powering my entire 303rls rig through my Victron Multiplus -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RTRDoug View Post
    303RLS Electrical Mods I am a 303rls owner looking to add a good solar package. I have a 2020 303, which has basic solar prep only. I installed a good system in my old rv and did insert inverter directly into the incoming shore power feed with good results. I am looking to have a fairly robust system and will be installing the Victron multiplus. and power the entire rig. I will be running 800 watts of panel and 2-200AH AH lithium batteries to start. I was wondering if you know where the best place to split and intercept the incoming shore power ? .- would you know where the best place to access this is. Thanks
    Doug​
    Doug - what I have is a 30A service but will work for a 50. If the factory power service from the outside plug to the distribution panel is long enough you can just remove from the distribution panel and take it to the multiplus input, and the run a new wire from the multiplus output to the distribution panel. That's it. I use an external protection device. If you have an internal device take the output from that to the multiplus and then from the multiplus to the factory distribution panel

Now I am guessing you have a 50A service so you will need a multiplus II that can feed both legs. Wiring is the same. Now if the power cord is not long enough as was in my case, remove the outside plug, and tape a new wire to the existing and pull it in to where you can get to it and continue your wiring to the multiplus II. Be very careful removing the wires from the factory plug. It can be easily broken if they over tightened them from the factory.

Hope this helps.

BTW if your worried that the multiplus might fail and you need your stock power back, you can just remove the feed and output wires from the multiplus and tie then together (keep some large wire nuts handy), if you do that remember to kill the 12v feed connection too. Unfortunately you will also loose the Battery charge function too as you must disconnect the factory converter when you install the multiplus. I disconnected mine and left it in place so I could wire it back in if ever needed. You should have an inline 12V disconnect switch on the main battery power feed to the multiplus anyway.

As to access the wiring at the distribution panel, remove the cover and the remove the screws attaching the panel to the wall. There should be enough slack to pull the panel out to access the back. My multiplus install thread might give you some ideas. There are several other documented installs here too.

Hope this helps and I am thinking correctly.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda thanks for all the info - I am feeling a lot better about this. Yes I have 50 amp service so will be using the Multiplus II 2x120 to power both legs!
      thanks again
      Doug
      Doug and Andrea
      2020 303RLS
      2015 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

BTW if your worried that the multiplus might fail and you need your stock power back, you can just remove the feed and output wires from the multiplus and tie then together (keep some large wire nuts handy), if you do that remember to kill the 12v feed connection too. Unfortunately you will also loose the Battery charge function too as you must disconnect the factory converter when you install the multiplus. I disconnected mine and left it in place so I could wire it back in if ever needed. You should have an inline 12V disconnect switch on the main battery power feed to the multiplus anyway.
        When I wasn't quite finished with my install, and my wife told me we were going camping....that's exactly what I did. Just tied the AC input/output to/from Multiplus and plugged into shore power. I hadn't removed the converter/charger yet so it all worked out. Once we returned it was easy to just re-install the AC wires back into the multiplus
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Doug - I too installed my multiplus II in my front bay. And like others, I kept my EMS - just extra insurance and since I had already installed it in the rig - no worries! My wiring runs from EMS across ceiling to front bay and then the pass thru back to the AC distribution panel.
          Mark & Julie
          2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

Welcome! I completed my Victron multiplus install last year. It really is a fantastic solution. An EMS is fine if you already have one already but you don't need to get one if you have a Multiplus. The Multi has user settings for low voltage disconnect, low voltage connect, high voltage disconnect, and high voltage connect. What you do need is something to ensure correct campsite wiring and a surge protector. I got the Hughes Power watchdog.

If an issue occurs with the multiplus, my solution is to bypass it with a switch. I uses this switch with this box. Below is what that looks like in my rig with switch at lower left. Wiring to the breaker panel comes either directly from shore (bypassing the multi entirely) or from the multiplus inverter. Note the shore power is routed to the junction and the Victron multiplus and that the Victron will pass through this shore power to the junction box if available (i.e. inverter and battery power are not used) and if switch position is in the inverter position.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1252'.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	100063

BTW, you can also see on the right that I'm using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 Charge Controller (connected to 700W of solar arrays) and that it too controlled by a switch. In this case the switch selects solar power to the controller, disconnects the solar array entirely, or routes the solar power to my home solar system. I haven't completed the home tie-in yet but the plan is to utilize the trailer solar power for home use while it is sitting in storage.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TravelHabit; 11-22-2022, 11:56 AM.
            Earl
            2022 Imagine 22RBE
            2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
            Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

TravelHabit -- that bypass switch is a good idea. While the failure rate of the Victron equipment must be fairly low (I can't remember reading about one that wasn't the users fault) it still would be nice to have a built-in bypass should powering down the Multiplus while retaining AC voltage in the camper become a necessity.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TravelHabit Are you running jumpers on the rotary switch? I.E. 1-3 and 5-7 so the destination changes but the source does not?
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for the info. It is just awesome to see everyone banding together on all things Grand Design. I have received a ton of great ideas and processes! It will make my planning a lot easier and gives me a ton of confidence when I start installing.
                  thanks
                  Doug
                  Doug and Andrea
                  2020 303RLS
                  2015 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    TravelHabit Are you running jumpers on the rotary switch? I.E. 1-3 and 5-7 so the destination changes but the source does not?
                    Yes I am, I forgot to mention that. I don't recall the exact configuration of the jumpers but basically its configured to act as a A/B selector for destination C. That is, either A routes to C or B routes to C. howson I debated whether I should even do this as I agree the Victrons are very robust. However I'm finding it is sometimes useful to be able to disconnect the Victron when working on the system. The same goes for the ability to easily disconnect the solar array. It's been more than once that I thought I disconnected all DC (rotating the big red switch in lower right of picture) only to find that I apparently hadn't. Turns out the solar was still providing power to the bus... the main switch only disconnects the battery bank.
                    Earl
                    2022 Imagine 22RBE
                    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
                    Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Working...
                    X