“Drop in” lifepo4 100Ah battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Two 78 aH AGM batteries will provide about 94 AH of useable power if discharged 60% of their capacity. They weigh approximately 55.1 pounds for a total of 110.2 pounds.
    One 100aH LiFePO4 battery will yield approximately 99-100 aH of power and weigh about 29 pounds.

So you'd be able to get about 6 more amp hours of power and save 81 pounds. The typical LifePO4 100 aH battery will be about the same size as a group 27 battery, so you'd need a little larger battery box if yours will only fit a group 24.

As for the converter. The WFCO 8955PEC can be easily modified in 10-15 minutes by purchasing a WFCO 8955-AD-MBA board to replace the main board in your power center. The change Installs easily with only two screws, three AC wires, and two DC wires. The AD stands for Auto Detect, and can automatically determine whether you're connected to a lead acid (AGM) battery or lithium. Here's a link to the AD board on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-8955-...19080606&psc=1

According to WFCO, the AD board can be installed in any 8955 power center. I have not done this change myself, so I have no experience doing so.

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    i have a 2023 solitude 391DL with solar. My dealer installed one lead acid deep cycle battery before delivery. I have subsequently deleted the lead acid battery and replaced with 2x LiFePO4 12V (nominal) in parallel. I was able to read the manual on the solar charger and change it to the Lithium setting. However, I’m not quite sure what is charging the batteries when on shore power/generator.

Do you happen to know if my unit would have been factory fitted with the updated controller you mention above, or how I would determine what I have.

Another question: is it possible to recalibrate the battery charge level indicator on the control panel?

And finally, is there a remote way to turn on/off the installed inverter from inside the coach?

Much thanks.
    Patrick Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      If you boondock, buy a generator. The most important accessory.

Jim
      X2 on that one Jim
      USN Engineer Retired
      2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
      2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by pat.sharp View Post

Hi Jim,
        i have a 2023 solitude 391DL with solar. My dealer installed one lead acid deep cycle battery before delivery. I have subsequently deleted the lead acid battery and replaced with 2x LiFePO4 12V (nominal) in parallel. I was able to read the manual on the solar charger and change it to the Lithium setting. However, I’m not quite sure what is charging the batteries when on shore power/generator.

Do you happen to know if my unit would have been factory fitted with the updated controller you mention above, or how I would determine what I have.

Another question: is it possible to recalibrate the battery charge level indicator on the control panel?

And finally, is there a remote way to turn on/off the installed inverter from inside the coach?

Much thanks.
        Patrick Sharp
        Good morning Patrick.

According to the GDRV Parts website, your 2023 391DL is equipped with the WFCO WF-9855-AD Converter. The "AD" on this converter shows it has an "Auto Detect" feature that allows it to automatically select the correct charging profile for your new batteries. So no changes should be needed there. Here is a link to the WFCO page with all the pertinent info on your converter:

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...erter-charger/

I'm not sure if the battery voltage can be reprogrammed. What panel do you use to monitor it? Is it displayed on the One Control touch panel?

And finally, I'm not up to speed on the latest inverter technology. And I don't see the info in the owner's manual. The moderators are heading back to the factory for some tech training in May, and I'll ask the question then. But in the mean time, you can try contacting GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 to see if they can answer the questions.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Good morning Patrick.

According to the GDRV Parts website, your 2023 391DL is equipped with the WFCO WF-9855-AD Converter. The "AD" on this converter shows it has an "Auto Detect" feature that allows it to automatically select the correct charging profile for your new batteries. So no changes should be needed there. Here is a link to the WFCO page with all the pertinent info on your converter:

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...erter-charger/

I'm not sure if the battery voltage can be reprogrammed. What panel do you use to monitor it? Is it displayed on the One Control touch panel?

And finally, I'm not up to speed on the latest inverter technology. And I don't see the info in the owner's manual. The moderators are heading back to the factory for some tech training in May, and I'll ask the question then. But in the mean time, you can try contacting GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 to see if they can answer the questions.

Jim
          Thanks Jim, that's exactly what I wanted to know about the converter/charger.

Regarding the monitor, I'm referring to the control panel that also has the tank level indicators, slide controls, etc.

I'll do some more investigation on remotely turning on/off the inverter.

Thanks so much!

Kind Regards,
          Patrick

Comment

pat.sharp

There should be a switch located near the power panel that will turn on/off the inverter.

Also if you have the Furrion battery monitor, round gage, you can set it for your new battery bank.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Question here taking this drop in replacement 1 step further. My 2021 337rls has the progressive dynamics 9260c. I'm thinking change that out to the pd9160alv that has the multi stage charging for the lifePO4 batteries.

Ok now the question... What about alternator trying to charge the batteries while in tow? Do I need to put a disconnect in line between the alternator and I am assuming the converter? I now realize I don't know that path between the alternator and batteries. I don't want to kill the alternator.

I have an outline in my mind if where I want to get to power wise and this is the 1st step.

Thanks for assistance.
              SATA Adventurers
              Steve and Tina
              2021 Reflection 337RLS
              2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by SATA Adventures View Post
                Question here taking this drop in replacement 1 step further. My 2021 337rls has the progressive dynamics 9260c. I'm thinking change that out to the pd9160alv that has the multi stage charging for the lifePO4 batteries.

Ok now the question... What about alternator trying to charge the batteries while in tow? Do I need to put a disconnect in line between the alternator and I am assuming the converter? I now realize I don't know that path between the alternator and batteries. I don't want to kill the alternator.

I have an outline in my mind if where I want to get to power wise and this is the 1st step.

Thanks for assistance.
                Many of us have added a DC-DC Charger setup.

Yoda's thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...harger-project
                My thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Do a search for DC-DC Charger or Renogy restricted to this site and you'll find even more to read. There are DC-DC Charger mods listed in the Modifications spreadsheet, too, by Guest and Country Campers .

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

SATA Adventures

Not sure what Lithium battery you are thinking about installing but the Powermax converter/charger PowerMax Converters - Battery Chargers Power Supplies Inverters Generators​ are a good option, I have used the 100 amp version which I have replaced with the Multiplus 2 when that was installed and it worked fine and was cheaper than Progressive. As far as the DC-DC I am skeptical about the need for that in relation to the tow vehicle alternator, but I did take that step for peace of mind.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Steve it should not be a problem as most alternators are protected and have an output limit. My new Ford has that protection built in to the trailer charge circuit, However check with your dealer on your older Chevy. The max you will probably see through the stock wiring is about 10A or less. Even with my DC-DC charger I left the stock wiring alone.

Keith
                    Last edited by howson; 02-05-2023, 12:35 PM.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Normally the alternator will not be harmed. The charge profile and voltage levels that are generated through the alternator are not optimized for a lithium battery.. But there is one caveat. Do not sit with the engine running with the alternator under heavy load as the cooling that comes primarily while in motion will not be there. Once a load is put on the alternator that is strong enough to discharge the TV battery, the system will begin to utilize load shedding. This is where secondary systems in the vehicle will be shut down. Items such as heated seats, massaging seats, and other systems.
                      The concern in applying heavy unknown loads at idle is with the rectifier bridge and the diodes that are located there from overheating. Smart alternators are calibrated with certain limits but no alternator is calibrated to handle unknown loads from add on components since the possibilities would be limitless. The alternators function is to provide the makeup charge from starting and to provide power for TV related electrical loads.

Jim

Comment

What I have found that works for us is, 4 105 ahr Lion Energy battery's, installed a Li converter but have it turned off on the breaker panel, we have a 2800 watt inverter with a 100 amp charger set up for Li and with both L1 and L2 connect it gives us about 130 amp of charge. We have a 20 amp dc/dc converter to help the battery's charger from the truck without hurting the truck. there is 300 amp of factory solar on the roof, we can make 3-4 days of boondocking without the generator depending of course how much coffee I drink and what we use the microwave for, everything in the RV but A/C's and fireplace will run on the inverter, generator auto-start is set to 11.5 vdc and to run for 3 hours, with charge rate we are back to full charge. I know most don't go to this instream, but we want off grid/boondock without worry
                        2020 Momentum 397 THR, 8K axles, 17.5 Coopers, 300w solar, upgraded 2800/100 inverter/charger, LiPo4 battery's Lion Energy U1300 Ceramic Coated Pepwave router
                        2019 F450 Lariat Air Bags 90 gals aux Fuel, Ceramic Coated
                        Full Time RV Liven the retired life
                        It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere

Comment

Working...
                        X