Solar panel mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panel mounting?

I am currently installing 6 100 watt Renogy solar panels on my 2020 303 rls. I quickly found that the screws that come with the mounting brackets will not work in my roof. I tried to find rafters on 16in oc but nothing lined up. I’m thinking that I will need to use well nuts to secure them. My questions are what is the thickness of the of the roof sheathing and what size we’ll nuts to use? Are there other options? I have already started to use the screws but can’t continue with that. Any suggestions on the mounting of my panels would really help. I am currently renting a shop to do this install and need to finish this ASAP.

You don't need to find rafters or use well nuts, just run 3/4" screws straight through the bracket and rubber roof into the plywood sheeting obviously taking proper precautions for water proofing. I covered the mount bases and screws with self-leveling roofing caulk, Thousands of miles towing in all conditions without problems.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
      You don't need to find rafters or use well nuts, just run 3/4" screws straight through the bracket and rubber roof into the plywood sheeting obviously taking proper precautions for water proofing. I covered the mount bases and screws with self-leveling roofing caulk, Thousands of miles towing in all conditions without problems.
      I've taken some heat for this, but the thought of a flying solar panel escaping my RV at 65 MPH really concerns me. So much so, that I found the rafters and embedded eye-hooks and cabled those to each of the solar panels. Probably not needed, but gives me peace of mind. . .
      Attached Files
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

The roof sheathing is 3/8" OSB. Most owners, including myself use a screw that penetrates a minimum of 1/2" into the OSB. Then as Poppy states, seal the area with self leveling sealant. There is no need to hit a rafter.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          The roof sheathing is 3/8" OSB. Most owners, including myself use a screw that penetrates a minimum of 1/2" into the OSB. Then as Poppy states, seal the area with self leveling sealant. There is no need to hit a rafter.

Jim
          Is the sheathing 3/8" or 3/4", because you can't penetrate 1/2" into 3/8" OSB unless you're at a significant angle.
          Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
          2021 Solitude 390RK-R
          2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Livin' the Dream View Post

Is the sheathing 3/8" or 3/4", because you can't penetrate 1/2" into 3/8" OSB unless you're at a significant angle.
            The roof sheathing is 3/8". You have to also consider the thickness of the bracket. The sheathing sits on wooden trusses with nothing in 1 1/2" directly under the sheathing. I would be inclined to use screws that extend through the sheathing by a little bit. The best holding will be by the threads on the straight shank of the screw. The partial threads on the tapered tip of the screw will not hold as well.

Just my "2 cents worth"

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Livin' the Dream View Post

Just to clarify - I try to shoot for some over-penetration on the OSB. As Rob states, there is nothing directly under the sheathing, so over-penetration will not damage anything.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Jim
                Checking... is the answer "the roof sheathing is 3/8" OSB applicable to all Grand Design trailers or only the trailer the original poster was asking about? My trailer on order is a Momentum 397TH. 3/8"? thanks...
                My trailer: Grand Design Momentum 397TH with many small modifications and a fairly large (1700W panels, 10KW batteries) DIY solar install.

My truck: 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel, Aisin 6-speed, 4.10 axle, Patriot Blue Pearlcoat, Longhorn L1, Towing Tech, Max tow, Towing prep, 30K 5th wheel, Cold Weather pkg, Safety group, Body color bumpers, Tow hooks, Auto level, 50 gal fuel, Bed step, Side steps, Sunroof, Aux switches, Air Horn, TruXedo Sentry bed cover

Comment

Originally posted by Sckarolek View Post

Checking... is the answer "the roof sheathing is 3/8" OSB applicable to all Grand Design trailers or only the trailer the original poster was asking about? My trailer on order is a Momentum 397TH. 3/8"? thanks...
                  This was true for all models when the moderators were at the factory about a year ago. And I have not heard about any changes since then. The moderators have a Zoom meeting with GDRV next Tuesday and we'll add your question to the agenda.

In the mean time, GDRV-Megan Can you answer the question about the roofing material. Are all models still equipped with the 3/8" material?

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

This was true for all models when the moderators were at the factory about a year ago. And I have not heard about any changes since then. The moderators have a Zoom meeting with GDRV next Tuesday and we'll add your question to the agenda.

In the mean time, GDRV-Megan Can you answer the question about the roofing material. Are all models still equipped with the 3/8" material?

Jim
                    Yes, all of our units' roofs are equipped with 3/8" marine grade decking.

Comment

Is there a good technique to find where the roof trusses are located? A normal stud finder does not work with 3/8” OSB.

I am using SuperStrut attached to the room with 3/8” Stainless lag bolts - pre-drilling pilot holes, then filing with Alpha self leveling 1021 lap sealant, then covering screws with lap sealant as well.

I have yet to hit a rafter/roof truss. I have a 2021 S-2930RL.
                      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Photo of solar SuperStrut
                        Attached Files
                        2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                        1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                        2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

steve&renee I saw that pic of your securing system last night after watching a video posted on YouTube where the guy lost 3 panels bolted together that flew through the air after departing his rig. I think your solution is excellent, well thought out. Bravo!
                          Last edited by howson; 11-25-2020, 07:20 AM. Reason: Fixed tag.
                          Pete and Dana
                          2020 GD 2400BH
                          2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 6.2L Gasser
                          Full-Time as of 4/30/21

Comment

I know this thread is old, but I had a new question. Should I put butyl mastic on the mounting pad feet before screwing to the roof. I have some material left over from my bowed awing repair. Or put some self leveling sealant under the pad before screwing down? I was also thinking of running the screws in lightly, then backing them out and filling the screw hole with Gorilla glue and then reinserting. The glue will act like lock tite. Thoughts?

Thanks
                            Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Butyl tape is a great way to seal the solar feet. Put some self leveling sealant over the screws and you will be good to go!
                              Hope this helps,
                              Brian
                              2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
                              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X