Roof membrane separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof membrane separation

I see lots of posts about the membrane separating from the roof decking. Has anyone had it so bad on a single trip that it actually rips the membrane on the A/C flashing? I have reached out the GD and so far the have said I cut the membrane and it’s not there problem. In the pictures you can clearly see the shape of the flashing and the shape of the cut match perfectly. I have gotten my dealer involved now we will see how it goes from here.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help GD understand this wasn’t my doing but the glue issue I have read so much about?

PS. I live in West Texas the roof is alway brown 5 mins after you wash it.

Originally posted by Matthew.yeoman3 View Post
    I see lots of posts about the membrane separating from the roof decking. Has anyone had it so bad on a single trip that it actually rips the membrane on the A/C flashing? I have reached out the GD and so far the have said I cut the membrane and it’s not there problem. In the pictures you can clearly see the shape of the flashing and the shape of the cut match perfectly. I have gotten my dealer involved now we will see how it goes from here.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help GD understand this wasn’t my doing but the glue issue I have read so much about?

PS. I live in West Texas the roof is alway brown 5 mins after you wash it.
    First question that comes to my mind is how did the air conditioner move enough to rip the roof? That question would lead me to check the bolts on the a/c unit to ensure they are torqued correctly.

Pic below is from the Lippert Technical Institute's online webinar on the Furrion air conditioner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	294
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	116569

The roof doesn't look right -- call back to GD and, with patient persistence, keep asking. Document each phone call and who you speak with--if the person is unhelpful ask for someone else to assist you or ask for a supervisor. Again, patient persistence is (unfortunately) probably going to be required.

In the meantime that hole needs patching ASAP. I'd remove the air conditioner, patch it, and then reinstall the a/c. At minimum the dealer should consider this a priority to keep water damage from further harming your unit. If they can't (or won't) respond (and you can't do the work yourself) pay a mobile technician to do it and then pursue reimbursement later (with no promise you'll get your money back). Leaving that hole in the roof is a non-starter. It must be fixed.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson thank you for the response. The AC is secure as can be.

What appears to have happened is the glue that holds the membrane to the decking gave loose. Allowing the membrane to balloon as I have seen a many do while driving with what looks like an air pocket on the roof. It must have done it early on in our 7hr drive.
      If you notice in the picture the metal flashing is roughly 1” above the membrane. The only way for the membrane to reach there is for the A/C to fall through the roof or the membrane went up to the AC. The AC did not fall through the roof!

Comment

howson thank you for the response. The AC is secure as can be.

What appears to have happened is the glue that holds the membrane to the decking gave loose. Allowing the membrane to balloon as I have seen a many do while driving with what looks like an air pocket on the roof. It must have done it early on in our 7hr drive.
        If you notice in the picture the metal flashing is roughly 1” above the membrane. The only way for the membrane to reach there is for the A/C to fall through the roof or the membrane went up to the AC. The AC did not fall through the roof!
        I agree with your diagnosis. To balloon air has to get underneath right? So there must be a gap between the front cap and the roof material? Thinking about it some more, I guess it's possible (like an airfoil) for the air moving across the top of the roofing material to create lift which would pull up. (That's an educated guess on my part.)

Regardless (forgive the repetitiveness), consider getting that hole fixed ASAP. Water entering the roof will do a lot of damage very quickly.

Please come back and document the outcome.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That is what I am thinking as well, with the amount of air that is displaced by the front cap there has to be major lifting effect at the front end.

I have a scheduled appointment tomorrow with my dealer I will be sure to give an update as they come.

Comment

Well I have good news!!!! The dealer did their inspection and submitting the warranty request. GD respond within 1 business day giving authorization for a new roof.

Comment

Well I have good news!!!! The dealer did their inspection and submitting the warranty request. GD respond within 1 business day giving authorization for a new roof.
              Glad this worked out in your favor. Please update and let us know it turns out.
              Mike and (RIP Karen)
              2021 2600RB
              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

I wonder if you can have a https://rv-armor.com/?gad=1&gclid=Cj...BoC_o4QAvD_BwE and just pay the difference?
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                X