How to remove substance from exterior Solitude 2930RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove substance from exterior Solitude 2930RL

On the front window of our Solitude S-Class 2930, there is a sticky glue like material running down below the front window. It appears to be glue like substance from when they installed an LED light strip along the seam. It is now running down the fiberglass exterior. It is sticky to the touch and regular soap and water has no effect on it.

What can I use to remove it without harming the fiberglass? Thanks

Robert

Dawn Platinum Powerwash is an amazing product. Try it in a small test area and it most likely will remove the adhesive. Otherwise a cleaner wax will cut it while avoiding decals.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Dawn Platinum Powerwash is an amazing product. Try it in a small test area and it most likely will remove the adhesive. Otherwise a cleaner wax will cut it while avoiding decals.

Jim
      Thanks for the tips Jim. Yes, the Dawn Platinum Powerwash is amazing, very familiar with it. Unfortunately it didn’t even touch it. Neither did a cleaner wax. It appears to be a petroleum substance. I just tried a very small area with denatured alcohol and it knocked it out instantly. So I guess my question should now be will denatured alcohol cause damage to the exterior? LOL

Comment

I have used Goo Gone to remove dealership stickers from the sidewall. (Follow with a good wash with Dawn.)

https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Orig...%2C166&sr=8-13

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I decided to call Grand Design customer service and they were very helpful. Rubbing alcohol (70%) is ok to use, not denatured alcohol. I just tried a bigger area and it did the trick. Thanks all for your input.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Captrobmoore View Post
            I decided to call Grand Design customer service and they were very helpful. Rubbing alcohol (70%) is ok to use, not denatured alcohol. I just tried a bigger area and it did the trick. Thanks all for your input.

Robert
            I would also pass those pictures on to Customer Service, they may be interested in what is going on with the glue.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the tips Jim. Yes, the Dawn Platinum Powerwash is amazing, very familiar with it. Unfortunately it didn’t even touch it. Neither did a cleaner wax. It appears to be a petroleum substance. I just tried a very small area with denatured alcohol and it knocked it out instantly. So I guess my question should now be will denatured alcohol cause damage to the exterior? LOL
              That's interesting. When looking for a product to remove Orange Glow build up from wood floors I tested every chemical available including alcohol and only the Dawn removed it. So the chemical properties must be right.

The alcohol will not harm the fiberglass as it evaporates quickly. Glad you got this solved.

Jim

Comment

Captrobmoore

Were you by chance camping under pine trees? This stuff looks a little like pine sap or other. If so you may want to check the roof as well.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Captrobmoore

Were you by chance camping under pine trees? This stuff looks a little like pine sap or other. If so you may want to check the roof as well.

Brian
                  According to Grand Design they use an epoxy when installing the strip of LED lights and sometimes this can happen when it was shipped down to a warmer climate like Florida and it will run a bit (please don’t shoot the messenger LOL). To me it looks like they used an epoxy that wasn’t mixed right and didn’t cure correctly.

Yes it was parked under a hammock of Oak trees at the dealership. What you see is stuff falling from the trees and sticking to the epoxy. When I purchased it (December 2022), I did not observe what I showed you in the photos. Wasn’t until I got home I discovered it and after closer observation on a ladder discovered the mess. I did check the roof, it was fine. Thanks

Rob

Comment

I think you have a failure of the strip. All of the strips I have seen have a silicone type cover making it a continuous "D" shape. In the first pic, it appears the individual LED's are exposed and the top of the light is not "smooth" as one would expect.

By chance did you notice the goo after having the light on for an extended period of time? It almost looks like the light over heated melting the protective cover.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      I think you have a failure of the strip. All of the strips I have seen have a silicone type cover making it a continuous "D" shape. In the first pic, it appears the individual LED's are exposed and the top of the light is not "smooth" as one would expect.

By chance did you notice the goo after having the light on for an extended period of time? It almost looks like the light over heated melting the protective cover.
                      That’s a great point, I am going to forward GD some more photos. We personally have not left the lights on for any period of time, but the unit did sit in the dealers lot for over a month and it could have been turned and left on. I will update after I hear back from Grand Design. Appreciate everyone’s input.

Rob

Comment

Spoke with GD Customer Service today about the lights. Went over with them again about what was happening. They advised again that the gooey mess was not from the lights overheating and melting. When installed they use an adhesive and when exposed to extreme heat from the sun constantly, the adhesive can sometimes melt and run. They advised that they will replace the lights under warranty.

I’m satisfied with them replacing the lights but it does raise the question will this happen again, after all I do reside in Florida. For now I will clean up best I can and make an appointment with our dealer for the fall when we return from the Northeast. I’m sure I will have more added to the list by then

Thanks to everyone who gave their input, it is very much appreciated.

Rob

Comment

I’m satisfied with them replacing the lights but it does raise the question will this happen again, after all I do reside in Florida.
                          The strip lights on the front of my 315RLTS had the top coating fail (the lights still worked). No evidence of the streaking as shown in your posts. While at the factory for non-related work GD installed new ones for me...but they are starting to do the same thing (lose the top coat). I'm in Florida, too, so don't be surprised if the new lights eventually have an issue as well.

For pics see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...t-cap-v-lights

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Can you get a better pic of the strip. Also have you used any chemicals to clean the front of the unit or applied any type of protection to the front? Odd questions, but the shear volume of the Goo makes me question if it's the adhesive.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              Can you get a better pic of the strip. Also have you used any chemicals to clean the front of the unit or applied any type of protection to the front? Odd questions, but the shear volume of the Goo makes me question if it's the adhesive.
                              I just purchased new and personally did not put any chemicals or apply anything to them. I did use rubbing alcohol to get streaks off the fiberglass. I was instructed by GD customer service that I could use alcohol to try and get the goo off the strips but we both agreed that may damage the strip lights, which are currently working fine. I’m going to try and clean the area right up to the strip lights but will not actually try and clean the light strips.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X