'23 337RLS - Door has to be "SLAMMED" to catch and stay closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jomani View Post
    I used a high quality dry silicone lube for a while. Seemed to work for a couple of weeks then back to slamming. I finally decided to remove the entire mechanism and cut a couple of coils off the spring. I still get a secure latch with a much smoother close. Since I always lock the deadbolt when traveling,I am not concerned about the door opening.

We met up with my brother in-law and his wife - heading to Northern California this weekend for a week of camping. They have a 2022 Reflection 280RS 150 Series that they bought from the same dealer we did a couple months later.

I noticed them struggling to close the door - slamming it. Since I had already remedied the slamming door issue on our 303RLS, I offered to walk him through it while I video taped it. Below is a link to that video. Please note - I never travel without locking the deadbolt on the trailer. While I am 100% confident that this modification is safe, please consult a professional before trying this at home.​

2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
    YouTube Chanel

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but with our class C we picked up the habit of pulling the handle, closing the door, release the handle and then make sure that the latch is seated. Less wear and tear on the parts involved and much quieter for the neighbors.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
        Maybe it is just me, but with our class C we picked up the habit of pulling the handle, closing the door, release the handle and then make sure that the latch is seated. Less wear and tear on the parts involved and much quieter for the neighbors.
        I tend to do the same, (I cringe when I see the whole side of the trailer flex when someone slams the door) but the inside handle is so small it often requires two hands to close the door. My previous 5th wheel and my cargo trailer have never had this issue. The mechanism on both looks very similar but the spring pressure on the Reflection is significantly higher.

I don’t believe this is just a Grand Design issue either. When we were trailer shopping, that was one of my tests - how well do the doors close and latch. I can’t tell you how many times the salesman would demonstrate the slam latched on storage areas only to have the door bounce back open. If I can’t close any door with one finger I have to fix it.
        2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
        2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
        YouTube Chanel

Comment

Jomani I’ve had issues with our door since we picked up our 5v’r, wife, kids, folks, and friends couldn’t shut the door to save their lives. I’ve “adjusted” the striker so many times it’s not even funny, all of our camping friends know our door is a PITA. Saw your post and watched the video……..performed the “spring trim” today and wha-la, door closes with 1 finger!

The simple things! Life saver, thank you sir!
          Last edited by Gr8fulcamper!; 05-16-2023, 09:34 PM.
          2022 Reflection 278BH 150 Series
          2024 Ram 2500 Hemi

Comment

We met up with my brother in-law and his wife - heading to Northern California this weekend for a week of camping. They have a 2022 Reflection 280RS 150 Series that they bought from the same dealer we did a couple months later.

I noticed them struggling to close the door - slamming it. Since I had already remedied the slamming door issue on our 303RLS, I offered to walk him through it while I video taped it. Below is a link to that video. Please note - I never travel without locking the deadbolt on the trailer. While I am 100% confident that this modification is safe, please consult a professional before trying this at home.​
            Hi, I have a 2022 280RS as well and had entry door difficulty. When I swapped my lock out to the "RV lock" keyed/keyless electronic system I still had issues. After inspection, I tried to adjust the striker plate on the jamb. There was not enough lateral adjustment area. The door jamb area is very similar to a house storm door in thickness, so not much area for adjustment. I took the jamb striker plate off to test and found that it worked perfectly with the rectangular jamb cutout to the new lock and deadbolt. I always dead bolt as well when I leave it anywhere so it works well for me. When I have time I will mod a new striker plate and reinstall but for now it works and seals perfectly without it and the bolt extends far enough into the jamb slot to be secure.

The mod and lubrication in the video is a great solution. If I were still using the GD lock I would do that.
            good luck!
            Rob
            2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

I tend to do the same, (I cringe when I see the whole side of the trailer flex when someone slams the door) but the inside handle is so small it often requires two hands to close the door. My previous 5th wheel and my cargo trailer have never had this issue. The mechanism on both looks very similar but the spring pressure on the Reflection is significantly higher.

I don’t believe this is just a Grand Design issue either. When we were trailer shopping, that was one of my tests - how well do the doors close and latch. I can’t tell you how many times the salesman would demonstrate the slam latched on storage areas only to have the door bounce back open. If I can’t close any door with one finger I have to fix it.
              Actually we have learned to manipulate them one handed. Two fingers on the latch, two on the solid part, and the thumb looking for something to do.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I just purchased a 23 337RLS as well and found many issues with the rig. One of them being the door was difficult to open and close. When I went in for the PDI, I mentioned this as we were walking out to start and the dealership told me they had found some bent hinges that were causing binding and not allowing the door to function properly. They had it fixed prior to me arriving and to my surprise the door worked very smoothly and had no issues opening or closing. I am sure you have looked at all the hinges for defects, but wanted to add my experience in case others are having similar issues with the new 337RLS. For reference my PDI was July 6th. Hope you were able to get this fixed.
                David
                2023 F350 Super Duty XLT DRW
                2023 GD Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Jomani TY. This is the solution I was looking for. The dealer couldn't figure out this fix. You're a bright man. Gave you a like on youtube too.
                  2022 GD Transcend BH261

Ram 1500 pulling it

Comment

We had an issue like this with our old camper. I found that putting a slight angle on the striker plate made the door close much easier.
                    Snayte
                    2023 Xplor 240ML
                    2022 Ram 2500

Comment

Working...
                    X