Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending 381m garage

I have a 2021 381m.

We don't full time. It's 2 adults and 2 toddlers taking 3 day to 2 week trips. Total weight is never an issue (18,800 - 19,100 depending on water level).

My issue is that our 4 seat Can-am takes up almost every inch of the garage but length and width. So we have nearly no space for other toys or other things i have weoght to bring but not space. I can't even fit bikes without big hassles and getting creative.

398m would have been great, but im not ready to take a huge hit simply to trade out an otherwise great and so far reliable 5th wheel. (I'd be happy to make a trade with someone though!)

Has anyone done something like this:

https://toyhaulerextensions.com/prod...dome-roof-kit/

Looks like I could add anywhere from 1 to 3 ft for around ~10k installed.

Outside of whether it's worth it...my other concern is weight distribution. With my Canam in the back (backed in!), my pin weight was at like 13% or something like that. I had to put hundreds of pounds of sandbags under the bed to get more pin weight and stabilize the drive. I think its known problem on the 381m (not the 381ms). I imagine this would only make the problem worse.​
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

At 10k installed would that match the hit you would take on trading in?

I would not do this as it would move the fulcrum point further back and may cause suspension or frame issues, let alone more loss in the pin weight area.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

timelinex

I agree with Country Campers. Besides the points he brings up, if there was an issue with the rig that required side wall replacement, roof repair, etc, that was best done at the GD Repair Facility they would refuse to work on the rig due to the aftermarket modification.

Out of the three options listed (keep what you have and deal with the hassles, trade-in to a larger unit, or add the extension) the latter is the worst option IMO.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

All great points. I guess it was just my frustration talking.

Better to keep putting up with what I got, or maybe one day buying/selling to a 398m
        2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
        2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Working...
        X