Cap to Roof Trim Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap to Roof Trim Issue

Bit different issue, but while doing my 3 month washing and looking over the outside of the RV saw this and now need to figure out what happened and how to get it fixed.
    This is at the junction of the front cap and membrane, not sure why it would pull up hard enough to pull the screws out? RV has been stationary since March so it's not road related stress from twisting or a tree branch. I'm the only one that goes up on the roof, but only if it's not too hot or cold. We've had a hotter than normal summer here in WA, but nothing like what other states have been having.

Input on what may have caused this and the best way to get it repaired welcomed.
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
    ...not sure why it would pull up hard enough to pull the screws out?
    Guess on my part, but the stress was there from the initial manufacture/installation. Over time the screw grip weakened and the sealant wasn't near enough to hold it in place.

I'd remove all the sealant and that trim piece. Unless there was something obvious, reinstall the trim and screws, possibly going up on screw size (likely a #8 to a #10). Dip screws in silicone prior to installation. During installation get all the screws started first, then snug them down in a pattern like the bolts on a wheel (hope that makes sense).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Adding to the above I would try to bend that piece to match the contour of the roof before installation. It may have been bent the wrong way at initial installation.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for the input.
        Bad part is I was doing my 3 month wash, clean, inspect a bit early due to having purchased a piece of property a few miles from the property I've been renting as I like to make sure the slides are clean before moving them. All my spare time has been going into things like getting a 50 AMP power source, RV hookup to the septic, water, internet, and creating a nice gravel pad for the RV to sit on so my plate is already overfull - really didn't need this.
        If I'm remembering correctly, in another thread regarding sealants & roofs someone said to make sure you only use a putty knife without sharp edges and a heat gun as needed to remove the old sealant? And to not try to remove every last bit of the old sealant. Hazard being it's better to leave a bit of sealant vs cutting the membrane.
        Any chance this should be a warranty item?

Chris
        2019 Solitude 3740BH
        2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Ours is a 2022 and had the same issue. I peeled off as much sealant as I could. The first three screws had the heads twisted off. I added new screws and sealant. So far it is ok.
          ​​​
          Dustin and Samantha
          2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
          2021 Chevy Silverado - 3.0 Duramax - B&W Continuum

Comment

TheNescios

A call to Customer Service might be a good idea, never hurts to ask to see if they will help. If the answer is no then ask if they would recommend a proper repair procedure.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
            X