Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window screens

Hello

I've got a couple of questions about the bug screens on windows. Here's a photo of one of mine, after it was replaced under warranty for the retaining rubber (what's it called by the way?) coming out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230625_130457.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	115182

That rubber thing appears to have been stretched into place, or else it shrinks after a few months. But then again it only happens on this specific window. Has anyone else experienced this? I already pushed it back in 3 times. It stays for a few days and then is out at this corner again.

Should I take the whole thing out and get it in without stretching, possibly leaving a length of screen unattached? Where can I get replacements for it? I asked the dealer, the guy didn't know.

Second question: I'm hoping to wash all the screens in the next few days. They're very dusty. My understanding is that they need to be removed before they can be washed effectively. I already tried vacuuming, it's not enough. Is that the way to go? I guess once I start I'll figure out how each screen pan is attached? It looks like there are at least 3 styles.

Thanks in advance.
    2021 Transcend 247BH

AndrewSmith

That rubber is called screen spline. You'll find it at any big box hardware store. For the screen with the spline that's popping out (too short?) it's not too hard to replace. There are lots of videos on YouTube--search for install screen spline.

I don't remember reading a thread with anyone else having this issue.

Taking the screens out is (IMO) the best way to clean the screens if washing is the process. They aren't easy to remove or reinstall, but it can be done.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard!
      2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

If you choose to re roll the spline into the screen, leave the spline a little long as they tend to shrink or go back to original length if they get any stretch in them when rolling into position.

I've seen the corner come out of home windows and I think may previous 5er had one screen do the same. I have also seen the rubber window retainer pull out in the corners.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

They make a little roller tool to make it easier to place the screen spline in the channel, but if you are just going to add a little length to the screen, as opposed to doing the whole screen, I doubt you will need the tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-75...02781043&psc=1
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
          X