems work the same as your old RV. They are either 12v or 120v. Don't let the solar make it more complicated than it is, nothing really runs off of solar, it's just another way (in addition to your truck, or the converter via shore power or generator).

It's can be a lot to take in. Lots of experience here with the solar and power systems. Probably more than you'll find at your dealer unfortunately lol, so feel free to ask anything you think of.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks everyone. Keiths tip of lighting the water heater first worked. I went out this morning and did that (after refilling the water) and then the furnace lit just like it was supposed to.

Wish they would have told us what to expect for setting it up dry the first time!

Neil - yes, I do understand it charges the batteries. so not running the a/c on it now makes sense. I had high hopes for the poor battery I suppose. But was very frustrated about the furnace as I knew that should have worked. So the tip of lighting water heater first seemed to do the trick!

All is good! Now just the usual expected minor annoyances of the curtains and the door. Lol!! The door my husband can fix. The blinds not staying down may need replaced.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Keiths tip of lighting the water heater first worked. I went out this morning and did that (after refilling the water) and then the furnace lit just like it was supposed to.

Wish they would have told us what to expect for setting it up dry the first time!

Neil - yes, I do understand it charges the batteries. so not running the a/c on it now makes sense. I had high hopes for the poor battery I suppose. But was very frustrated about the furnace as I knew that should have worked. So the tip of lighting water heater first seemed to do the trick!

All is good! Now just the usual expected minor annoyances of the curtains and the door. Lol!! The door my husband can fix. The blinds not staying down may need replaced.
                      Do you have blinds (as in mini blinds) or shades (cloth ) mine are cloth shades that roll up and down on a roller. they need to be pulled down so they catch to stay down, sometimes I have to pull down an inch or two a couple of times till the mechanism catches and then they will stay where I put them.
                      Ray
                      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/Cummins 6.7L Diesel
                      2022 GD Reflection 150 series 260RD
                      https://gdrvowners.com/core/images/smilies//waving.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X