Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

Weight Distribution Spring Bars

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Not the case in my half ton setup, where I use both air bags and a weight distribution hitch. Much of the weight is transferred by the hitch and ride height is adjusted with the bags.

    Jim
    The WDH on the truck should be adjusted to the level ride height of the trailer. That is the first step for adjusting a WDH. Yes air bags, sumo springs, RoadMaster Active Suspension etc...... can help with the height/squat but it all starts with a WDH that has been properly adjust for the level height of the trailer. If you don't have the proper height adjustment of a WDH nothing extra will solve that problem.

    Charles and Susan
    2018 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 crew cab
    Roadmaster Active Suspension HD
    Equalizer w/ 1,000 lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RB

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ckreef View Post

      The WDH on the truck should be adjusted to the level ride height of the trailer. That is the first step for adjusting a WDH. Yes air bags, sumo springs, RoadMaster Active Suspension etc...... can help with the height/squat but it all starts with a WDH that has been properly adjust for the level height of the trailer. If you don't have the proper height adjustment of a WDH nothing extra will solve that problem.
      Charles,

      I believe we are all saying the same thing. Bars transfer weight. Bags adjust ride height....of the TV. The video link I provided shows how to setup using both systems.

      My half ton tows perfectly with no bottoming of my TV suspension on the worse Michigan roads, no sway, and practically imperceivable truck suck. This is due to a a set up with zero lift to the front suspension.

      Jim
      2017 Imagine 2600RB
      2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

        Charles,

        I believe we are all saying the same thing. Bars transfer weight. Bags adjust ride height....of the TV. The video link I provided shows how to setup using both systems.

        My half ton tows perfectly with no bottoming of my TV suspension on the worse Michigan roads, no sway, and practically imperceivable truck suck. This is due to a a set up with zero lift to the front suspension.

        Jim
        This is exactly how I have always setup my WDH and never needed airbags and all TVs handled really good.

        Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2018 Reflection 297RSTS

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Calbar View Post

          This is exactly how I have always setup my WDH and never needed airbags and all TVs handled really good.

          Rob
          Rob,

          At 15% tongue weight you would be at 1499 lbs. Would not be an issue with a one ton so bags would not be needed. But they might help with the ride quality.

          On my little half ton, I'm at 940lb tongue weight where static loading is not an issue but large downward accelerations of the trailer can reap havoc on rough roads. The bags plus the bars in my case have solved the issues where they absorb this energy. Setting at zero lift on the front suspension (rather than the half way point) has worked extremely well.

          A couple other suggestions on half tons with E rated LT tires is NOT to inflate them too much as this will reduce the tire contact patch and the truck will not be well grounded. I tow with 45 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. 30 psi in the bags and the Equalizer hitch is set with 6 washers.

          Hope this helps for those half ton folks.
          2017 Imagine 2600RB
          2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

            Rob,

            At 15% tongue weight you would be at 1499 lbs. Would not be an issue with a one ton so bags would not be needed. But they might help with the ride quality.

            On my little half ton, I'm at 940lb tongue weight where static loading is not an issue but large downward accelerations of the trailer can reap havoc on rough roads. The bags plus the bars in my case have solved the issues where they absorb this energy. Setting at zero lift on the front suspension (rather than the half way point) has worked extremely well.

            A couple other suggestions on half tons with E rated LT tires is NOT to inflate them too much as this will reduce the tire contact patch and the truck will not be well grounded. I tow with 45 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. 30 psi in the bags and the Equalizer hitch is set with 6 washers.

            Hope this helps for those half ton folks.
            Agreed that not needed on my 1 ton but I also didn't need them with the same trailer and a Tundra. The 1500 lb bars worked very good there too. Tundra was level as well and nearly exactly the same setup of the WDH like on my 1 ton.

            Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2018 Reflection 297RSTS

            Comment


            • #21
              Back to the topic at hand.

              Did anyone decide or have info on whether the bars are labeled at 1000# per bar or per set?

              I also think the OP needs larger bars , maybe the 1500# would be the best choice.

              Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
              2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Back to the topic at hand.

                Did anyone decide or have info on whether the bars are labeled at 1000# per bar or per set?

                I also think the OP needs larger bars , maybe the 1500# would be the best choice.

                Brian
                Op confirmed with the manufacturer that they are per set. Yes probably needs 1200 or 1500 lb bars.

                Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2018 Reflection 297RSTS

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Back to the topic at hand.

                  Did anyone decide or have info on whether the bars are labeled at 1000# per bar or per set?

                  I also think the OP needs larger bars , maybe the 1500# would be the best choice.

                  Brian
                  Bars are listed as the support in pairs.

                  Jim
                  2017 Imagine 2600RB
                  2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by scdock View Post
                    MidwestCamper Food for thought on the airbags. I have thought about adding them but haven't decided.
                    Ride quality can be very subjective. If you want a ride while towing that is similar to your non-towing ride, send me a PM and I would be happy to help you set up your system with air bags and WD hitch. Just returned this morning and other than the most offensive road inputs, my half ton truck rides as smooth towing as non-towing. Truck suck is barely perceivable.

                    Jim

                    2017 Imagine 2600RB
                    2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I wanted to follow up not his thread, since I started it. I contacted our dealer and they requested I bring the trailer in so they could weigh. They agreed the WDH they sold me was not sufficient for the tongue weight and upgraded to 1200lb support. I only paid the difference between the 2 hitches. They hooked everything up and ensured the hitch was properly installed. I towed our rig this weekend and there was a noticeable difference. Great support from our dealer and couldn't be happier. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Good information all around.
                      2120 Imagine 2670MK
                      2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        scdock

                        Glad you got this sorted out and your dealer helped you. Also glad you felt a difference when towing. This is a testament to having the correct equipment and set up properly. You may still wish to visit a scale and check your weights to ensure that you are at or near the best set up on the WDH.

                        Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
                        2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Country Campers Agreed. Fortunately I have access to a CAT scale 7 miles from home. I have weight results using my old hitch and am curious if there were any significant changes.
                          2120 Imagine 2670MK
                          2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X