Dometic Awning Replacement with Lippert Solera XL 20'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic Awning Replacement with Lippert Solera XL 20'

I have a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BHS. I am needing to replace the 20' Dometic 9100 awning.

I plan to replace it with a Lippert Solera XL Awning.

Couple Questions:

Do I have to go back with a full 20' ? The Lippert Solera will fit right back where the Dometic came out but if that area is not studded or reinforced I'm thinking I could install say a 15".

Does anyone have do's and don'ts for a full install? I saw a thread for replacing fabric which was somewhat helpful.

Anyone have the Lippert Solera XL? what do you think?

Appreciate y'all

Jon

Hi Jon,

Where the factory fastens an awning, there is EGS (electro galvanized sheet) metal bonded to the back of the exterior skin to help retain the attachment screws. To attach an awning at a different location might not be wise. If you contact Grand Design Customer Service with your VIN, they will likely send you a wall drawing showing where there is EGS.

I have a Solera awning from the factory. I have replaced the fabric once and the hinge fasteners (that lost their "caps") with bolts . . . but other than that the awning continues to function. (We don't use it much . . . it is a rather "fragile" contraption)

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2877.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	111113
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jonmajors62 -- there's a Reference Library thread about EGS that might be helpful, too: EGS -- What It Is and How To Find It (in your RV)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Jon,

Where the factory fastens an awning, there is EGS (electro galvanized sheet) metal bonded to the back of the exterior skin to help retain the attachment screws. To attach an awning at a different location might not be wise. If you contact Grand Design Customer Service with your VIN, they will likely send you a wall drawing showing where there is EGS.

I have a Solera awning from the factory. I have replaced the fabric once and the hinge fasteners (that lost their "caps") with bolts . . . but other than that the awning continues to function. (We don't use it much . . . it is a rather "fragile" contraption)

Rob

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2877.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	111113

Thanks Rob

I figured it was reinforced so I will just go with the 20" awning. Like you we don't use ours much but it is worth having a working option.

Thanks again
        Jon

Comment

Working...
        X