Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running coax cable through pin box

Hello,
    I am installing a GMC auxiliary back up camera on my coach. To do so I plan to run the coax under the trailer and into the front compartment. From there I can go through the front wall but would much prefer to route the cable up and through, exiting near the pin box. From there it would drop down with the current electrical wiring. Note that I have relocated the camera connection from the bumper to inside the box.
    Is there a path to the pin box from the front compartment that exists or am I stuck drilling the front wall?
    Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Brad
    BradF
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

I fished a coat hanger size wire from the pin box back to the front compartment to pull a wire thru. The only issue I had was getting caught in some of the insulation. There is a couple screws that hold the pan up beside the pin box, you could loosen those for a little more room, retighten when done.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Agreed with Brian. I took those screws out completely and used a stiff fiberglass fish line. I pulled two 4awg wires through for my DC/DC charger lines so coax cable should go through easy.

Let us know how the GM camera project goes as I would love to do that but have a hard time spending the money on that camera even though it looks great and I love that it works with the stock camera dash system. Are you relocating the connection from the rear bumper up into the bed?
      David and Deana
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
      2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Country Campers WondersAwait; thanks for the information. It looks like my mine has a 4" metal junction box under there, did you go through that with your pull wire?

Regarding relocating the camera plug from the bumper to the bed. Its not really that difficult. To move the plug there are two cable extensions needed and I have that information and the company that sells them if you are interested. Note that most people are moving the current 7/4 pin in the bed to the bumper location from where the 7 pin / camera plugs are now. Essentially exchanging one for the other.
        Brad
        BradF
        2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

BradF

I went along side the pin box, I did not go from the middle back.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Thanks Brian, appreciate the advice.
            Brad
            BradF
            2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

While you are around that metal box you may want to replace it, Amazon.com: MICTUNING 7 Way Electrical Trailer Junction Box - 7 Gang Trailer Wire Connection Box Weatherproof for Rewiring Camper RV Caravans Boat Light 7 Way Trailer Wire Connectors : Automotive​. Plenty here have done this and I am just trying to add another project to your list.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian, I don't want to run out of projects !
                BradF
                2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

BradF Replacing the box (if you ever open it it will make sense) is to minimize or eliminate the possibility of headaches and issues later. I did mine and it took longer than I would have liked, BUT all of the wires now have ring terminals and are clearly much easier to see.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Brad, I'm installing a RAM OEM Camera and cable on my Reflection 5th wheel, and would like to know how you ran the cable up to your camera. And anything else you can share with your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SJJohnson View Post
                      Brad, I'm installing a RAM OEM Camera and cable on my Reflection 5th wheel, and would like to know how you ran the cable up to your camera. And anything else you can share with your experience.
                      Welcome to the forum, SJJohnson. Please take a moment to read the Welcome Letter (link on the home page) where you'll learn about tagging members and using the Quote feature. Unless you do one or the other, the member you're questioning may not know there's a query waiting for them. A tag is like this: BradF -- see post 10 for a question from new member SJJohnson.

There's a LOT more to digging in to the wealth of information here -- I hope you'll take advantage of it.

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

SJJohnson;
                        So I ran the camera cable from the back of the trailer down and under and along the drivers side frame using metal/ rubber insulated cable clamps. To do so I removed some of the self tapping screws that hold up the Coroplast liner and reused them to hold up the cable clamps, cable and liner.
                        I routed the cable along the frame and up into the front storage compartment. Being careful to keep the loom protected from road debris and water as much as possible.
                        From there I went through the front wall using a waterproof 3/4" NM strain relief grommet (Home Depot). These have a vinyl insert that seals tight on the wire loom. GMC uses a 1/2" loom, so the 3/4" grommet works perfect. FYI- a 1/2" grommet does not mean a 1/2" wire size.
                        From there I used the existing screws that attach the aluminum skin to the under side up to and next to the pin box and more cable clamps. At that point , I bundled the camera cable with the existing power cable. Seems to work good and looks OK.
                        Hope this helps you with your project.
                        Brad
                        BradF
                        2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Originally posted by BradF View Post
                          SJJohnson;
                          So I ran the camera cable from the back of the trailer down and under and along the drivers side frame using metal/ rubber insulated cable clamps. To do so I removed some of the self tapping screws that hold up the Coroplast liner and reused them to hold up the cable clamps, cable and liner.
                          I routed the cable along the frame and up into the front storage compartment. Being careful to keep the loom protected from road debris and water as much as possible.
                          From there I went through the front wall using a waterproof 3/4" NM strain relief grommet (Home Depot). These have a vinyl insert that seals tight on the wire loom. GMC uses a 1/2" loom, so the 3/4" grommet works perfect. FYI- a 1/2" grommet does not mean a 1/2" wire size.
                          From there I used the existing screws that attach the aluminum skin to the under side up to and next to the pin box and more cable clamps. At that point , I bundled the camera cable with the existing power cable. Seems to work good and looks OK.
                          Hope this helps you with your project.
                          Brad
                          Hi Brad, I am looking to do the same thing with my GMC. Did you buy the camera from GM or can you use any camera with the cabling? Can you share a few photos of how you ran cable from front storage over to and in the Pin Box? I have a HaloView rear camera but my transmitter is not syncing this year. I want to use the GMC option for the "invisible trailer view" or whatever its called that my truck can do.
                          thanks
                          Rob
                          2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to the forum, SJJohnson. Please take a moment to read the Welcome Letter (link on the home page) where you'll learn about tagging members and using the Quote feature. Unless you do one or the other, the member you're questioning may not know there's a query waiting for them. A tag is like this: BradF -- see post 10 for a question from new member SJJohnson.

There's a LOT more to digging in to the wealth of information here -- I hope you'll take advantage of it.

Howard
                            Thanks Howard, I appreciate the help!

Comment

BradF
                              Thanks Brad for the info. I plan on running the cable under the rig on the driver's side also. I plan to bring it up through the propane compartment, then into the front compartment and out to the pin box. But I'm still trying to figure out the cleanest way to get the cable up to the camera. Any insight into how you did it would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X