Exterior Roof/Wall Rail Sealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Roof/Wall Rail Sealing

Hello. In doing some preventative maintenance of the sealants on the roof, I noticed that there is very little to no sealant used under this rail along the wall. On one hand I could see where it would be intentionally left unsealed to allow water a place to exit in case it ever did penetrate from above. On the other hand, if capillary action is in play, water might actually enter this location from below. What is the consensus for sealing this area? Will try to include a marked-up picture of the area I am typing about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4821.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	121803
    2021 Momentum 397TH

So that part is the gutter rail, awning fabric attachment, and termination strip for the roof membrane which overhangs the side wall. Unfortunately the only attachment screws are above the gutter section and behind a thin plastic cover. There are no screws attaching the section below the awning fabric as you can see in your photo. You csn seal thar if you like but it may hold water as you suggested.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would focus on maintaining a proper seal on the top side of the gutter rail (and the attachment of the rail, itself, to the sidewall)... therein lies the risk for bad things to happen.

Mike
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I would leave it without so that any water can drain. I would however take out each screw, add a dab of sealant and put it back in. Seals the screws that way for some added protection.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

doenute

I would add one comment to Calbar's suggestion on taking out each screw and adding sealant for additional protection. If you do this, take out ONLY ONE screw at a time as that rail is holding the spring loaded awning fabric to the trailer. Not sure how much you've read on this forum, but from what I remember howson did a similar procedure, but took all the awning screws out at the same time and the awning sprung out at him.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I agree with only one screw at a time. Thanks for clearing up my omission.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts. I have already replaced all the screws with stainless and sealant and did every other one 2X around. In my case there was only just a few where it was evident water or condensation was penetrating along the screw. I will leave the lower edge of this rail unsealed--that seems to make sense to me too. FYI for others t was just under 200 screws and it took the better part of a day of work.
              2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

Working...
              X