Roof Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Brand

Does anyone know what type roof is on the 2023's? I am looking to change out the small vent fans to the Maxxair fans and need to re-seal the new flange with self leveling sealant. Problen is in my manual it states that Alphaply roof membrane use only 5121 Alphathane self leveling sealant. If this is the case, then I can't use Dicor? XLS 17MKE Not sure what brand this roof is.

Originally posted by bayoupr View Post
    Does anyone know what type roof is on the 2023's? I am looking to change out the small vent fans to the Maxxair fans and need to re-seal the new flange with self leveling sealant. Problen is in my manual it states that Alphaply roof membrane use only 5121 Alphathane self leveling sealant. If this is the case, then I can't use Dicor? XLS 17MKE Not sure what brand this roof is.
    It's definitely an Alpha roof. The question is what type of Alpha roof. Due to environmental reasons (something about "VOCs") GD was forced to switch from the tried-and-true Alpha Superflex roof to a newer style. The newer style does come with extra requirements when it comes to prep.

Sorry that I don't have the specifics -- the moderators need to get this info! -- but it is important to know which type of Alpha is on your unit. (The year of your GDRV makes me suspect it could be either type.)

Bottom line--give GD Customer Service a call. Have your VIN handy and they will be able to definitively identify the type installed on your unit.

Howard

P.S. Please do the forum the favor of following up with the results, and if it's the newer style what type of prep GD advises with the work you're doing. TIA!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Their response, "You have an Alpha roof that uses Alphathane for the self leveling sealant". I don't see any reason why I can't use Dicor. My roof is TPO.

Comment

bayoupr I just did a fan and skylight replacement on my 2023 2800BH and used dicor. It did great. I did a post about the process if you want to check it out.
        • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
        • 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6 Duramax (LML)
        • Family Travels with kids and dog
        • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by bayoupr View Post
          Their response, "You have an Alpha roof that uses Alphathane for the self leveling sealant". I don't see any reason why I can't use Dicor. My roof is TPO.
          The brand of sealant conversation (almost) rivals the debate over oil or lubricant -- everyone uses what seems right to them. I personally don't see the advantage to Dicor since the Alpha brand is readily available at Amazon and a rebranded version is available at Camping World. Using the roof OEM's brand of sealant removes all possible doubt that there could be issue--but to each there own.

Don't get me wrong. In a pinch I'd use the Dicor without hesitation.

As with many topics on this forum, a difference of opinion (and subsequent expression of that opinion with rationale) is encouraged.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I changed out the two skylights on our unit and used both, Alpha on one and Dicor on the other. This was two years ago. The Dicor has held up better and looks better after the two years. This is my experience.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Working...
            X