Window Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Leak

Having significant water come in between the window frame and wall at the non-venting window at the stove. Of course this is also a slideout(with topper). This is a frameless double pane. In the photo I show where a puddle of water is located and beads of water are observed after a thunderstorm.

Has anyone seen this? I am wondering if it has the do with the outside vent in the microwave, but nothing comes through the microwave, only between window frame and wall. The puddle forms regardless of the vent being open or latched shut.

Are these frameless windows just held in place by the screws on the inside frame? I was not able to tighten any of them with any reasonable force--they are all snug already.

Any ideas appreciated! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	131390
    Last edited by doenute; 04-02-2024, 08:22 PM.
    2021 Momentum 397TH

Originally posted by doenute View Post
    Are these frameless windows just held in place by the screws on the inside frame?
    I think the window is a Lippert 3000 series picture window (3000PW). Go to https://support.lci1.com/3000-series-window There are manuals and other technical information that should help you disassemble the window from the RV.

At some point you should find a white sticker on the frame with an RPO identifier. This is a very specific piece of information you'll need if you need to replace the window. It will look like the example below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	105
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	131404

Howard

P.S. Please follow up with what you find and how it's fixed. TIA!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The window seals on the outside look
      to be good. In thinking about it we never had leaking when RV was stored with slides in. Makes me wonder if in the recent driving rainstorm rain got under the topper and it’s the slide out itself leaking. I will try to hose onto slide top to see if I can duplicate leak before upsetting a good window installation.

2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

The window seals on the outside look
        to be good. In thinking about it we never had leaking when RV was stored with slides in. Makes me wonder if in the recent driving rainstorm rain got under the topper and it’s the slide out itself leaking. I will try to hose onto slide top to see if I can duplicate leak before upsetting a good window installation.
        Absolutely agree--knowing what the problem is before shotgunning repairs is always wise. Look forward to reading what you find out.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

The way the microwave vent is made if the foam seal on it is leaking, it can run down the inside of the wall. I did have to pull the one on the previous 5er and used butyl tape on it vs the foam stuff. BTW you can use the same stuff to seal the window if you have to pull it for some reason. The stuff will "ooze" out when compressed for a while but it does fill all the gaps nicely.

It comes in various widths and thicknesses. https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834...22&sr=8-3&th=1

Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

We were able to duplicate our leak by using a water hose and letting the water run off the slide topper. Taped off the window and still had a leak. Ours ended up being the vent. As Jlawles2 said, I replaced the vent and used Butyl tape.
            2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
            Traded 2021 Reflection 337
            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
            Formerly M&K337

Comment

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I put a LOT of water onto the top of the slide under the topper today--no water leak at all.

Next, I have a blank piece of plastic and "D" shape rubber gasket material and will simply remove the vent and block the hole and see what happens...your experiences say that the vent is the source and after looking at the window seals, it just makes no sense to me that is it. Will report back...

2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

Removed the vent and covered opening with Lexan with rubber seals. Drenched the whole side of slide out from topper to above vent. Bottom line is the vent was dry and water got in, so I will assume it is the window seals after all.

This is a frameless double pane unit--I would guess it is either 3000 or 8600 series window, When I looked at the Lippert instructions, document CCD-0003593, they did not provide any real images of what I am getting into other than the clamping ring. They talk of "installation tape or putty tape". I assume putty tape is Butyl and the foam installation tape is what is used at GD?

I'm probably making too much of this and it will be obvious when I get into it, but if anyone has any words of advice before I pull the window, it would be appreciated!

Thanks,
                Bill
                2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

...if anyone has any words of advice before I pull the window, it would be appreciated!
                  Bill,
                  Go to the Lippert Technical Institute at https://lippert.learnupon.com/users/sign_in After establishing an account, sIgn up and take the Windows course. I'm sure it will help with understanding before tackling this project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-07 171357.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	131670

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Turned out the window was not sealed in one corner due to misalignment during installation--there was nothing for the seal to press against. I moved window in the rough opening and resealed with Butyl and the leak is gone. Thanks for your thoughts with this issue.
                    2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

Working...
                    X