Sub Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Panel

Just a question for everyone to find out why you would use a sub panel in a solar wiring install instead of just powering entire main panel and just use only circuits for inverter only?

There are a couple of reasons.

If you're powering the main panel, then you need to run a separate panel, relay, transfer switch or alternate method of powering the converter. You can't run the converter at the same time as the inverter. So there needs to be separation of the two circuits.

By just powering the outlets, folks won't have an issue with overloading the inverter if they accidentally leave the AC on or turn it on while on inverter power.

There are certainly other ways to accomplish the end result, but this method is efficient and pretty automatic. It makes it pretty fool proof for the owner who doesn't understand the intricacies of RV electrical systems.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Im wired through an ATS. Shore power and inverter. I have my converter wired on the the shore power side and fused. I’m running through a 50 amp ATS. My inverter is 3000 watts. I installed a jumper to connect L1 and L2 to feed both sides of my panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamping4two View Post
        Im wired through an ATS. Shore power and inverter. I have my converter wired on the the shore power side and fused. I’m running through a 50 amp ATS. My inverter is 3000 watts. I installed a jumper to connect L1 and L2 to feed both sides of my panel.
        That is almost exactly what I did with mine. I'm using a manual switch instead of an automatic version. But the same jumper. And I modified my main panel to allow for a 15amp converter in and converter out breaker that only runs on shore power.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If the inverter is what is commonly referred to as a hybrid inverter a sub panel often times is the simplest approach.

A hybrid inverter acts as a transfer switch using shore power when available, battery power when there is no shore power, and may be configured to use a combination of shore and battery power (more on this at the end).

The downside to many of the hybrid systems is they only handle one of the two 50 amp legs of the 50 amp service in an RV. If hybrid inverter can handle both legs of the 50 amp service there is no need for a sub panel. Install the inverter between the transfer switch if there is one and the breaker panel, easy. If the hybrid inverter can only handle one leg the typical installation involves running a circuit from the breaker box to the inverter, and a line from the inverter to sub panel and finally moving the circuits to be powered by the inverter to the sub panel.

One of the more interesting things about a hybrid inverter is the ability to run on a combination of shore and battery power. When operating in this mode the inverter will draw from the batteries once the shore power load reaches a pre set limit. Example: you have the RV at home, you’ve ran an extension cord to the RV. Rather than pop a breaker in the house or garage every time you try to run the microwave and coffee maker at the same time, you can configure the inverter to make up any current needs from the batteries over X amps.

Colan Arnold
          2016 Momentum 397TH
          Full time since 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

That is almost exactly what I did with mine. I'm using a manual switch instead of an automatic version. But the same jumper. And I modified my main panel to allow for a 15amp converter in and converter out breaker that only runs on shore power.

Jim
            Reason I ask is I didn’t know if installing a sub panel would help with an issue I’m having with my microwave. It trips the GFCI in the inverter. My batteries are fully charged and the manufacture has no idea why this is happening. I’m thinking a sub panel with microwave, outlets, and tv isolated from main panel might cure this issue. I do have a few more things to try in the spring however. I’m very stumped on this. No one else has this issue that I know of. My microwave is a 3000 watt as well.

Comment

Working...
            X