awning position(s) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awning position(s) question

It’s been my past experience and understanding that when I extend my awning completely out and pull down on one adjustment arm for water shedding purposes that when it’s time for me to retract the awning, the retracted arm should automatically return to its regular position (I’ve even read in reliable literature that there is “no need it attempt to return the adjusted side arm, it will be done automatically”). And when I extend the awning on the next occasion, if I want the water/rain shed affect again, I would need to manually pull it down, per the directions on the sticker on either arm again.

All this is perfectly fine, however, lately, when I extend the awning out, it returns to the slanted orientation automatically whether I like it or not, and sometimes that is not my preference.

Any and all suggestions and input are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 02-22-2020, 09:39 PM. Reason: Spell correction
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

I am going to go against your "reliable literature". When the awning is extended and you pull down for water shedding there is a knob to tighten to hold this position. If left in this position and then retracted it should retract in a crooked manner and also put stress on the "short" arm tha has been set for water shedding. I would not do this and always return loosen the knob allowing the arm to return to normal position.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My 2600rb w/ 21' awning does not have a knob to tighten it down in the "rain shed" position. You just pull down on the lower rod joint and it stays in that position. My owners manual clearly states that it is okay to retract the awning in this "rain shed" position. When it gets close to the end of retracting everything straightens out ready for the next time you put the awning out.

Charles and Susan
      2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Schiefswret and Country Campers (Brian),

I think you're both right. Lippert and Dometic awnings are different. First, from the Lippert Solera Awning manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solera.JPG
Views:	781
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	13091

Second, from a Dometic Power Awning manual (which is what is on my 315RLTS and likely also your 29RS, Brian):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Awning.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	13092

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Schiefswret is your awning like I described in my previous post? With my awning, when retracted if that joint didn't straighten back out then the bottom of the arm would not sit flush against the TT. If it didn't sit back flush against the TT when retracted my guess would be something got slightly bent (maybe with some wind) so that joint was binding up. If it didn't get bent then maybe it needs a little lubrication.

I haven't had my TT long but every time I've put the awning out i have pulled down on one arm to get it into the "rain shed" position. I've never straightened it out before retracting the awning.

Charles and Susan
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Mine is a Solera awning and works as shown in the above post.
            Charles and Susan
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

To all: I’ve inspected my Solera model carefully and there is no adjustment knob. Much thanks for the pics and directions. In the meantime I’ve discovered the solution mostly accidentally and and somewhat with a little more research. I extended the awning all the way out and then back all the way closed several times until the awning leveled out and both arms were in their proper position/angle, allowing me to pull down on one side (per directions) to permit water shedding. So if the problem raises its ugly head again, I’ll know what to do. Again, I appreciate all the responses!
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Special thanks to Brian!
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55